Hey everyone, im starting to have 2nd thoughts about owning my 1st BB. Im gonna give my honest opinion about how i really feel w/ this phone. But before i start, let me give you all some background info. Before getting my first BB (9700) i had a Sidekick Slide for about 2 years (t-mobile 2yr contract). & i knew my upgrade was coming up, but even before i wanted to get rid of my Sk slide way back when just because it felt like this phone was made for "highschool kids" but dont get me wrong AIM on the sk was the s**t! haha. So anyways i thought its time to move on to a "grown man" phone or more sleek looking & also to try out what the hype is all about for BlackBerry so thats why i chose the 9700.

I bought the phone back in November 09' when it came out and i started to get used to the OS software etc... I liked the phone for awhile but i feel like im getting bored now. I mean didnt BB Appworld just come out? maybe thats why... not enought FREE apps? Ive been told that BB's are meant for business like work but i never saw it like that. I just thought that this phone would be like any other w/ lots of apps and cool features. Yet there are some cool things i like about this phone & a few things i dont like, ill mention them later.

So i dont know what to think or do for the meantime. Should i look into another phone? & no i dont want an iphone like everyone else in this world, i just think its overrated. Also because i dont like to text with touchscreen etc... Im actually looking for a phone with a touchsreen & qwerty keyboard on the front of phone. I hear RIM is going to come out with the BB Magnum but then again im not a fan of "surepress" touchscreen...

The only phone i can think of but is from another carrier is the Palm Pixi. I read some reviews & saw some videos and it looks like thats what i shoulda got in the first place. If any of you had or has the Pixi how was the phone overall? My second thought was I could sell my 9700 and maybe buy a Pixi but then id have to go through the hassle of unlocking it and what not. So what do yo guys suggest? Since im fairly new to the BB community should i just stick with my phone unitl something else comes out that i might like?

Any comments, postive/negative feedback, advice id appreciate it. Thanks
    02-11-10 04:49 PM
    If you're not happy with it or are questioning if you are happy after owning it for any amount of time, I'd say it's not for you and just move on. Others opinions don't really matter, so why ask? Obviously it's not what you want which equates to "not for you". I've never questioned if it was for me or not. Ever since I owned a BB, I have been happy about it and what it does. I'm not about free apps, or even apps in general. I like a good, solid, reliable phone. If I wanted games or tons of apps, I may feel differently about it, but it's never been about that for me. Don't get me wrong, I use apps, mostly paid, but they work awesome. I view them as a solid investment and it's proven time after time that I have made the right decision.
    02-11-10 05:01 PM
    Without any jugement

Maybe BB was not for you... But I'm pretty sure that you'll be back with Berrys someday, The AppWorld is not very old and the apps are not the cheapest, you're right!

Good luck!

(for your needs maybe the Moto Droid/Milestone could be nice: free apps, touch screen and slide keyboard )
    02-11-10 05:02 PM
    Well, from WAP, I can't tell whether you are male or female, but I'm gonna take a leap here, unless you have very small hands, you will find the Pixi brutal to type on. I thought the Pre's keyboard was small!

As for the rest, it's all a crapshoot. Palm devices aren't exactly known for their battery life, other than it being pretty short.

There are pluses and minuses to any mobile device. I've had the opportunity to handle a few of them, now, and still prefer my Curve, at least until the Tour2 drops.

I also depise touchscreen typing, but feel equally the same way towards side-sliders, I feel ya' there. I just can't solotype on a side-slider at all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-10 05:07 PM
    Its like I i want to agree with you guys and i dont. Its as if BB isnt made for me to my liking but it feels like i should give it more time & maybe ill grow into it more... But i do agree with it being a solid phone, no doubt. Or maybe im just the type of guy who gets bored w/ phones real fast... hmmm i dont know. If i were to get a qwerty/touchscreen phone i definitely dont want a "slider pull down keyboard" (yes i know, im picky. sorry) Whatever my choice is, i just dont want to settle for less. Ill keep your guys advice in mind though... well see what happens in the future haha
    02-11-10 05:15 PM
    Try it. You have 30 days to return it, but you'll know within a week or less if you like it or not.
    02-11-10 05:20 PM
    I actually think you are on to something. If you are the type to get bored quickly, then it probably isn't for you. I'm the type that once I get something working as I like it, I feel rewarded. There are some things I must admit I like to have change all the time or I get bored with them, but a phone/pda device isn't one of them. Some view a phone as something to keep them entertained and in that respect I don't think the BB is the best choice out there. I use mine heavily for work data and also financial uses, so I don't care for the bells and whistles some of the other devices possess.
    02-11-10 05:21 PM
    I love BB but if you're the type to get bored easily with your phone, it's not for you. Go with Android or iPhone.

02-11-10 05:26 PM
    Yeah, if it's entertainment you want, there are devices that do it better, as it goes, in the apps department.

For me, I use a lot of the messaging capability. I multitask and use many functions in rapid order. I've tailored my setup, added a theme that gives me a huge amount of flexibility. I can type on this Curve double my normal keyboarding speed

That being said, you'll know what best suits you. I'll leave that for others to chime in, but it's BlackBerry for now, for me.

02-11-10 05:41 PM
    Bergerking: Male, sorry forgot to mention that. So youve actually had or tried the pixi? i actually do have pretty big hands, but i dont mind the keyboard being small & the phone itself. I actually prefer it that way because it will fit better in m pocket & texting im ok with it too. The 9700 keyboard at first was like, "this feels kinda small" then again i got used to it. Well its good that we both agree that touchscreen typing & slideout keyboards isnt our thing...

lush242000: I cant exactly return it anymore, its been months haha. But i see what your trying to say. Thats why selling it or trading my phone is my 2nd choice if i decide not to keep it.

risingsun124: Yeah i agree with you on that one. "Some view a phone as something to keep them entertained." Maybe thats all i need or want in a phone? For the meantime ill hang out to it & well see what happens from there...
    02-11-10 05:43 PM
    Another issue if you get a Palm Pixi is that you will need to pay an ETF to T-Mobile. The Palm Pixi and Palm Pixi Plus are CDMA only, so you have to switch to Sprint or Verizon. You cannot use those devices on T-Mobile. Palm USA | Palm Pixi Phone | Features, Details Palm USA | Palm Pixi Plus Phone | Features, Details
    02-11-10 05:55 PM
    I don't know ultimately what will be right for you, since only you can decide that but I do know that with my first BlackBerry (a 8310) the learning curve on it was about 6 months, in other words I only felt truly comfortable with it after that amount of time. Then I went to an iPhone and then I came screaming back to Blackberries after only a short while.

You'll know soon enough, especially if you switch and then miss it!
    02-11-10 07:39 PM
    Hey everyone, im starting to have 2nd thoughts about owning my 1st BB. Im gonna give my honest opinion about how i really feel w/ this phone. But before i start, let me give you all some background info. Before getting my first BB (9700) i had a Sidekick Slide for about 2 years (t-mobile 2yr contract). & i knew my upgrade was coming up, but even before i wanted to get rid of my Sk slide way back when just because it felt like this phone was made for "highschool kids" but dont get me wrong AIM on the sk was the s**t! haha. So anyways i thought its time to move on to a "grown man" phone or more sleek looking & also to try out what the hype is all about for BlackBerry so thats why i chose the 9700.

I bought the phone back in November 09' when it came out and i started to get used to the OS software etc... I liked the phone for awhile but i feel like im getting bored now. I mean didnt BB Appworld just come out? maybe thats why... not enought FREE apps? Ive been told that BB's are meant for business like work but i never saw it like that. I just thought that this phone would be like any other w/ lots of apps and cool features. Yet there are some cool things i like about this phone & a few things i dont like, ill mention them later.

So i dont know what to think or do for the meantime. Should i look into another phone? & no i dont want an iphone like everyone else in this world, i just think its overrated. Also because i dont like to text with touchscreen etc... Im actually looking for a phone with a touchsreen & qwerty keyboard on the front of phone. I hear RIM is going to come out with the BB Magnum but then again im not a fan of "surepress" touchscreen...

The only phone i can think of but is from another carrier is the Palm Pixi. I read some reviews & saw some videos and it looks like thats what i shoulda got in the first place. If any of you had or has the Pixi how was the phone overall? My second thought was I could sell my 9700 and maybe buy a Pixi but then id have to go through the hassle of unlocking it and what not. So what do yo guys suggest? Since im fairly new to the BB community should i just stick with my phone unitl something else comes out that i might like?

Any comments, postive/negative feedback, advice id appreciate it. Thanks

If you want a touch screen and a keyboard you might want to check out the Motorola Milestone. A word of warning though, I played around with one at Telus the other day and I'm not sure if this phone was defective but the full qwerty keyboard sucked. It gave very little feedback when typing on it, you really have to push hard on the keys. Some keys didn't seem to move at all.
    The device did seem solid though, not sure what the battery life was like.
    02-11-10 08:00 PM
    I was in the same boat as the op. I got bored on my 9700 within a week too.

So to keep me busy, I learn all sort of hacks for the 9700. Now I can do all kinda of stuff w/o data plan.

02-11-10 08:30 PM
    Hello Moto... is suitable for you.
    02-12-10 02:59 AM
    If you want a physical keyboard then there are a few choices from Nokia, but in my opinion nothing is going to work as well as a BB if email is a primary use of your phone.

If you like app hopping and modding and always finding something new, keep your BB for business and look into a Nokia 97 or if you want to go touch, an X6 or even a 5800 like I have. They are very fun phones, but they're quirky as **** and not all that confidence inspiring. Tons of free apps available, and a lot of modding activity going on at the moment. Definitely good if you get bored, you won't with these.

There is no one do-everything phone, if there was, everybody would buy that and nobody would have any questions.
    02-12-10 07:22 AM
    I'm not sure why everybody hates typing on a touchscreen.. I've been doing it for over a year now and it's easier/faster than typing on a blackberry. For me, anyways.

02-12-10 07:34 AM
    I tried the android, touch screen typing, and even with the enhanced KBs I had all kinds of issues.... I am sure I could get used to it over time, but with a physical KB I can type by touch sometimes. You can't do that with a touch screen KB.

It really is a personal preference.

02-12-10 08:32 AM
    Thanks for all your advice guys. I decided that im going to keep my 9700 and give it a chance to learn more & grow within the BB community. I know this phone has alot to offer so for the meantime im doing alright with it. As for future phones im just going to wait it out unitl my carrier T-mobile comes out with a touchscreen/keyboard style phone (ie magnum or pixi) maybe look-a-like. I just dont want to go through the hassle of going to another carrier or getting a phone from another carrier to unlock it and all that stuff.
    02-12-10 10:55 AM
    Try an android phone, the new nexus one is pretty nice and u would be able to utilize 3g on tmo.

02-12-10 11:39 AM
    I'm coming from an iPhone 3G S and at first I was a little surprised with the overall feel of both my 9700 and BlackBerry OS but the more I use it the more I feel confident about how I love this phone. Not because of its features (they're pretty standard), but because everything it does it does well. Web surfing was a little funnier on the iPhone but typing text messages and e-mails has become a pleasure I never thought I could have on a mobile device since I got my first phone with a data plan (the 3G S that is). I now know that I can rely on my phone whenever I need to and a little detail, the faux-leather cover on the back allows me to have a firm grip on the phone unlike my iPhone which litterally slipped out of my hands.
    02-12-10 11:44 AM
    Hey i'm fairly new to the blackberry world as well, I am currently in business school and my life revolves around email and quick communication with friends, prof's and anyone else in my life. Furthermore I live close to the birthplace of blackberry (waterloo, ontario) so I was almost obligated to get one.

I feel like you almost got sucked into the hype of blackberry; don't get me wrong, I LOVE my 9700, but if you really want a phone more so for "entertainment" you might be better off moving on.

Try looking at one of the new motorola/htc phones, possibly an android device as it almost seems they target entertainment rather than business use.
    02-12-10 12:03 PM
    vin diesel: yes the nexus one is really nice & i like it, but once again im gonna need that physical keyboard to text etc...

trueleech: yes i like how the 9700 also feels in my hands, not too small or big & the faux-leather gives it that vip look haha

psychosys: i just learnd a fact today from you! so BB's birthplace is in Waterloo Ontario. I also like some HTC phones as well & i know T-mobile carries a few but still no physical keyboard on them...
    02-12-10 12:22 PM
    Ok so ive been doing some thinking & i appreciate your guys opinion on this. I think i am actually going to try and sell my 9700 and maybe get my first android phone the "Google Nexus One" Although it does not have a physical keyboard i am willing to give this touch-screen phone a try. Also i know for a fact that It may take awhile for me to get used to texting, etc like some of you had said. Ive been on the google direct website to check out the specs & what the phone has to offer, so hopefully this will be the phone for me for quite sometime... If any of you have or has had this phone let me know how is it overall? thanks.

Still not quite sure about how to do all the switching phone services & plans etc...
    So say i sell my phone & with that money i buy the GN1. Do i need to let T-mobile know that i have a new phone and for them to change my data plan? Hopefully it will still be the same amount that i pay every month, i believe its $35 but i doubt it.
    02-23-10 02:29 PM
    If it's entertainment value you are looking for, maybe supplement your life with a media tablet or something? like ipod touch or Archos 5 (with android?) It will give you a wide range of options, let you keep what you like about your Berry, and you wont have to give your firstborn to T-Mo for breaking contract. Either platform (iPod or Android) have a wide range of apps, features, etc on them, that way you dont rely as much on your phone for entertainment value.
    02-23-10 04:44 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD