but I think I am done with Blackberry. I currently have the 1st gen storm and am mainly sick of battery / memory issues and lack of customization and a horrible web browsing experience.

That said, I need help picking my next phone!

I am still considering the Storm 9550, but I recently saw videos of the Nexus One AND hear its coming to Verizon this spring. With the 2.1 OS out for it and multi-touch etc. it looks very tempting and insanely fast! Really, the speed of the Nexus One web browser BLEW me away.. and from what I've heard the email is great, which was my one reason for using BB so long. Plus, all the open programs and stuff.. seems hard to beat.

So, to those of you who own BBs and have tried Android, what do you think? Should I get the Nexus One? Storm2? Is there a better phone coming in the next few months?
    02-04-10 10:21 PM
    If you don't like the Storm, why are you considering the Storm 2?

If you don't want to wait, get the Droid now. You can get the 2.1 goodies on the Droid now without even rooting it.

If you root your Droid, you can overclock it and will run FAST. No need to wait for the Nexus to come to Verizon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-10 11:06 PM
    my moto droid blows the nexus away!
    02-04-10 11:10 PM
    If you root your Droid, you can overclock it and will run FAST. No need to wait for the Nexus to come to Verizon.
    By the time Nexus One comes to Verizon, there will probably be a way to overclock IT
    02-04-10 11:14 PM
    By the time Nexus One comes to Verizon, there will probably be a way to overclock IT
    Maybe so, and that would be great, but I just don't see how speeds over 1G are gonna make much of a difference in useability. But maybe I am wrong.
    02-04-10 11:28 PM
    Maybe so, and that would be great, but I just don't see how speeds over 1G are gonna make much of a difference in useability. But maybe I am wrong.
    lol us droid users can go up to 1.3 Ghz and its pretty damn stable , thats with a stock 550 MHz processor and we have it almost 3x OC, now imagine if we can do that with a stock 1 Ghz.......
    02-04-10 11:33 PM
    Came from BB to the Droid. Both the Droid and nexus are the top android phones at the moment so you can't go wrong with either. Multitouch is great, I got it in my gallery, map, and browser, it's great.
    02-04-10 11:35 PM
    lol us droid users can go up to 1.3 Ghz and its pretty damn stable , thats with a stock 550 MHz processor and we have it almost 3x OC, now imagine if we can do that with a stock 1 Ghz.......
    Let me know when it reads my mind and then does what I am thinking, lol...until then I will stick with 900mgz or lower. Dang, 1.3 is crazy.
    02-04-10 11:37 PM
    Coming from blackberry I feel android messaging and email lacks compared to blackberry, however is excells in every other way.

02-05-10 01:51 AM
    Coming from blackberry I feel android messaging and email lacks compared to blackberry, however is excells in every other way.

Agreed. In that line of thought, IM prgrams aree lacking as well.

I do think BB's have better battery life, at least on mine. I don't do well on the Droid battery at all, but, the phone does a lot more so that's fairly understandable. I bought an extended battery and life is better.

Text editing and the keyboard in general is a pain on the Droid, but, probably on the Storm as well.

Overall, I like my Droid a LOT and won't be back to BB until stuff changes bigtime.
    02-05-10 08:52 AM
    I was really hating my Storm 1 after having it for a year. Mainly because of having to do a battery pull every day. Verizon finally replaced it with a Storm 2. I wasn't expecting much difference, but it is night and day.

The Storm 2 has been rock solid. The lowest I have seen File Free memory drop to is 105 MB. My Storm 1 would drop all the way to 0 frequently, and never had more than 23 MB.

All I can figure is that it's like trying to run Windows on a PC with 256 MB RAM versus one with 2 GB RAM. If you don't have enough memory, the platform will probably be unstable. At least, the Storm 2's extra memory is the only difference I can see that would make it more stable.

And with Opera Mini and WiFi, browsing is pretty good. Maybe not AS good as on Android, but good enough for me. Not worth the tradeoff in how email sucks on Android compared to my BB.
    02-05-10 09:12 AM
    after owning four blackberries myself, i'm actually picking up my droid tomorrow. i just got fed up with the poor OS's, constant leaks, upgrades, and it still doesn't work all that great. i've been much happier recently with .419 on my Tour, but i'm still switching to the droid tomorrow. Droid messaging isn't quite up to par with blackberry, but it's a much more techie oriented phone with tons more features, so i know it will keep me happy.
    02-05-10 09:29 AM
    Yeah, at first I was realllly missing some BB stuff. But, as you assimilate, you become cool with it. I immediately loved the Droid for a lot of stuff the BB can't even come close too, then it took me a couple weeks to get ok with a few other things.

Email on K9 seems to be improving, using SWYPE on the keyboard really helped al lot (although it has it's own pain). Found a great RSS feed to replace my beloved Viigo. etc etc...

Just give it time and you'll be pleased mostly.
    02-05-10 09:32 AM
    And with Opera Mini and WiFi, browsing is pretty good. Maybe not AS good as on Android, but good enough for me. Not worth the tradeoff in how email sucks on Android compared to my BB.
    I will agree with this as far as e-mail push. But the other work around with the Android/Droid since the browser is so good u can just log directly on to say yahoo and check your emails that way. If u use your phone to keep yourself fed then u might want to take that into consideration.
    Other than that I would definitely go for the Droid, or wait for the Nexus1/Passion.
    I honestly was considering getting the N1/Passion but after overclocking my Droid and updating it with Bugless Beast which has the oc feature built in.
    I can say me getting the Passion/N1 may not happen. But with me u never know.

Also someone siad whats the point of over clocking a 1mhz phone?
    Simply put there geek freaks out there who just love to push the limits.....
    Gotta love the geeks baby
    02-05-10 09:40 AM
    I will agree with this as far as e-mail push. But the other work around with the Android/Droid since the browser is so good u can just log directly on to say yahoo and check your emails that way. If u use your phone to keep yourself fed then u might want to take that into consideration.
    Other than that I would definitely go for the Droid, or wait for the Nexus1/Passion.
    I honestly was considering getting the N1/Passion but after overclocking my Droid and updating it with Bugless Beast which has the oc feature built in.
    I can say me getting the Passion/N1 may not happen. But with me u never know.

Also someone siad whats the point of over clocking a 1mhz phone?
    Simply put there geek freaks out there who just love to push the limits.....
    Gotta love the geeks baby

LOL, not that I don't see the point of 1ghz, just wondering at what point the risk-reward becomes offset or too high. How much faster does the phone have to be over 700-800mhz to really notice a difference. Just curious as I know nothing of processors, but running hotter than normal to me would wear the phone down eventually?
    02-05-10 12:24 PM
    LOL, not that I don't see the point of 1ghz, just wondering at what point the risk-reward becomes offset or too high. How much faster does the phone have to be over 700-800mhz to really notice a difference. Just curious as I know nothing of processors, but running hotter than normal to me would wear the phone down eventually?
    I have noticed a significant difference in the performance of my phone at 950
    as far as the rest of your statement I cannot elaborate myself. But u know full well htere are just gonna be those that wanna test the limits.
    One thing I'm guessing what speed will do is allow u to run more sophisticated applications on your phone. Thats my two cents
    02-05-10 12:29 PM
    I have noticed a significant difference in the performance of my phone at 950
    as far as the rest of your statement I cannot elaborate myself. But u know full well htere are just gonna be those that wanna test the limits.
    One thing I'm guessing what speed will do is allow u to run more sophisticated applications on your phone. Thats my two cents
    That makes sense. Yeah, I am at 900 right now and it is plenty fast. That si why I was just curious cause I can't see an extra 2-300mhz making a big deal on function of the phone with the added stress.
    02-05-10 01:03 PM

messaging? seriously? if you are having problems messaging of all things i'm not sure you are maxing out its potential. try Handcent SMS (free) or Chomp SMS (free) to try and ease your worries.

hah, email is just fine on this beast. if you are having problems i would think about 90% of the time it can be solved!

this phone is ALL that it's cracked up to be! and this is google just getting started?!!?
    02-05-10 01:52 PM
    does overclocking the droid reduce the battery life significantly? I do have a need for email / sms but all the other IM apps i could care less about. All of my email / business is run through gmail anyway. It seems the N1 maintains decent battery life even with its 1ghz processor. That said, i've never used a touch device that hasn't had a click (ala the storm) or an actual keyboard. I might go play with a droid soon and see if i can find someone with the N1 to see if I like how their touchscreen works.
    02-06-10 01:42 PM
    I am at 900 and haven't noticed any battery life loss, actually maybe a bit better. Not sure if that would have to do with being able to set the CPU at lower settings when charging and at rest or not.
    02-06-10 01:44 PM
    messaging? seriously? if you are having problems messaging of all things i'm not sure you are maxing out its potential. try Handcent SMS (free) or Chomp SMS (free) to try and ease your worries.

hah, email is just fine on this beast. if you are having problems i would think about 90% of the time it can be solved!

this phone is ALL that it's cracked up to be! and this is google just getting started?!!?
    I agree. I switched from a BB Bold 9000 to the Nexus and I haven't missed a beat when it comes to email. I simply migrated to Gmail...and feel as connected as I ever did with BB. Texting is so much nicer as well. My gmail comes in just as quick as my @blackberry email. Setting up a yahoo account was a pain in the **** though. However I just closed that account as well and moved entirely to gmail. It feels polished compared to BB email. I have several other enail accounts but I just check those with the browser...it's just as quick and easy as on a laptop anyway.

There is nothing I can think of that I miss about the BB experience.

edit: man, crackberry is filtering the word b u t t ???
    Last edited by Marine One; 02-06-10 at 02:08 PM.
    02-06-10 01:58 PM
    I am at 900 and haven't noticed any battery life loss, actually maybe a bit better. Not sure if that would have to do with being able to set the CPU at lower settings when charging and at rest or not.
    I'm running at 800Mhz/250Mhz and my battery life seems to have improved as well, especially when browsing the web and playing games. Go figure.
    02-06-10 02:12 PM
    I'm running at 1.1GHz/250MHz and my Droid is lighting fast and EXTREMELY stable. Couldn't be happier right now. Plus with the profiles I have set, battery life is awesome.
    02-06-10 04:27 PM
    I've been running 800MHz but I may just clock my Droid up to 950 just to see the difference. BTW, how does 1.1GHz compare to 800MHz concerning the browser?
    It is much faster. Pages seem to render a lot faster and everything overall I feel is much smoother. I had it set at 950MHz and 1GHz, and I can tell the difference when I have it set on 1.1GHz. Also, my device has not heated up at all. It does get a little hotter, but it is almost unnoticeable unless you use the device for 4 hours without putting it down.
    02-06-10 06:34 PM
    There are a lot of features from the BB that I can't give up. I like the Droid; I like a lot of other devices too. But BBs have those particulars that I need.

02-07-10 04:56 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD