I am currently blackberry-less and was hoping to get some insight into the Tour. I have been trying, so hard, to hold out for the Tour 2 but I just don't know if I can any longer. So, I was hoping you all might be able to help me.

First, will any of you be switching to the Tour 2 when it comes out? If so, why? Is the normal speed of the Tour ok? How long does the battery last? Does the internet move ok (concerning speed) even without wireless? Will wireless really make that much difference? Is the trackball really that faulty? Does the camera work ok?

Thank you so much for your help, I look forward to finally getting a blackberry!
    02-03-10 07:15 AM
    everything about the Tour is great! Besides the trackball on Tour 1. That is the main faulty iteam on the Tour as I'm curretly waiting on a replacement Tour to come in the mail just today as my trackball went out again. Since Tour 2 is so close to coming out, your best bet is to wait for it as you will regret it if you just get the Tour 1.

Camera on Tour 1 is great as well, very fast and takes pictures good considering its a camera phone with only a 3.2mp lense.

I would upgrade to Tour 2 if my contract is up, but I'm not paying retial for Tour 2 over 500 bucks when it comes out though. By the time my contract is over in late 2011 Tour 3 will be in the works I'm sure.
    Last edited by mjbesen310; 02-03-10 at 07:30 AM.
    02-03-10 07:26 AM
    Welcome to the fourms!

You've asked a lot of questions so I'll try to give you my honest but brief opinion. The tour is an amazing device, with which you would not be dissapointed. I will not be running out to get a tour 2 because the only differences really are that the 2 has a trackpad, more onboard memory, and wifi. Trackpad is nice but the trackball works fine and the tradeoff is a smaller bottom row of keys with the pad. My trackball works fine and I bought my device in November '09. For memory, the tour holds up to 32GB memory cards which is more than enough memory epxansion and negates the 2GB being included on the tour 2. Battery depends completely on your usage and signal strength and will vary significantly from person to person. My set up gives me about 30 hours of uptime from fully charged to dead and I try to charge nightly. The internet works fine and is more than fast enough. I'd recommend getting the Opera Mini Beta 2 as an add on browser because, despite the few bugs i've found, is far superior to the native browser. The tour 2 may drop soon and it may be worthwhile to compare the devices side by side but if you can't wait, there is absolutely no reason I can think of as to why you would not be happy with the tour. Good luck.
    02-03-10 07:28 AM
    i would say this ... do u need WiFi ... will u use it ...?
    if your answer is no then get the tour and dont wait for the tour2

the trackballs on the tours that are out now are fine ...

and u can also get OS 5.0 on tour ... and the tour will be cheaper then the tour2 ...the onboard memory is useless ... cant installs apps to it ... just stuff that u can install to card ... so everyone these days has a large sized card

so if u are not going to use WiFi then why pay more for a device that has it ... thats the one thing that i wish my tour had ... WiFi ... but i am not wasting an upgrade just to get it ... too many new BB devices going to be rolling out this year.. i want the touch screen and keyboard device ... magnum
    02-03-10 07:39 AM
    I honestly agree with all the above posts. I would say go get your tour, get familiar with it. Enjoy it, learn more about it. It honestly has been the most reliable BB i have ever had.

Guess what as well... If the tour two comes out in less than thirty days of purchasing, go get it... take your tour 9630 back, say you want the tour 2, pay the dif... and walk away a happy man... But it will not be worth waiting months for, days, weeks maybe.. BUt you have already put that time in.

I will be upgrading my phone to the tour 2. with saying this I like to change out phones all the daggon time... I have 5 lines on my account and just upgrade all the time. ( I have five people on my lines as well, I just give them my old berries and take the new ones.. they never mind... the get a amped up hybrid berry and I get a new toy) But if I did not have this obsession My tour would be my end all of devices.
    02-03-10 07:53 AM
    Thank you all so much, your advice is definitely helping my decision. I have heard great things about the tour, the only complaints I have really heard is about the trackball and lack of wifi. I don't think I will use the internet that much, just facebook and random searches. I agree about the 30 day thing too, my bf works at VZW and said the Tour is still in high stock and Tour 2 isn't in their database at all yet.... I am too impatient and need a better phone, haha.

Thank you again!!
    02-03-10 08:10 AM
    I love my tour for all the reasons listed above. I really dont care about the wifi so I do not plan to run out and get the T2. I just got my tour back in november and everything seems to work great. I finally have everything set up just how I want it. It works great and is a great phone.
    02-03-10 08:16 AM
    Thank you all so much, your advice is definitely helping my decision. I have heard great things about the tour, the only complaints I have really heard is about the trackball and lack of wifi. I don't think I will use the internet that much, just facebook and random searches. I agree about the 30 day thing too, my bf works at VZW and said the Tour is still in high stock and Tour 2 isn't in their database at all yet.... I am too impatient and need a better phone, haha.

Thank you again!!
    Tour 2 IS in Verizons database. We have seem pictures of the database with Tour 2 in it already from weeks ago a long with Verizon branded Tour 2's already. Not saying anythign bad about your bf that works at Verizon, but A LOT, and I mean A LOT of verizon workers have no idea about new phones coming out. We know more on here then a lot of Verizon workers know about. You might want to check out the Tour 2 forum for information.
    02-03-10 08:26 AM
    The Tour is great. I haven't had any problems w/my Tour. The trackball, camera, etc. works good. I've chosen to upgrade to 5.0 and absolutely love it. I would recommend you do the same if you feel comfortable doing this. I do not plan to upgrade to the Tour 2 for 2 reasons - (1) Wifi is no big deal to me, (2) I'm not on Vzw.

When the Tour2comes out, I'm sure there will be loads of problems that the Tour1 has experienced - all BBs come w/their share of issues. Overall it's a solid phone and the investment is worth it.
    02-03-10 10:55 AM
    mjbesen310 -- I wasn't saying it isn't coming out soon, I said it is probably right around the corner, I am just telling you what he told me, and he has worked for VZW for 9 years. All I meant is it is not in THEIR database, maybe in some markets it is.... but it is not in anything he could see. He showed me a snapshot of the phones including upcoming phones. Sorry!!
    02-03-10 02:40 PM
    I was debating back and forth whether I should upgrade to the Tour 2 or not... but after long consideration and knowing my contract isn't up til Jan. 2011 I decided to enjoy what I have, TOUR. I don't need wi-fi for my personal useage... my trackball works perfectly. And I keep it fully charge using my desktop pod. I luv my Tour, so I say GET THE TOUR, why wait unless you need wi-fi and the trackpad. Plus--- the cost is great right about now. You can't go wrong either way in my opinion. Just balance out your pro's and con's. I had too, I'm so addicted.

...now tomorrow I may change my mind, and put out the month to month cost of the Tour2 ( I'm know, it's crazy)
    02-03-10 03:28 PM
    Is anybody willing to swap their Tour for a Storm? The phone is in great shape and works without any problems. I just want to do a simple swap... I'm over the touch screen phase and just want a keyboard. Anyone in the Tampa area willing to trade PM me!

Thanks for reading,

Tony
    03-31-10 02:13 AM

the trackballs on the tours that are out now are fine ...
    Is this true- is the trackball no longer an issue on any of the Tours that are out now? I have been dying to trade my 8530 in for a Tour since I got it 3 weeks ago, but the trackball complaints have been the only thing holding me back (I am not in a position to be able to run to Sprint each time my trackball fails). My Sprint rep here literally laughed in my face the other day when I tried to exchange it.

Also, I saw some horror videos on You-tube where on one phone the screen faintly flickers non-stop, and on another the screen ripples from the sides- are these common issues, or does anyone know if they have been fixed as well?

(My 30 day trial period is almost over and I do not want buyers remorse for the next year. The only reason I even switched to Sprint was because of a brief local rumor that the 9650s were to be launched this month . Reguardless of which phone keep, I will be upgrading to the 9650 in a year, I just do not like the screen/size/camera on this 8530 after using a Bold. So any advice from Tour owners would be greatly appreciated).
    03-31-10 09:00 AM
    a tour is a ten times better built phone then the plastic curve u got there .. yes the tour had issues when it first came out but it is def a solid device now ...
    def trade curve for the tour .. the KB is also so much better on the tour ..
    there is a rumor of the tour2 coming out too with touchpad like curve but no def dates .. and it also has WiFi and a faster processor and more onboard memory to store music and pics, etc ... but in your case u have one more week .. so get the tour and if u have an issue call sprint and have them mail u out a new one .. i never go to the dumb asses at the stores

i had my tour exchanged 4 times .. but am happy now ... was one of the first ones to get when it came out
    03-31-10 09:12 AM
    I went from a 8330 to the 9630 last month, great phone! Running .419 with no issues.

Would hope any trackball issues are fixed by now - I never buy first gen hardware because of the expected glitches. Just gotta get the rev before all of the cost savings come in. Trackpad will probably be the future of BB, I'm sure I will upgrade in a couple years when this one is worn.

I don't use the internet that much on a BB - the screen is way too small to be of any use, that's what my laptop is for.
    03-31-10 09:18 AM
    Love my Tour and no need to upgrade.
    03-31-10 09:18 AM
    I agree, this curve"s build def feels like it should be in a prepaid category- it suffered a two foot drop and the side is bowed out considerably. You really set my fears to rest, thank you. I will be trading it today.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-10 09:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD