I am heading overseas for a few days. I have BIS. If I turn the "mobile network" off and only connect through the WiFi at my hotel, am I correct that I won't incur any data charges?

I don't need the phone or texting. I just want to be able to get and send emails as normal.
    02-12-10 12:04 PM
    As strange as it sounds, data needs to be turned on for wi-fi to work. If you are truly worried about charges, you could remove the SIM card. I understand that is a hassle, but it works.
    02-12-10 10:22 PM
    Well, now that I've thought about it, I guess you wouldn't send/receive e-mail as 'normal' using my method. For example, you would need to go to the G-Mail site to check your G-Mail account because having it sent to Messages is a feature of BIS. I suppose you could get an International Data plan for the duration of the trip...but I'm not sure how that works, really, as I haven't any experience with that matter.
    02-12-10 10:57 PM
    Yeah, I tried pulling the SIM yesterday and noticed that I couldn't use the BIS functions. It doesn't make sense to me though. If the mobile network is turned off, why should AT&T care what I do?
    02-13-10 12:06 AM
    I believe "turning data off" and "turning Mobile Network off" are two different things here.

In order to use data, yes, it needs to be ON. However, in your radio list, you can uncheck mobile network but leave wi-fi on. Everything will work as normal but without the calls and texts of course.
    02-13-10 12:15 AM
    The thing is, I've never been able to get wi-fi to work with the mobile network (or data) turned off--have you?
    02-13-10 12:16 AM
    "Everything will work as normal but without the calls and texts of course."

Agreed. I am just trying to confirm that I won't incur charges for using data in another country with this method (only on WiFi). What concerns me is that when I pulled the SIM, then I couldn't use email (through BIS), which made me think that it was still going through AT&T somehow.

"I've never been able to get wi-fi to work with the mobile network (or data) turned off--have you?"

Sure, I do it all the time. You can turn off the mobile network and leave data on, and everything works fine on WiFi.
    02-13-10 12:23 AM
    "you can uncheck mobile network but leave wi-fi on. Everything will work as normal but without the calls and texts of course."

I am just concerned that it will cost me. When I pulled the SIM, email wouldn't work via WiFi. So, I am concerned that it is still somehow tied to AT&T.
    02-13-10 12:24 AM
    Artemis, I was actually addressing the OP with my last comment, above. I do realize that the two are different things, perhaps I need to tweak my settings and try again for similar results as yours.
    02-13-10 12:24 AM
    Mam, perhaps with my attempts it was a wi-fi issue--or an operator issue!
    02-13-10 12:27 AM
    You do need the SIM in place to have BIS over wifi. It identifies your BB to RIM for email.

However, you won't be charged if you leave your SIM in and only use Wi-Fi. The data will only go over wifi and there won't be a problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-10 03:22 PM
    So here is the follow-up. I emailed AT&T and asked whether I would incur charges if the "mobile network" was turned off and I only connected via WiFi to use my BIS. The response:

I do apologize for any confusion, but you will be billed data usage for international WiFi access. International data pay per use rates are $.0195/KB.

Internationally, customers may find Wi-Fi service available from a wide variety of Wi-Fi providers. Each Wi-Fi provider may require the customer to purchase access to the network for some period of time. AT&T Wi-Fi Basic service does not include international Wi-Fi locations AT&T does offer international Wi-Fi access at tens of thousands of international hotspots world-wide at an additional cost.

AT&T Wi-Fi Basic service does not include international Wi-Fi locations AT&T does offer international Wi-Fi access at tens of thousands of international hotspots world-wide at an additional cost.

The email also mentions buying AT&T Premiere WiFi service 3 separate times.

I responded with: "I don't understand why I would be charged data usage if I am on a private WiFi network. When I am using the WiFi in my home, is ATT billing me for that as well?"

AT&T's response: A review of your account finds you are on the $39.99 per month Blackberry unlimited plan. This plan give you unlimited data usage on GPS. You are not billed for any WiFi usage. If you leave your home your phone will loose the WiFi connection and you are then on GPS. You are not being billed any additional charges whether you are on GPS or WiFi. Email is included with your unlimited data plan.

Putting aside the fact that AT&T doesn't realize that it uses GPRS, the canned answers are less than helpful.
    02-16-10 01:47 PM
    Did you ask about the possibility of an International Data plan for the duration of the trip? I know that wasn't the route you were wishing to go, but personally I'd be terrified of astronomical charges. Or what about having the phone unlocked and using a foreign provider, maybe even a pre-paid SIM?
    02-16-10 02:07 PM
    My 2 cents worth..... Yes you can turn off the mobile network and wifi will work fine for sending and receiving email and web browsing. You cannot make or received phone calls and data access via your carrier will not work. I also saw a post on another forum that there is a preference "No Data when Roaming" on your blackberry that will also do the same thing. I hope this helps.
    02-16-10 06:52 PM
    Did you ask about the possibility of an International Data plan for the duration of the trip?
    It isn't worth it. I am only going for a few days. I wanted to be able to get email in case of an emergency.

My 2 cents worth..... Yes you can turn off the mobile network and wifi will work fine for sending and receiving email and web browsing.
    That was my intention. However, it appears you will be charged for data usage because by having "data" turned on, it gets sent through AT&T. And, if I turn if off while roaming, then I won't get emails anyhow.
    02-16-10 09:55 PM
    i just turned off my mobile network, so i am only connected to my home wireless. i am able to load pages in the browser fine, BBM works, gmail app works. strangely, opera mini and google maps do not work.

in terms of getting charged for data usage, it shouldn't matter if you have an unlimited plan. AT&T is not monitoring where you access your wifi from.
    02-17-10 01:54 PM
    my experiences:
    turn off the mobile radio/data off when roaming
    turn on the wifi
    no problem receive/send emails
    no data charges
    02-17-10 03:45 PM
    my experiences:
    turn off the mobile radio/data off when roaming
    turn on the wifi
    no problem receive/send emails
    no data charges
    Even when not in the US? I know it will work in the US, I have done it. But, AT&T is telling me that using BIS to get and send emails in another country, even via WiFi, is going to cost me.

I know it sounds stupid, but if I take take the SIM out of my phone I lose access to BIS, even with WiFi. So, AT&T is involved even when the mobile network is turned off.
    02-17-10 06:37 PM
    Even when not in the US? I know it will work in the US, I have done it. But, AT&T is telling me that using BIS to get and send emails in another country, even via WiFi, is going to cost me.

I know it sounds stupid, but if I take take the SIM out of my phone I lose access to BIS, even with WiFi. So, AT&T is involved even when the mobile network is turned off.
    To be safe, if u wanna take out the sim card. Turn on wifi, turn ur bbrowser to hotspot browser or use any of the other browser that also work on wifi like opera or bolt. and log into ur email thru those browser. Yes u don't get push email aka bis. But this is on the safe side.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-10 07:05 PM
    I was just in Germany last week and I couldn't even connect to the free hotel wi-fi, when I tried it said "data services not available" however I didn't turn off the mobile network...maybe that might have made a difference. I do know this...if T-mobile is your carrier, when you are overseas and you get into wi-fi network you can make calls as long as you are using wi-fi and you won't be charge. I'm with cingular so this doesn't apply to me unfortunately.
    02-25-10 02:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD