I contacted a company called technomindtech who has actually sent me a demo of a SIP VOIP Client for BB.

Could this be what we are all waiting for?
    02-09-10 08:01 PM
    First post - puts up a zip file... call me suspicious.
    02-09-10 09:17 PM
    What company is this? I have done a lot of research and I haven't found any SIP clients for my platforms (Symbian and BlackBerry) except Octro beta for Symbian.
    02-10-10 08:01 AM
    This is exactly the email I got from the company. I did a search on this forum, got the name of the company and contacted them.

I registered just to post the file they sent me:

> Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 14:52:16 -0500
    > From: info|technomindtech|com
    > To: xxxx....hotmail|com
    > Subject: Re: Sip Dialler
    >
    > hai,
    >
    > for unlimited licensing we charge you 6k usd,attached is the
    > blackberry dialer demo.it supports G729A codec.
    >
    > Rajesh
    > >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Can you give me some details on your SIP Client for Blackberry?
    > >
    > > What is the license price? What codec is supported?
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Thanks
    02-10-10 07:01 PM

That's what I have to say about this
    02-10-10 07:05 PM
    Looks like they're trying to OEM somebody else's product. $6,000 is for the platform license. I don't think they're looking for retail customers. Also their web page is broken, the screenshot links don't work. Not very encouraging.
    02-11-10 05:53 AM
    Soooo....sroghen you have had it for 8 days... got it working yet?

I work for a SIP provider and want this bad, but not that bad....

-A
    02-17-10 07:53 AM
    Just wait for Skype, it should be out in a month or so. Next best thing to having a true SIP client...
    02-17-10 09:30 AM
    Guys there is no SIP VOIP CLIENT for BB. I know one company that offers free international and long distance calls currently developing SIP CLIENT for Blackberry. Take a look - callarc.com
    03-19-10 07:13 PM
    There's no info there.
    03-20-10 03:18 PM
    I had some questions regarding a SIP dialer, first, if any of you guys can answer. I also have searched most of the threads on sip dialers for BB and have made a compilation of what I thought are the main things on those threads.

1. Are the SIP clients embedded in the phone or you can still download it later in your phone?

2. Do SIP clients work over wifi or/and GSM data networks?

3. If the phone does UMA calling, and BB does, does it mean it can do also do SIP calling or it is somhow more advantageous to do SIP calling on a UMA phone?

4. Does the SIP dialer mean you have to call a local DID number first to connect and hence using carrier�s minutes or the SIP dialer simply allows you to connect via GSM data network or wifi to a SIP provider, like you are connecting to a website via http protocol, a sip provider where you need to have an account with first like fring or freecall, etc and then, once connected to the sip server, you use the sip dialer you already have installed in your phone to dial from the sip sever account you have logged in?

5. Is the SIP dialer intrinsically connected to a phone number, meaning are you assigned a phone number to a sip provider account, of the area code of your choice depending on where you're located, from the sip provider to make the phone calls or there is no need to as you can just make calls like you do from a softphone like skype or yahoo messenger without the need of being assigned a number, as long as you have money in the account of that sip provider?

6. Do you need to download in your phone the software of the particular sip provider, say the softphone interface of freecall.com, or the sip dialer you already have takes care of it and, as long as you�re connected to the SIP provider, you can just call using freecall.com like you�re calling it from your computer software but now using your phone sip dialer instead?

Finally, here is an overview of some of the latest I found from different posts on a SIP Dialer for BB

a. There is a Vippie for Blackberry video on you tube that shows the existence of a SIP dialer but they offer it for 3-6,000$

b. technomindtech.com in India claims to have generic SIP dialer for iphone, BB, etc. but they still don';t respond to email or offer a demo an $6000 price for it!!!

c. xeeta.com claims they have a SIP dialer for blackberry but I never got a response from them. Their website is still in waiting to show more than the first page.

d. Nortel used to have a SIP dialer for an old model BB

e. There is Fring and Siphon SIP dialer for Iphone

f. For those that use magicjack, it is a SIP adapter itself, you magic jack dialer is your sip dialer. Question though is can you sync magicjack into your BB if there was a sip dialer for BB, can you turn the BB to a phone that has the number assigned to your magicjack?

g. callarc.com claims to offer free international calls via an sms but it hasn't been ready yet.

Please post here the latest on the SIP Dialer or any true VoIP for BB. Is skype offering anything?
    03-21-10 11:56 AM
    So far, there doesn't seem to be a real SIP client for BlackBerry. At least in a 3rd-party sense. I'm not sure how UMA works, but it does seem to be somewhat like a SIP client, but using the carrier's network (via wifi/internet).

IM+ has a Skype version that does wifi calling. I don't know if you could really call it a SIP client, since it does everything half-duplex (push side button to talk, release to listen). It seems like an interesting workaround. It can also use a local call for connecting to Skype (full duplex), but that can use minutes.

Verizon has teamed up with Skype and is supposed to be bringing out their app soon. It will be interesting to see if this app is a real SIP client, or if it just doesn't use minutes when placing a call into Skype's network. Who knows. This may be Verizon's version of UMA (while offloading their own network).

If there was a real SIP/VOIP client for making real calls over wifi, it would have been posted all over the forum by now.
    03-22-10 07:33 AM
    Vippie SIP Dialer for BB will be ready in 3 weeks, I have been told via email by the company that produces it. Let's hope it will be so and it will be a good one. Prices for similar dialer for other phones are at $15 so not bad.
    03-22-10 12:24 PM
    I looked into Vippie and it's a fail as far as I am concerned. The people are very confused at the company, I heard different answers from 3 or 4 people on the same topic. Also they will lock you to their server. I don't see any advantage over more established clients like TruPhone unless their wifi really works. I don't imagine Vippie will be in business very long unless they really clean up their act.
    03-24-10 04:06 AM
    So far, there doesn't seem to be a real SIP client for BlackBerry. At least in a 3rd-party sense. I'm not sure how UMA works, but it does seem to be somewhat like a SIP client, but using the carrier's network (via wifi/internet).
    UMA is not SIP, it's just how they switch the call.

IM+ has a Skype version that does wifi calling. I don't know if you could really call it a SIP client, since it does everything half-duplex (push side button to talk, release to listen). It seems like an interesting workaround. It can also use a local call for connecting to Skype (full duplex), but that can use minutes.
    I didn't try it but the half-duplex mode is probably just file transfer and has nothing to do with SIP. Not sure about the full duplex version you mentioned, but it is probably just a gateway to skype like other services such as Nimbuzz and Fring already offer on other platforms...not sure why they don't offer it on BB or why IM+ for Skype doesn't just offer a normal interface that works over Wifi...it suggests there is something about BB that makes it hard to do.

Skype uses its own protocol, which is not SIP. Skype is a very interesting implementation of P2P any other technologies, it's pretty ingenious.

Verizon has teamed up with Skype and is supposed to be bringing out their app soon. It will be interesting to see if this app is a real SIP client, or if it just doesn't use minutes when placing a call into Skype's network. Who knows. This may be Verizon's version of UMA (while offloading their own network).
    I have Skype on several Nokias and it's a native Skype client that works over wifi and 3G. Remember, SIP is not about whether it uses wifi or cellular or data, it's the protocol that is used, the transport is a separate issue. You can run SIP over wifi, 3G, etc. A true SIP client would allow you to pick any SIP provider so you can get the best rates. Skype works great but it's expensive for calling real phones, locked to its own network, etc. so it would be great if we had a true SIP client that allowed us to choose the provider. There are many companies with great long distance rates, you can use them from your PC, but so far nothing for BB.
    Last edited by F0nage; 03-24-10 at 04:26 AM.
    03-24-10 04:16 AM
    I too have recieved email confirmation from the folks who created Vippie. I was also told approx 3 weeks as well. If it's only $15 like the other clients I will buy it and try it on 3 different SIP PBX systems in house here. I seriously want this to work as I have been searching at least once a month for over a year now for a client that will work on your own pbx via edge/3g/wifi. This "seems" to be it.
    We'll see, and I can hardly wait!
    03-24-10 01:30 PM
    Is it totally impossible for an app to be written, that "fools" the UMA codec (of a BB that supports UMA) to route through 3g, rather than WiFi?
    03-24-10 10:57 PM
    i installed nimbuzz but not sip option any idea how to find sip option in nimbuzz plzzzzz reply me.
    04-14-10 03:34 AM
    Nimbuzz doesn't include a SIP client in the BlackBerry version.
    04-14-10 06:49 AM
    This seems to be the best thread to post on in regards to a SIP client and Vippie (VoipSwitch's) one in particluar ?.

The business I work for spends a substantial sum of money on calls whilst our sales staff roam around the globe. Even at $3,500 for unlimited licenses Vippie could be a very good deal for us, however, their website implies that the software is for ITSP's only ?.

Hopefully they'll reply to the contact form I filled in with some further info, and if they don't I'm going to keep on top of them until they do.

I suppose to the various providers a good BlackBerry SIP client would be the devil's spawn, hitting their income, so I just get the feeling that there's a catch somewhere with this software ?.
    04-15-10 08:42 AM
    I've had a reply, unfortunately stating that the only licensing option available is the $3,500 unlimited license.

I've asked further questions such as can a private business that is not an ITSP purchase it, are you required to take out any software maintenance, is there a time limited trial version ?.

The last point must be crucial, as who would pay out $3,500 without having first tested the Vippie SIP client to ensure that it actual does what they state ?.
    04-16-10 04:14 AM
    05-25-10 09:40 PM
    05-25-10 09:41 PM
    I have another solution for you! - MyKryptofon

www(dot)myKryptofon(dot)com has a full (not demo/beta) version of the app for free for a 14 day trial.

This app is more than just a full blown Voip/SIP app - It is a voice, chat, and file transfer app ALL with full 256bit encryption!

This program is NOT in a demo/beta state. It is in production mode and available for a free 14 day trial. After the 14 days, the encryption app is available for less than $1 per day with a month to month agreement. Unlike other encrypted apps out there, this one does not require long contracts or massive amounts of $$$.

Of course, to use the all the encrypted feature, both parties are have to have the app.

Blackberry does a good job of encrypting your data, but not your voice!

Here are some hard product specs...

Compatible on any global GSM carrier
    Cellular GSM or WiFi capable
    AES 256 bit encryption
    NSA Suite ‘B’ compatible authentication
    Malware protection from rogue capture of the microphone
    Encryption key rotation technology
    Time activated encryption keys
    Voice, chat and file transfer
    Interoperability with our Windows Mobile and Windows product on GSM, CDMA, WiFi, Satellite BGAN, and Ethernet networks.

thanks

Brian
    06-24-10 10:41 PM
    Just download BlackVoib for free and use it until Sept 15. BlackVoib is a BlackBerry SIP client not tied to any service and runs at least on 4 BlackBerry models.

Just follow the link
    BlackVoib is a SIP client for BlackBerries
    06-26-10 10:37 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD