Anyone know a stable 5.0 OS that has a 3G symbol instead of a 1EXV? Already tried .230 and that had a lot of issues. Any help would be appreciated
    02-04-10 09:11 PM
    02-04-10 09:15 PM
    I'm running 5.0.0.419 w/Driphter's 5.1 hybrid...It has the 3G symbol...but what is the significance of the four dots next to the 3G???
    02-04-10 09:19 PM
    Not this thread again......
    02-04-10 10:34 PM
    I was running .419 for awhile, but had a big memory leak so now back to .230. You can load any 5.0 os for the tour and then use the 3g patch linked above.
    02-04-10 10:38 PM
    What is the obsession with this 3g symbol? Its not gonna make the phone do a damn thing that its not doing now except display a different icon. I know I dont need a 3G icon to fit in and be cool...
    02-04-10 10:49 PM
    I was running .419 for awhile, but had a big memory leak so now back to .230. You can load any 5.0 os for the tour and then use the 3g patch linked above.
    Really? I find .419 to be excellent with memory usage. If your using a weather app that runs in the background I find them to be the worst culprits with memory leakage!
    02-04-10 10:56 PM
    Really? I find .419 to be excellent with memory usage. If your using a weather app that runs in the background I find them to be the worst culprits with memory leakage!
    I have weathereye to update every 2 hours with no problems or memory issue. It leaked because I was part of a BBM group and the memory would just keep creepin down.
    02-04-10 10:59 PM
    Hmmmm....I'm part of a BBM Group as well. With FB, Quick Pull Lite, Pandora, Google Sync and 18 hours up time, I'm @ 98.5mb free.

No clue!
    02-04-10 11:03 PM
    What is the obsession with this 3g symbol? Its not gonna make the phone do a damn thing that its not doing now except display a different icon. I know I dont need a 3G icon to fit in and be cool...
    It's not to fit in to be cool, it's the fact that "1XEV" is just damn ugly. I wish I could get a 3G symbol but it's Verizon only as of now
    02-04-10 11:04 PM
    I have at least 10+ apps, part of a bbm group, and most of the apps are constantly updating, I have about 120mb of memory left.
    02-04-10 11:33 PM
    3G + the 4 BB dots means true 3G, JUST the 3G icon with no dots means 1xev.
    02-05-10 01:10 AM
    There is a patch COD that will put the 3G symbol on a VZW running OS 5.0- it was very easy to do! You don't need to be running a hybrid to use it.

driphter3G icon patch

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-10 10:12 AM
    All I can say is wow. It amazes me how people make such big deal whether the device says 1XEV or 3G. They are the same thing.
    02-05-10 10:21 AM
    i prefer the 1XEV. then you can see it be 1X when you're on a call--meaning you can't do data. AND, i don't consider EV-DO Rev A a 3G technology. 3G stands for third generation wireless technology. imho a generation is something new/different/game changing. 1G = voice. 2G = digital voice, a wee bit of data. 2.5G+ = voice or relatively useful data speeds--like web browsing on the go on your device, tethered, or with an aircard.

3G has to offer something new to consider it a new generation of technology, otherwise it's not bringing anything new to the table, just improving current technology. simultaneous voice + data sounds like a new step in the cellular world so lets call that 3G. 4G is data over the air like high speed copper.

So, for the love of god--CDMA please release EVDO Rev B so we can have simultaneous voice and data while we wait for LTE and to help with the transition to LTE once it starts rollout.
    02-05-10 10:46 AM
    02-05-10 10:50 AM
    So, for the love of god--CDMA please release EVDO Rev B so we can have simultaneous voice and data while we wait for LTE and to help with the transition to LTE once it starts rollout.
    I will tell you now, this will not happen. Upgrades cost too much and LTE will start rolling this year. Not to mention your BB will not work on LTE
    02-05-10 11:14 AM

Is this something the carrier can do or do we need a new phone to have voice and data at the same time?
    02-05-10 11:54 AM
    I hear the 3G icon gives you better battery life?
    02-05-10 01:04 PM
    I hear the 3G icon gives you better battery life?
    Wow. Would this be cause there are two less letters to have to light up screen? Cannot see this being that much of an improvement.
    02-05-10 01:20 PM
    Is this something the carrier can do or do we need a new phone to have voice and data at the same time?
    Refering to rev B? not going to happen.

LTE? yes you will need a new device
    02-05-10 01:21 PM
    I will tell you now, this will not happen. Upgrades cost too much and LTE will start rolling this year. Not to mention your BB will not work on LTE
    well the problem is that funding has basically stopped for the CDMA development group and while Rev B is under way it's likely that it will never be finished as a standard and released. it's a software upgrade on the carrier and client side so it's really not that expensive. this is the advantage that GSM has for bridging the gap between 3G and 4G -- they're doing software upgrades on UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA+, and so forth. Solid LTE deployment and adoption will easily take 4 years. CDMA isn't going anywhere for a long time, so i'm just saying it would be nice if the release that it died on had voice + data.
    02-05-10 01:57 PM
    well the problem is that funding has basically stopped for the CDMA development group and while Rev B is under way it's likely that it will never be finished as a standard and released. it's a software upgrade on the carrier and client side so it's really not that expensive. this is the advantage that GSM has for bridging the gap between 3G and 4G -- they're doing software upgrades on UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA+, and so forth. Solid LTE deployment and adoption will easily take 4 years. CDMA isn't going anywhere for a long time, so i'm just saying it would be nice if the release that it died on had voice + data.
    I hear you and this would nice.
    02-05-10 02:17 PM
    It's not the '3G' but the BB symbol that makes it kool
    02-05-10 07:54 PM
    Wow. Would this be cause there are two less letters to have to light up screen? Cannot see this being that much of an improvement.
    I was just kiddingg
    02-05-10 07:59 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD