I'm not sure if anyone else has had this happen but I keep having to add a contact twice when trying to start a new SMS thread. Here's what happens. Click Messages app>menu>compose SMS. I type the name of the person and click the center button. I have to hit the OK button twice for whatever reason to make it work. This results in me sending the same message twice. It's pretty annoying.
    02-11-10 02:10 PM
    I have the same issue. Don't know any solution or work around.
    03-03-10 08:42 AM
    Which OS do you two have?

Hmm just tried to recreate this and couldn't. This is not how I send SMS but wanted to see.
    I clicked on a date in Messages, selected Compose SMS. Typed portion of contact name, selected desired contact. Still had to click OK. Typed message, clicked trackpad. Selected Send and it sent. Confirmed sent only once.

A couple points:
    1. In OS 5.0 you do not need to click the trackpad to send SMS. You can click ENTER now with the new Threaded SMS style. If that doesn't work for you, go to SMS in the Options app and adjust that setting.

2. You can try how I send SMS. Download the free app Qsms available at berrycoder.com to start. Qsms allows you to start SMS 2 ways. The first is to click its icon. The 2nd way only works if you have Home Screen Dialing set to Off in the Phone Options. If so, Qsms creates a Q shortcut to launch a new SMS. If you had QuickLaunch, you could also set Qsms in there instead/also. After sending, the SMS will still be threaded with any previous SMS convo you had with that contact.

I hope that somehow helps!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-10 10:32 AM
    Thanks for the response elite1.

Honestly, I don't know why this double contact thing happens. But do note that it doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes, after composing an SMS, hitting "ok" or pressing "enter" after entering the contact's name only once works. Other times, I have to press "ok" or "enter" twice and then only does it allow me to compose the sms message.

It definitely is a bug. There are even times that when I send the SMS, I can't open the message again to read what I wrote until I get a reply.

There are so many issues with the new SMS format which clearly states RIM has its work cut out. I have T-Mobile BB 9700 with .330 OS. I also have the well known SMS issue of my contact's phone number showing instead of the name.

Let's hope T-Mo comes up with an OS update soon.

-Roosh
    03-03-10 11:05 AM
    I would upgrade the OS. Do some searching on here and check out the CrackBerry 101 Tutorials for a breakdown on how to do this.

You can install any OS for the same device onto yours regardless of the carrier. All carriers' OS's are official RIM releases. Each carrier decides if and when to issue releases. There are major improvements in later OS builds. Your version is the 2nd oldest one officially released. My carrier Telus released the 9700 with .344. I have now updated mine to the most recent release from any carriers, .442. I believe the SMS bug is gone in .442 but you'll have to check that thread to be 100% sure.

Always do a back-up first with Desktop Manager!

And start inputting your numbers in the 11-digit format! Can't hurt, and might be necessary if you use your phone in other areas.
    i.e. (604) 555-1212 becomes 16045551212
    03-03-10 02:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD