Hello All,

I just got my new 8530 wifi enabled BB curve. I upgraded from a 8330 which I loved. Previously I was on an HTC touch which was good too.

I am simply amazed that there are so many other phones with the hotspot capability built into them and blackberry doesn't even have an app that I have found to do this. I only cound some hardware from CradlePoint but even they tell me that it won't work with v5 software.

So, my question or challenge, is there an app out there somewhere that can turn my BB into a wifi hotspot. I imagine it is coming but maybe it is out there somewhere and I am looking in the wrong places.

Anyone?

Tom
    02-04-10 07:19 AM
    Hello All,

I just got my new 8530 wifi enabled BB curve. I upgraded from a 8330 which I loved. Previously I was on an HTC touch which was good too.

I am simply amazed that there are so many other phones with the hotspot capability built into them and blackberry doesn't even have an app that I have found to do this. I only cound some hardware from CradlePoint but even they tell me that it won't work with v5 software.

So, my question or challenge, is there an app out there somewhere that can turn my BB into a wifi hotspot. I imagine it is coming but maybe it is out there somewhere and I am looking in the wrong places.

Anyone?

Tom
    That would kill your battery for one and for a second point it would be tethering so I would be careful with something like that

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-10 10:58 AM
    I do this constantly with my E71x and yes its hard on the battery, solution is to keep it plugged in when you do it. Get with it RIM!
    02-04-10 11:02 AM
    I do this constantly with my E71x and yes its hard on the battery, solution is to keep it plugged in when you do it. Get with it RIM!
    Very few of these solutions are manufacturer based, rather it's a 'hack' to the phones operating system. The Pre for example, has to be hacked to allow the wifi host option.
    RIM does what it does just fine. I like my berry. Perhaps since it's such a capable smart phone I don't find the need to boot up a pc when near it.
    02-04-10 03:45 PM
    I didn't mean for this to get into a good and bad match about different phones.

My friends phone is an out of the box system with droid on it. They did nothing special to it and it allows itself to be a wifi hotspot.

So while I understand the battery thing, I still would like to see an app that allows me to do it. I did find the Cradlepoint stuff but they tell me it won't work with my BB.

Just looking for options and not a fight.

Tom
    02-04-10 04:23 PM
    Why do people find the need to jump on a guy for a simple question? A good question at that. I also would like to see something like this. As mentioned it is already available on many phones and works fantastic. Heard cradlepoint works great, but until they come out with a 5.0 fix this is not an option. So anyone have any bright ideas without the negative attacks?
    02-05-10 09:24 AM
    Hey there all, again.

The question remains unanswered. Is there something coming that anyone knows of that will allow me to connected to my BB as a wifi hotspot?

Tom
    02-10-10 07:36 AM
    Guess ur answer is nothing yet. U should be able to thether if its just for one pc via a cable, but multi user, maybe someone will dev an app?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-10 06:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD