I have been back with Verizon now almost 30 days now(Feb 8th will be thirty 30 days) and with my window closing a new toy has caught my eye. My boy came over the day with his Droid and let me see it and I must say I was more than impressed. He toyed with my Storm2 and upon giving it back he hit with the "ehhh its not as bad as I thought" but his Droid was awesome. Having had and played with the G1 and MyTouch3g with T-mobile I was not a huge fan of the whole Android OS. I asked him what he liked about the phone and he rambled off a list of reasons. Some of which was there was always something to do with the phone. He, just like me, pretty much needs his email but said he didn't mind sacrificing it for the benefit of having something to do with his phone. The web was noticeable fast like everyone says and the market was packed with "fun apps" even though I wont use half of them. I know why I like my blackberry and its because of the email and blackberry messenger but honestly I can't see anything else keeping me with blackberry. Am I making a mistake wanting to switch to this device? Have any of you considered it?
    02-06-10 11:50 AM
    I considered it when it first came out and I was still with big red then, I played with it a little but i still liked my storm2 better maybe because I was used to it ? I'm not really sure, but now since I've left big red, I don't think the droid is a bad device, I was seriously sick of bat pulls even with my storm2, IMHO RIM needs to get on the ball here and introduce a new OS or they are going to start losing faithfuls.

and I was one, I went from a 1st Gen iPhone > 8130 > 8330 > 9530 > 9550 > iPhone 3GS

and I keep hearing great things about the Droid, but it all comes down to what suits you the best...
    02-06-10 11:59 AM
    Needs come first. When I had my treo, I found it can do so much as a pda and organizer. Plus, since it was on windows mobile, the capability was there. But, as my needs changed, I felt the treo wasn't for me anymore. I got tired of crappy battery life - something that should come first anyways; not getting my emails timely without draining the battery crazily, I went to the 8330. Since I got tired of a small screen, the castrated nature of the 8330, and missed having touch, I thought about going to the storm 1 or 2 for a long time. The curve 2 really caught my eye, but realized it was nothing more than added memory and an os upgrade. The tour 2, I couldn't wait on.

But, now as my needs are starting to change again, I'm thinking of going to the iPhone when it becomes more available to other carriers (or rumor says) with greater app availability, since I'm becoming more of an app hound. But, I see more apps are getting available on the blackberry, so I'll wait and see. I do like the storm 2 in that i haven't really had to do many battery pulls, if any and does what I need.
    02-06-10 12:15 PM
    No one can tell you what device will suit you best. That's a decision for you to make. Every phone has strengths and weaknesses. Just pick the one that YOU will be happy with. Don't pick one because of peer pressure.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-10 12:22 PM
    well said!
    02-06-10 12:26 PM
    Keep your storm. You could switch, but once 5.1 is out you'll probably wish you hadn't.

02-06-10 01:29 PM
    I couldn't stand the keyboard on the Droid and typing on the screen was even worse.
    02-06-10 01:35 PM
    You can't decided based on posting a thread like this here. There is no consistency with responses. Both are great phones and both have their fans and their detractors. Read legit reviews carefully, decide which device has the most important features for you and then make your decision. Personally, I looked long and hard at the Droid but in the end, was not convinced and decided to go from my S1 to the S2. I don't regret my decision.
    02-06-10 01:38 PM
    You can't decided based on posting a thread like this here. There is no consistency with responses. Both are great phones and both have their fans and their detractors. Read legit reviews carefully, decide which device has the most important features for you and then make your decision. Personally, I looked long and hard at the Droid but in the end, was not convinced and decided to go from my S1 to the S2. I don't regret my decision.
    That's the right answer, but if they really cared that much, they would probably read real reviews and not just post here for random people to give THEIR own opinions So I just play along haha.

02-06-10 01:41 PM
    I love my Storm 2. The Droid looks like an brick to me. Thats why I dont care much for it.
    02-06-10 01:54 PM
    I try just about every new smartphone that vzw releases. Just so you realize, there is no perfect phone! You have to pick the best one based on your personal needs and wants. I always end up back with the Storm.
    02-06-10 02:20 PM
    Didn't like the droid at all looks and feel. HAPPY storm 2 owner. Can't wait for 5.1
    02-06-10 02:33 PM
    Didn't like the droid at all looks and feel. HAPPY storm 2 owner. Can't wait for 5.1
    5.1? Is there any news about this?
    02-06-10 02:42 PM
    Its all over the place. Just google it

02-06-10 02:44 PM
    I am finding the Storm 2 to be better for social networking for myself. BBM is better than it ever has been. I have some high profile friends on it. Facebook app on the storm is also much better than the Android facebook app. I have facebook messages show up in my combined message folder. Googletalk works great on the storm, surprisingly as does yahoo, aim, and windows instant. I use BBM and facebook the most. I have a consultant I do work with use googletalk to communicate. So that has worked well for me too. All in all, I am pleased with the Storm 2 over the Droid for my use. I use enterprise, hotmail, as well as google. They are all working very well for me. I find that I could respond for work issues while I am getting a hair cut, all with one hand, thanks to a great suretype in portrait mode.

I will admit, my second favorite thing is the internet. Opera Mini 5 gives me instant access to everything I need. I can't say I have any real complaints, unless I compare it to Apple's safari. But I can open pages just as fast and just as easy (thanks to speed dial). I also believe Mini works better than Opera Mobile did on my old Touch Pro. So I shouldn't complain. But the Droid and Eris does give you a better experience.

I no longer have lagging from app memory, nor do I believe I will have it. My OS is stable and solid. So now all we can do is look forward. I see opportunity for a stronger browser, hopefully webkit. For me thats all I need. Luckily, the word is that 5.1 will have that new webkit browser, as well as the possibility of widgets to be enabled. There is a long list of new items slated for 5.1. Its exciting to think it may be out in the spring.

Android users are going through the same thing. All I hear is how users want their Samsung to upgrade to 1.6 or 2.0, or 2.1. Same goes for the Droid hoping to go to 2.1. There is always a new OS update you will long for to enhance and fix minor bugs. BB is not alone in this. When android users all get 2.1, they will dance for a few weeks, until they start asking for 2.2. We will get 5.1 soon enough to give us what we have asked for. But I will bet we will be clamouring for the next thing we don't have. Its just nature.

My point is that I would be silly to jump off of the Storm 22 just because Motorolla Droid and HTC Droid Eris have webkit browsers. Storm 2 will have the browser we have wanted soon enough and then some. I have not missed a beat with my Storm 2. I use it with great confidence. I will have you know that I did decide to pay $10 for TeleNav, but feel that it makes my phone that much more importan to me. I could have had Google Navigation for free. But without demoing it, I can't say if it would have been more useful than telenav for me.
    02-06-10 03:57 PM
    No one can tell you what device will suit you best. That's a decision for you to make. Every phone has strengths and weaknesses. Just pick the one that YOU will be happy with. Don't pick one because of peer pressure.

100% agree with this post I have looked at the Droid and S2 before using my upgrade in Oct 08. Finally in Nov and doing so research on CB about both devices, I decided to go with the S2. I don't regret my decission but when my upgrade comes avail again in Sept, I may be looking away from blackberry and more towards android, or iPhone if Verizon has that by then.

Its all in what YOU need out of your device, not what someone else will say "oh yea this phone is great....." and so on.

02-06-10 04:29 PM
    I can only find reference to BBM 5.1 - is that what we are talking about? I'm one of the few BB users that doesn't use BBM at all - it's not even installed on my handset.
    02-06-10 05:07 PM
    im sure the droid is a good device, i just couldnt get over the uglyness of it..now when the nexus one comes i would consider that.
    02-06-10 07:22 PM
    Luv my S2. I would not switch to any phone on ATT. Never had their wireless service, but back when they were my long distance carrier they did me wrong, wrong, wrong. Won't f with them based on simple GP. I might look at the iPhone if VZW ever gets it. But if that battery is anything like my iPod touch, **** to the naw. For now I am really super satisfied with my S2. Just like everybody else has said, you have to do you.
    02-06-10 07:41 PM
    That's the right answer, but if they really cared that much, they would probably read real reviews and not just post here for random people to give THEIR own opinions So I just play along haha.

trust and believe I searched on phonescoop and howardforums as well as several android forums...

but after making another trip into my local crowded Verizon store I toyed with the Droid again and decided to stick with Storm2...thanks for all your input and feedback
    02-06-10 08:17 PM
    Just be careful of the initial fascination of how different and new another platform or phone can me. Spend some serious time with it if possible doing the things you do everyday on your phone. I have been burnt more than once jumping on new rather than using a phone for a time period until real conditions.
    02-06-10 08:53 PM
    trust and believe I searched on phonescoop and howardforums as well as several android forums...

but after making another trip into my local crowded Verizon store I toyed with the Droid again and decided to stick with Storm2...thanks for all your input and feedback
    That's awesome! I believe you have made the correct decision

02-06-10 09:02 PM
    buddy of mine left the S1 for the droid. we did an internet speed test and they were evenly matched...
    and the S2 is just more finished looking IMO
    02-07-10 03:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD