hi ,
    i got my pal pre on friday and am trying to determine which device to use..either the pre or my mot droid..
    I like the webos, but the feel of the pre seems cheap vs the droid..
    seems doesnt mean it is though..

I noticed that some features the palm pre doesnt have like voice dial and visiaul voice mail..

which is better device in your opinions..

i use my devices for email, web, apps, some gaming..pretty much anything really.
    I have 30 days or a little less to try this out..not sure which way to do..
    ive had bad luck with the droid, working on my 3rd replacement from verizon.
    my issue was even after a second replacement that apps would open randomly..i clidk on email...email opens and so does the browser or market place..etc..

i wonder if this is a bug in the android os or a hardware glitch..

I was told by a palm rep that visual voicemail and voice dial may be included in future palm software updates..but MAY be.. not sure..

your thoughts
    02-04-10 12:28 PM
    Well seeing how the Droid doesn't intend on supporting OpenGL anytime soon ang gaming was in your list of to do's I would suggest the Pre. I personally never use visual voicemail or oice dialing as I find them to be novelty options at best. There are some VV apps though in the app catalog though.
    02-04-10 04:02 PM
    thanks for the reply..which is a better product?
    I know they both have their downfalls..

Im guessing that both have a solid OS as well?
    02-04-10 04:30 PM
    Droid has better app support because it's been around longer. Pre is younger, so less features are currently available so far.

Pre is getting a much faster start on 3d gaming though. Other than that it's just mostly user preference on what interfaces you like better and what you want to do...
    02-04-10 04:41 PM
    Youmail is available now on Pre via Homebrew apps, it's in the final beta stages, but works flawlessly for me. As far as devices, the biggest downfall to the Pre is battery life, you MUST charge every night, I took mine off the charger at about 8am this morning, and right now I'm at 9%, now I used internet heavily today while waiting for a Dr appt. I've read that Seidio makes a better battery with 17% more charge and no ugly extended back. The only only complaint I have is the sound profile isnt customizable almost at all. I can set per contact alerts, change ringtone, and change notification sound (all email, sms, mms), I've read on precentral that there are homebrew apps to alleviate this and that the next update from Palm will address some of these issues. Pre is really nice and a solid OS, but as Papped said it's young, i swear everyday there are at least a hundred new apps added.

hi ,
    i got my pal pre on friday and am trying to determine which device to use..either the pre or my mot droid..
    I like the webos, but the feel of the pre seems cheap vs the droid..
    seems doesnt mean it is though..

I noticed that some features the palm pre doesnt have like voice dial and visiaul voice mail..

which is better device in your opinions..

i use my devices for email, web, apps, some gaming..pretty much anything really.
    I have 30 days or a little less to try this out..not sure which way to do..
    ive had bad luck with the droid, working on my 3rd replacement from verizon.
    my issue was even after a second replacement that apps would open randomly..i clidk on email...email opens and so does the browser or market place..etc..

i wonder if this is a bug in the android os or a hardware glitch..

I was told by a palm rep that visual voicemail and voice dial may be included in future palm software updates..but MAY be.. not sure..

your thoughts
    Last edited by jbuck387; 02-04-10 at 05:34 PM.
    02-04-10 05:30 PM
    is it normal for me to experience such a problem with the droid to the point where i would need a 3rd replacement?
    02-04-10 07:08 PM
    is it normal for me to experience such a problem with the droid to the point where i would need a 3rd replacement?
    You can end up in that situation on any phone really. It's just luck of the draw usually.
    02-04-10 07:10 PM
    I just got off the phone with a vzw rep. They tell me that I since Ive replaced 3 droids due to glitches in hardware i guess..I am permitted to get a different model phone if I want to of equal or less value..even swap..

Do I stick with the droid? do i jump ship to the pre or go back to the storm 2?
    I know each of these devices has its own issues, does the bb lag behind the other 2 that much?
    02-07-10 04:15 PM
    I just got off the phone with a vzw rep. They tell me that I since Ive replaced 3 droids due to glitches in hardware i guess..I am permitted to get a different model phone if I want to of equal or less value..even swap..

Do I stick with the droid? do i jump ship to the pre or go back to the storm 2?
    I know each of these devices has its own issues, does the bb lag behind the other 2 that much?
    Storm 2 isn't in the same class.
    02-07-10 04:36 PM
    I'd go with the Storm 2 personally, but it's all about what you prefer.
    02-08-10 01:45 PM
    why would you go with the storm 2?
    I personally think all pdas are decent and I think they all have their own issues..

While I think the android os is nicer than the bb os..bb are much more mainstream and as far as apps bb is tops..
    not considering apple.

people knock the storm 2 all the time..I dont know why. I think it is just as capable as the palm pre or the droid.. and each has their own quirks..

a vzw rep once told me that imagine trying to shove all these features into a device the size of a half of a cd case.. there are always going to be some issues..some just minor and some not so minor..
    02-08-10 02:13 PM
    They do all have their quirks. WebOs tends to be kind of slow, the battery life on all webOs devices is terrible, *no virtual keyboard*, and there is virtually no customization. Those are some of my major issues with it. It has the early iPhone syndrome where everything is "coming in a future OS update". The Pre/Pixi keyboard is also mediocre.

I like the Storm2 + surepress better than both the Pre and Pixi (mediocre qwerty + no virtual keyboard).

While the Pre browser is very good, it's also very annoying that it has no "column" view. Navigating websites like the CB forums is really irritating and the text entry boxes exceed the screen length, so you have to keep panning and zooming constantly... Also it lacks a lot of the benefits that BB has, such as being able to navigate and edit text easily (good luck on WebOS), lack of hard key shortcuts, etc.

The droid I haven't used enough to give a solid opinion on. I was not a huge fan of the keyboard though. On short usage, I liked the WebOS interface better than Android.
    Last edited by papped; 02-08-10 at 05:15 PM.
    02-08-10 05:12 PM
    Android. It is the most customizable. Hacking is very easy also, and there are a number of websites where you can learn. CB's very own Android sub-forum has a lot of information too.

I recently overclocked my Droid's 550MHz processor, to 1.1GHz and couldn't be happier. It is fast as lightning. I also have installed a custom ROM which helps make it even faster, and has a lot of customization in it.
    02-08-10 05:30 PM
    Battery life is pretty bad, it lasts me through the day, but I HAVE to charge every night (I've got OEM battery) there are 1400mAh batteries out there that I hear make a big difference, battery life is also significantly effected by location use, i turned that off (never use it, I turn it back on when I need it, very quick to do) and I had 20% more battery that night. There are Homebrew patched for a virtual keyboard, an some are good, and some are terrible. I would not say webOS is slow though, it makes my Storm 1 seem like a dinosaur, webOS is pretty damn fast. Each phone has it's up's and downs, but webOS does get better every day with new patches and apps constantly being released.

They do all have their quirks. WebOs tends to be kind of slow, the battery life on all webOs devices is terrible, *no virtual keyboard*, and there is virtually no customization. Those are some of my major issues with it. It has the early iPhone syndrome where everything is "coming in a future OS update". The Pre/Pixi keyboard is also mediocre.

I like the Storm2 + surepress better than both the Pre and Pixi (mediocre qwerty + no virtual keyboard).

While the Pre browser is very good, it's also very annoying that it has no "column" view. Navigating websites like the CB forums is really irritating and the text entry boxes exceed the screen length, so you have to keep panning and zooming constantly... Also it lacks a lot of the benefits that BB has, such as being able to navigate and edit text easily (good luck on WebOS), lack of hard key shortcuts, etc.

The droid I haven't used enough to give a solid opinion on. I was not a huge fan of the keyboard though. On short usage, I liked the WebOS interface better than Android.
    02-08-10 05:33 PM
    I've used the homebrew VKs plenty, and to put it blunt they tend to be pretty terrible. Also they suffer from the lack of integration that a real VK would have.

In general webOs is pretty slow for things like transitioning and opening apps, and based on Pre+ feedback it doesn't look like the issue is hardware related.

Also the entire problem with patches is that you have to patch basic functionality that should have existed in the first place, like the email app supporting landscape for example... This pushes homebrew patches from the realm of a "bonus" to the realm of "necessity", which is not a good thing imo.
    Last edited by papped; 02-08-10 at 07:10 PM.
    02-08-10 07:06 PM
    can anyone explain to me the memory and processor differences between the palm pre and the storm 2?

the pre has a cpu and seperate 3d acclerator, correct? while the storm 2 has one cpu that does it all.
    I remember that the storm 1 did lousy with 3d games because , I dont remember exactly..whether it was the hardware or the software that just didnt support 3d. Is that still the case?

Im tryin go figure out which one I want to get.
    I played with both the storm 2 and the pre .
    both are nice devices, although the storm 2 seems to be much better built.

But my concerns are what is under the hood so to speak..
    any suggestions?

my primary uses again are
    1. emai/web
    2.texting (which any device can do)
    3. stable and relatively quick ok..
    4. casual gaming..
    5. mp3 playback..like i tunes..
    02-09-10 10:15 PM
    Storm 1 didn't support opengl and there was no 3d acceleration. So basically there weren't really any 3d games.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-09-10 10:53 PM
    papped, you sound like you are a fan of the storm or bb's, thats fine. Does the storm 2 support these things?
    open gel and does the storm 2 support 3d?

I did like my first storm, but it was by no means bug free. It felt like a well built device too...
    02-10-10 09:22 AM
    which is a more powerful piece of hardware?
    02-10-10 12:13 PM
    I noticed the browser on the droid and pre is pretty quick and the storm 2 is SLOW..but that can all be fixed with a sw update..
    then agian most quirks on these devices can be corrected by a sw update..

so is it safe to say os and hw power wise.. droid and pre are on top of verizons list and then comes the storm 2? and all of this is due to software..i guess
    02-10-10 12:16 PM
    papped, you sound like you are a fan of the storm or bb's, thats fine. Does the storm 2 support these things?
    open gel and does the storm 2 support 3d?

I did like my first storm, but it was by no means bug free. It felt like a well built device too...
    Storm 2 supports open gl, but open gl titles are scarce as of now. That will stay the same for a while until more devices support open gl.

So for 3d gaming, Pre no question (even over the Droid). I wonder how much you will end up doing gaming on the pre though... You can literally kill the battery in maybe 4+ hours if you do that a lot.

As bad as BB browser is for most non-mobile websites, I still like it far, far better for text only or mobile websites using column view. Use a Pre and try posting a reply (and editing the text in the reply) on the CB mobile forums, you'll see what I mean.

The browser is far superior for rendering for sure though.
    02-10-10 12:29 PM
    Go with the Droid. At least that will be around longer than Palm will. The ad campaign is terrible, there are no apps, most developers are sitting around waiting to see whether the company will pull it off. As much as I loved my old Treo, these guys at Palm keep thinking that they will find another sucker to invest in them after they bleed the company dry in a year. I love what Web OS could be but they keep on screwing around with other stuff like iTunes compatibility instead of basics like full backup to your PC and sync over USB. Apps are currently not backed up properly. Will take them forever to get it right.
    02-15-10 11:43 AM
    slinky, im not sure if you know this or not.. does the storm 2 have a decent hardare profile?

I heard palm is having issues and this is their last chance to redeem before they go under. Seems that this device will either make them or break them..
    I noticed it has a ton of apps and decent ones too..

I know it, like any other device has its + an -s'
    02-15-10 01:10 PM
    slinky, im not sure if you know this or not.. does the storm 2 have a decent hardare profile?

I heard palm is having issues and this is their last chance to redeem before they go under. Seems that this device will either make them or break them..
    I noticed it has a ton of apps and decent ones too..

I know it, like any other device has its + an -s'
    The Storm 2 is much more solid, IMHO. The keyboard takes some getting used to and you love it or hate it. I hate virtual keyboards, especailly for lots of email like i do. Also don't like their version of the push touch screen but it does have it's positive points.

Palm only has about 1500 apps and mostly people are talking about games. Some are decent but I'm unimpressed with how much is missing and the crappy hardware. I can't imagine they won't replace it with something much better by July. Problem is Palm is taking forever to release things and by end of year they might have some noticeable financial problems and takeover possibility.

If RIM had an ounce of brains they would have put out the Dakota years ago instead of making another lame iPhone wannabe. Like many, I'd buy that in a second.
    02-15-10 03:13 PM
    The Storm 2 is much more solid, IMHO.
    The Storm? More solid? Seriously?
    02-16-10 11:32 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD