I have a Blackberry Tour 9630 and I set my ringtone to a custom ringtone that I downloaded[It's an mp3 file]. But whenever someone calls me it's just a classic ringer.

So I set my ringtone on preloaded ringtone, saved it and went back and changed it to my custom one and saved it. I called myself and it worked.

But then when someone else called, it was the classic ringer. Can anyone help me?
    02-08-10 06:31 PM
    What OS version are you on?
    02-08-10 06:47 PM
    I'm on OS 4.7.
    Last edited by heyesther; 02-08-10 at 09:22 PM.
    02-08-10 06:51 PM
    make sure you have the ringer set on the profile you are using
    02-08-10 06:53 PM
    I have the same problem. How do you check what OS you have?
    02-08-10 07:53 PM
    make sure you have the ringer set on the profile you are using
    It is, but it still does that.
    Last edited by heyesther; 02-08-10 at 09:22 PM.
    02-08-10 09:19 PM
    I have the same problem. How do you check what OS you have?
    You go to Options >> About and its the third line.

Mine is : v4.7.1.61
    02-08-10 09:20 PM
    I have the same problem ... the issue is that when I edit a contact from the Blackberry, it sets a custom ringtone (which happens to be the Classic Phone ringer) for that contact by itself..... it has been doing this for me since the day I got the blackberry. I assume it is just a glitch and now whenever I edit a contact I go to "Set Contact Alerts" and delete the new entry it just made.

So .... this may be the same issue you are having ... check your Contact Alerts and delete the entries for contacts that you don't want to have special ringtones and alerts.
    02-09-10 08:24 AM
    I have the same problem ... the issue is that when I edit a contact from the Blackberry, it sets a custom ringtone (which happens to be the Classic Phone ringer) for that contact by itself..... it has been doing this for me since the day I got the blackberry. I assume it is just a glitch and now whenever I edit a contact I go to "Set Contact Alerts" and delete the new entry it just made.

So .... this may be the same issue you are having ... check your Contact Alerts and delete the entries for contacts that you don't want to have special ringtones and alerts.
    i have the same problem and try this. but what happen is when someone called me it works normal as i want but after i hang up, the contact will automatically set to "set contact alerts" so it's a bit pain when you need to always check it and delete it from that setting. anyone have any idea why is this happen?and how to solve it?
    02-09-10 09:17 AM
    no clue either, my thing is the same but on another level, its automatically set my contacts (certain ones i assume, i'm not looking through all of the contacts, lol) to the classic ringtone. I already deleted the custom contact alerts but they still are set as the classic ringtone and txt alert. :\
    02-16-10 10:17 AM
    This has been happening to me too. I have no idea why, but all of my contacts have been changed to classic ring tone even though my active profile has a ring tone set as "Ringer_BBPro_1".
    It's reallly annoying.
    02-16-10 10:46 AM
    This happens to me, too!! Thank G*d for this forum, I thought I was officially losing it. So annoying - can't figure out why it exactly happens. But once a week or so I go under "Set Contact Alerts", there's no-doubt a few of my Contacts magically there, and I just delete them.

Very very weird.
    02-27-10 12:26 PM
    this is somewhat happening to me too!!! my ringtone is working, but my alerts that i have for ex. email, level 1, & facebook (i have had set on silent so my phone isnt going off every 2.5 seconds sometimes) & the ringtones are actually going off!!! ITS SOO ANNOYINGG!! ive gone through the dang phone & made sure it still says silent i cant tell you how many times & it's still doing it! the only time it doesnt come through is whenever the phone is in phonecall only mode or silent mode obviously... whyy is this happening!!!

(im on the offical 4.7 version as well -- w/ verizon)
    02-27-10 02:36 PM
    The Profiles do not work right on the Tour in OS 4.7. If you can't get Custom Ring tones to be a work around, which sometimes works for unclear reasons, you will be the like rest of us waiting for our carrier to release OS 5.0.
    02-27-10 04:01 PM
    Mine does this as well. My carrier (USCC) hasn't released the 5.0 OS yet. Until then my phone is set to vibrate all the time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-10 06:03 PM
    You might be able to make One custom profile for vibrating (mine vibrates phone, SMS, PIN, but not Email) and then make the regular Silent profile as truly Silent. That has worked for me, but I can't get another to have a ring tone for the phone, or any other options. But at least until OS 5, I have a Silent option, and then vibrate when I want notifications.
    02-28-10 06:17 PM
    What happens is that you need to check your custom alerts. When my bf mike calls me ( because we talk a lot over phone) it automatically sets up a custom ring tone. Don't know how to fix it but in there you can change the ring tone to whatever you have for your default. Only way I know around it for now.
    03-01-10 02:07 PM
    Ive had it happen but its because I accidentally set some contacts to have custom profiles in the sounds and it defaults to that ringer.
    03-01-10 02:57 PM
    To those of you who are thinking that the 5.0 OS will solve this problem... I hate to tell you, but I'm running the latest leaked version 5.0.0.530 and continue to have the problem.

About 1/4 of my contacts have "Classic Ringer" as their assigned ringtone, even though they DON'T show up in contact alerts and I never had that as my ringtone. I'm using an MP3 as my ringtone, but the problem did not go away even when I selected a stock ringtone. I've even had the ringtone change from my chosen ringtone to "classic ringer" in the middle of it ringing. I hit a key to silence the ring for a sec, then when it started again, it had changed to classic ringer (same call)! When I try to change a contact from classic ringer to the ringtone I've selected, THEN they get put in contact alerts & if I delete them, they revert back to classic ringer.

I also have the problem with texts & emails. I have a contact that has a special sound for their "messages" as well as their phone calls. The correct tone sounds when they send me an email or when they call (& they are appropriately in my contact alert list), but when they send me a text, it's either silent or I get my normal text sound, not the one I've selected for them.

Very frustrating & totally f'ed up, but I like the rest of the phone enough to deal with it. I'm just hoping it gets fixed in SOME future OS update (assuming of course, that we Tours continue to get updates...).
    03-01-10 03:06 PM
    It's odd how this issue appears so variable. Most posts about 5.0 say it is corrected. It may be your leaked version. I sure hope by the time USCC releases, it will be fixed. If not, before warranty is up, it may make me want to ask for a Curve 2 instead unless Bold is released by then. There is no excuse for this basic BB function to be so impaired on a phone for so long.
    03-02-10 01:13 PM
    how do u create a new profile?
    03-02-10 01:18 PM
    You must go into the OPTIONS, then ADVANCED OPTIONS, then APPLICATIONS, and left click on EACH applications and click on edit default permissions, and set each one to ALLOW, and this will fix the default ringtones. If this does not fix your problem, then make sure that each person has not made it into SET CONTACT ALERTS section under the volume - you must delete each one from this section. This worked or me.
    03-02-10 02:50 PM
    This question comes up so often that I should keep this info on file to just "cut and paste" into a forum on sound settings ...

The Tour, for some reason, doesn't consistently retain sound settings made via Options>ringtones/alerts. To overcome this, click on the sound icon on the home screen, scroll down to the Custom Profiles>Add Custom Profile. Make your selections and be sure to click "Save" for each category AND AGAIN SAVE on the screen where you name the profile.

Then, just click the profile in the list (using the home screen sound icon) if the sounds get changed somewhere along the way. Generally, the sound profile you set and select this way will stay in place.

Every once in a while, I will get a call from outside the area (and a different carrier) that will have a ring all its own. I think it's just the way things are. Doesn't affect my profile.
    03-02-10 02:50 PM
    USCC has Blackberrys? *snerk*

Thanks Atira.
    03-02-10 03:33 PM
    What about those of us that don't want a custom profile, but simply a custom ringer for a certain contact?

For example.

I have an alert for my txts. For my wife however, I want her to have her own different alert. I set it to that. It works fine when it is out of the holster and she sends me a txt. But if it is in the holster, it vibrates, but will not make the audible alert. However if anyone else sends me a txt, the regular alert comes through just fine.

I've searched but to no avail. This thread is the closest to an answer I've found.
    03-03-10 10:51 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD