Ok, I have an odd problem... When I have my Storm in a case, any case... Hard, soft, leather, silicone, plastic, Blackberry brand, non-Blackberry brand... The screen won't click. At all. It won't scroll, it won't select, it does nothing.

Initially we thought it was the cases I tried were on the edge of the screen, that wasn't it. Then we thought the screen protector paired with a case was the problem, but when we took the screen protector off it still didn't work. When I tested it again with a hard shell and put only the front part of the shell (the part with the opening for the screen), the screen still worked and worked perfectly. However, when we put only the back of the shell on, the part that covers the battery, the screen was disabled. So whatever the problem is, it is coming from the back of the phone, not the screen itself.

Every Verizon rep I speak to is at a loss. The Blackberry troubleshooter thinks I'm insane and has "never heard of the problem" though I'm able to reproduce the problem in person every single time.

Any thoughts? I swear, I'm not making this up. I'm not a crazy person. I've had my BBS since launch so it's not like I don't know how to use it. LoL
    02-05-10 04:46 AM
    Have you done the business card trick behind the battery or tweaked the screws for the screen?

If so undo what you did.
    If not you need to tweak the screws only instead of making them tighter maker them loser.
    I had the same problem with a case I bought I had a piece of card board behind the battery to make it click better, removed it and it worked with the case.
    The case was putting enough pressure on the back of the device it caused the button under the screen to push too far forward and locked it up.
    02-05-10 06:06 AM
    I had the same problem with the car mount I bought on Ebay. I'm not sure if it's the same issue, but with mine the mount was squeezing the sides of my Storm, which made the sides "grab on to" the screen, locking it in place.

As far as yours being so sensitive to pressure, assuming your screen is being "squeezed" lke mine, I'm not really sure. Is it possible that there is a crack/weakness in the side/trim that causes it to press against the screen with very little pressure?
    02-05-10 06:25 AM
    This is the reason I do not use cases. I have problems clicking the screen while its in the case. I find the phone much more enjoyable to use naked. Just gotta be careful until 3/2010 so I can get a new one!
    02-05-10 11:36 AM
    Same here. My 9530 with the card behind the battery has a very good hard click but if put in a plastic case there is no click whatsoever. I like the crisp click so no case (except leather oem) is how I carry mine.
    02-05-10 12:52 PM
    My understanding of the storm is that the touch screen requires that there is another point of contact between your hand and the phone besides just the screen. This is to complete the electrical circuit that the phone uses to detect your touch.

Normally the Blackberry brand silicone skins work fine, but I have heard of problems with other cases. My suggestion would be that if the BB brand ones don't work you should take your phone back for warranty service. (hopefully you're still under warranty).

If the screen is detecting where you are touching, but then won't click, then it is do with the adjustment of the tension screws under the battery. You can use the business card trick mentioned above, or again, warranty service.
    02-05-10 03:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD