I love my Blackberry and I use it for everything. I don't even have home phone service because my blackberry is all I need.... I've been looking at Google Voice and it looks very interesting and I would love to try it BUT I'm in Canada.

Does anyone have any idea if Google Voice will be available in Canada and has anyone had a chance to use it? Likes/ Dislikes? Any info would be appreciated.
    02-09-10 08:50 AM
    I use it for a second business line. Its very basic, and doesn't offer anything special. I would say more so than not I do not need it, and I use about 8 or 900 minutes a week.
    02-09-10 09:08 AM
    The BING app pretty much does the same thing doesn't it?
    02-09-10 09:12 AM
    The BING app pretty much does the same thing doesn't it?
    not sure, ill have to try it and find out. Google voice is kind of a waste. I would rather pay a few bucks and have some options.
    02-09-10 09:20 AM
    I disagree. I GV from my 9700 and from my laptop. Whenever and wherever I travel, folks can reach me (if I let them) without having to call long distance. I can also call back to the U.S. cheaply. Good app -- especially since it is free.
    02-09-10 09:34 AM
    I love Google Voice for the free voice to text transcription of voice messages. Very handy when I'm in an extended meeting and can't check vm or return calls. I can see what they wanted and reply via text or email much quicker.

Not sure about Canada. Sorry.
    02-09-10 09:55 AM
    Yeah I love google voice, it's basically another number associated with my phone. I use it for bills, work contacts, and for people I just don't want knowing my primary number. All for free you can't beat that
    02-09-10 12:08 PM
    Google Voice is awesome... i use it instead of the VVM... in fact, i deleted the VVM off my phone entirely... didn't work well (time stamp all out of whack)...

plus, LD to Canada is free

cheers
    02-09-10 12:20 PM
    Sorry, I confused Google Voice with Google Voice Search.
    02-09-10 12:25 PM
    Don't forget free texting using your GV#.

I don't have a landline, only 1 phone - my BB. If I ever need to make a call without using my BB (phone died, calling Sprint tech support, BB hit by a meteor, etc) I can use sipgate and GV to make free calls from my ipod touch anywhere there is wifi. Pretty handy.
    02-09-10 12:26 PM
    I use GV for VVM / voice to text transcription of messages, and I've used it to call internationally. It certainly makes for cheap casual calling without having to keep up with a calling card, and it is VERY easy to use.

It may not be totally feature rich, but it is still technically in beta - Google has already enhanced it greatly since I signed up nearly 2 years ago. Back then it was extremely bare bones.
    02-09-10 12:28 PM
    does anyone have an extra invite that they can send to me? I've been waiting to use the service for several months, but google has yet to invite me
    02-10-10 03:24 PM
    Someone gave me an invite yesterday and I love this thing
    02-10-10 03:32 PM
    If anyone in Canada is using Google voice and it seems to be working fine... Please send me an invite, I would love to try it.
    02-10-10 06:30 PM
    Someone gave me an invite yesterday and I love this thing
    you're welcome
    02-10-10 10:17 PM
    I love Google Voice(been using since the GrandCentral Days), but I do not use the app. I use it mainly for my Cell Voicemail. I just read the transcribed email and click play if I need to which is rare.

I hand out my GV number for everything other than personal contacts, this way I can mark callers as spam. Anytime I get a strange number on my phone, first thing I do is check google voice to see if it was forwarded from there. I'll check the number online and if it is fishy, it gets spammed. No more calls from them.

Before it was Google Voice and was still GrandCentral, We used it as our home number. We had it forward to both mine and my wife's cell phones. Now we each have our own GV number. We still use mine as our "home" line.
    02-10-10 10:53 PM
    I think your prayers were answered in September...

BGR Breaks it Down: How to use Google Voice in Canada � Boy Genius Report

I'm a big fan of Google Voice.... free transcription, sms, etc... VERY cheap international calling... free calls to Canada...

I'm with VZW.. just today I upgraded my family plan from 700 mins to 1,400 mins and I get 10 non-VZW numbers free... I added my local GV outdial number.. now, using the Google Voice app, I can easily dial anyone I want in US and Canada for free. This isn't exactly ingenious.. a number of people have figured this out.. but it's pretty stinkin cool, nonetheless.
    02-10-10 11:09 PM
    Now I desperately want Google Voice but need an invite. Any help out there?
    Newwood
    02-11-10 04:18 PM
    I just got google voice, due to the kindness of people here. How do I get invites to pass out to other?
    02-12-10 11:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD