Hi,
    This afternoon, i looked at my blackberry and i saw my LED flashing, and on the screen the little message symbol is at the top. This obvioulsy means i have a message. The strange thing is, i dont have a message, or at least i cant get to it.

Any help?
    The LED keeps flashing, and the little envelope icon is there, but i dont have any SMS messges or Email.

Thanks
    Alex
    02-04-10 10:00 AM
    Reboot. This happened once on my 8900 too
    02-04-10 10:04 AM
    If the reboot doesn't work, go into messages, select the current date (not a message, but the date), hit the menu button & click Mark Prior Opened. Same thing happened to me and that took care of it.
    02-04-10 10:07 AM
    Nice one, Alex. Now my 8900 is doing the same thing and rebooting and trying nfld's suggestion also didn't work.

Time for a battery pull. Oh well, I guess I'll change colors on my epik resin
    02-04-10 10:27 AM
    thanks guys!
    Ive tried Clicking Mark prior opened didnt do anything, neither did a reboot, or battery pull. The icon is still there.
    Any other suggestions? its getting on my nerves telling me i have a message
    thanks!
    02-04-10 10:43 AM
    Did you happen to install BeeJive and play around with the options today?

BTW I believe this is an IM icon and not an email msg icon. At least that's what's happening on mine. I tried sending myself and email, and I got an additional icon, which cleared when I opened the email. The original slanted one is still showing, and nothing in BBM.
    02-04-10 10:47 AM
    nope, nothing new installed today. I figured out its an email icon now, i sent a text to my bb from another phone and a text is a different icon.
    Its something to do with my email, and i dont understand what.
    02-04-10 10:49 AM
    This is just a thought, but is it an SMS icon? If you get voicemail, you'll also get an SMS notification. That notification won't go away unless you specifically go into your SMS inbox. I know this is probably too simplistic, so forgive me if it's something you've already done.
    02-04-10 10:55 AM
    Thanks, that sounds like something worth checking after this latest reboot finishes (groan).

But I thought I had all my SMS set to go to my inbox with emails, maybe I'm wrong. I'll get back to you. I also reinstalled Beejive because I changed the settings to give me IM messages today for the 1st time, maybe that caused it.
    02-04-10 10:58 AM
    +1 for you my friend. I had an SMS hidden away. SMS spam from my carrier! Apparently RIM is scheduling another possible outage for Feb 6th.

Also, I had my settings to keep SMS and email separate. I fixed that.

Thanks!
    02-04-10 11:00 AM
    Yeapp, i've checked it. Iv just found out a few friends of mine who have the same bb have the same problem, and they'v tried everything to get rid of it. Im thinking maybe restore? although that would be the last resort as i'd lose everything on my bb
    02-04-10 11:01 AM
    this happened to me twice.

1. have u checked both the "SMS and MMS" and "Message" folder? I dont know if its just my phone but i have 2 different folders.

2. go into your text msg folder and hit B to go to the bottom of ur msgs. i had an unopened msg there somehow.
    02-04-10 11:28 AM
    This also happened to me.

I noticed however when in my Messages folder that while scrolling through the messages each message would be highlighted individually and then when I scrolled to the next message, it wouldn't highlight.

Paying more attention, there was another message in between the two that I was looking at, but it didn't fully display the header of the message. The line in between the two messages would highlight. After noticing that, I clicked on the highlighted line and up popped a text message.

So if you just mark it read, the message might actually still be in your messages folder until you finally find and delete it.
    02-04-10 02:30 PM
    This also happened to me.

I noticed however when in my Messages folder that while scrolling through the messages each message would be highlighted individually and then when I scrolled to the next message, it wouldn't highlight.

Paying more attention, there was another message in between the two that I was looking at, but it didn't fully display the header of the message. The line in between the two messages would highlight. After noticing that, I clicked on the highlighted line and up popped a text message.

So if you just mark it read, the message might actually still be in your messages folder until you finally find and delete it.
    The same thing happened to me when I had both a BBM and a SMS chat ongoing with the same person (she was copied on a group SMS). When I saw 2 chats in BBM, I basically closed one leaving the BBM. Then, when I went into my SMS inbox I had the same thing - a line in between messages that would highlight! Certainly new for me.

Great thing about this site is that everyone actually tries to be helpful. Pretty nice place to be all things considered.
    02-04-10 05:34 PM
    Why did I mess with this? Now its worse. Trying to fix, will give details later.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-10 06:46 AM
    Why did I mess with this? Now its worse. Trying to fix, will give details later.

Usualy a battery pull would do it...

02-06-10 07:20 AM
    So i came on here to try to get an answer but ended up figuring it out by clicking around ...

GO TO MESSAGES, OPTIONS, DISPLAY MESSAGE COUNT, NONE

thats the only way i was able to get rid of that second message icon indicator

good luck
    02-21-10 12:14 PM
    ok happened to me too...took the battery out for abt 30 seconds and

notification gone.
    03-29-10 10:11 AM
    happened to me too once. Drove me nuts for an hour until I figured out that I had accidentally "saved" an unread message. So, even deleting it from the inbox wouldn't clear the notification. Once I went into the "saved" folder and marked it as open, everything was fine.
    03-29-10 12:32 PM
    I have a similar problem sometimes. It's not specific to any one provider, carrier, or phone type. Here the complaint is that there's an excess of notification even when there's a lack of message. Sometimes, to the contrary, there's a lack of notification even when there's an excess of (or at least EXISTENCE of) messages. You'd at least like to be told they're there! Either way, it's only problematic if (1) you expect your BB to work "properly" (some people don't mind minor glitches; I dislike it); or (2) you're waiting for a call but you can't turn your phone ringer on (I'm often in class) so you rely on the notification icon to inform you of the fact of a message, so you need it to be accurate; and (something not yet mentioned) (3) an inaccurate icon hogs a bit of memory (yours might already be stretched to its limit), because it automatically inserts into nearly every menu in a LOT of the applications an extra command to "Call Voice Mail", which takes up some processing effort.

As I understand it, conceptually there's a minor conflict in the notion, on the one hand, of "reconciling" a voice-mail in-box (in other words, comparing the server in the sky to the data on the handset) as opposed to, on the other hand, "delivering" or "retrieving" a single message at a time. Some programmers don't "get it" and program something circular that fails to re-initialize all records every time.

How to solve it? Below are some old notes I have taken off of threads similar to this one.

First, my personal solutions:
    1. Try this:
    Options >> Security Options >> Firewall >> Blackberry Menu Key >> Reset All Counts >> Blackberry Menu Key >> Save

2. If that doesn't work (drat!), try this:
    Call yourself FROM ANOTHER LINE >> leave a message >> hang up >> wait two minutes >> call your voice mail FROM THE BLACKBERRY (don't just use visual-voice-mail; actually dial in to your voicemail service) >> listen to the message >> delete that, and all other, messages carefully (usually the "7" key) >> DON'T HANG UP, but instead, use the "disconnect" commannd (usually the "*" key) and listen to the pretty lady's voice say "goodbye"

3. If that doesn't work, try the (oh darn it ...) ever-popular Battery Pull, INCLUDING:
    a. battery-pull while the phone is turned on
    b. also pull out the SIM card
    c. wait two minutes before re-install

4. If that doesn't work (jeepers!), try running App Loader and re-installing, from scratch, your preferred operating system

5. If that doesn't work (grr), call your carrier and have them "re-initialize" your voice mail service, or have them delete and then "provision" it again, or whatever lingo they use.

6. If that doesn't work (!), tell them that it's a factory fault and you want four new free handsets, and a squadron of dancing girls to deliver them to you. Settle for one handset shipped overnight.
    Now, here are some suggestions from another thread, written by some other user elsewhere in "the cloud" ..
    If you have an errant voicemail waiting icon on your homescreen:

* Call your voicemail and clear the message.

* Call your BB from another line and leave a message. From you BB, call your voicemail and clear and delete your messages.

* If the above fails, pull your battery to reset and reboot your BlackBerry.

If you have a rogue New Message icon on your Homescreen, or a negative count (-1), any one of these solutions could clear it, or reset it to zero:

Try these options:

* Hard Reset the BlackBerry by holding ALT, CAP (right Shift key), and DEL (or pulling out and reinserting the battery)

* View Messages > Saved Messages

* View Messages > View Folders, check each folder (missed calls, SMS in and out boxes, MMS in and out boxes, Saved, browser, phone logs etc)

* Scroll to top of message folder, over the date heading, click or press menu to MARK PRIOR OPEN

* Change your theme and see if it persists, and change back to your desired theme. (Options > Theme > select.)

* Wipe and reload your OS.
    Last edited by cliftonprince; 03-31-10 at 01:37 PM.
    03-31-10 01:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD