Does anyone know if tether app is the best app to use to connect my laptop to the internet through my Storm 9530. Any comments would be great
    02-01-10 07:06 PM
    I have heard great reviews about TetherBerry
    02-01-10 07:26 PM
    If you're with Telus, your plan doesn't cover you for tethering, so the best app would be Tetherberry. I've used that on Telus plenty of times before and it disguises tethered internet usage on your computer as on-device internet usage, so it seems perfect.
    02-01-10 07:28 PM
    My carrier does not allow tethering as well, so can Tetherberry really disguise the usage? Do we need to enter the APN to connect?
    02-01-10 07:38 PM
    I have never used it personally but I know a few people that have it and love it. As long as you dont go overboard with it your carrier will never know.

They even have a trial version for you to try out.
    02-01-10 07:51 PM
    I always love when noobs start new/old threads without searching the forums.

Anyway, in response to the question, I've used tether/tetherberry for almost a year now with Verizon and have used between 7-10gb each month as I'm on the road alot and have never been charged anything.

This app uses the same data that VZW customers anyway, are already paying for "Unlimited" use of, not to mention it's the same data that you would use for streaming "Slacker, Iheart, Pandora, etc.

I would NOT recommend this however if you do NOT have an "Unlimited" data plan.
    02-02-10 05:40 AM
    The concern is if it would incur carrier charge. Until this is verified, I won't try it.
    no extra charges. I have used it since it came out and not once have i gotten charged extra because of it
    02-02-10 06:22 AM
    Tether works very well and is easy to install.
    02-02-10 10:41 AM
    I just started using Tether this week. It's fast and very easy to set up and use.

Excellent app! It's worth every penny.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-10 10:50 AM
    I just started using Tether this week. It's fast and very easy to set up and use.

Excellent app! It's worth every penny.

Same here. Great product.
    02-02-10 08:28 PM
    If you're with Telus, your plan doesn't cover you for tethering, so the best app would be Tetherberry. I've used that on Telus plenty of times before and it disguises tethered internet usage on your computer as on-device internet usage, so it seems perfect.

I've had a Storm 1 on Telus since the end of November and I tried the "IP Modem" feature on the desktop manager to connect my laptop to the net via the BB. I've used it a lot actually and haven't been charged any additional fee.

I've been wondering why people would pay for Tetherberry when you can do it for free via BB desktop manager (I hope I'm talking about the same function here)
    02-02-10 11:26 PM
    I've had a Storm 1 on Telus since the end of November and I tried the "IP Modem" feature on the desktop manager to connect my laptop to the net via the BB. I've used it a lot actually and haven't been charged any additional fee.

I've been wondering why people would pay for Tetherberry when you can do it for free via BB desktop manager (I hope I'm talking about the same function here)
    While Telus may not charge you, Verizon on the other hand does, thus the need for a third party app to tether using your bb data service.
    02-03-10 02:42 PM
    I use use PDAnet it's a good program and works great.
    it goes for $30

02-03-10 03:21 PM
    TetherBerry is the best I've tried, if you don't mind the price.
    02-03-10 05:44 PM
    TetherBerry is the best I've tried, if you don't mind the price.
    But the best part is it's a ONE TIME purchase and not a monthly fee.
    02-06-10 10:10 AM
    I tried the trial version of Tether (old Tetherberry) offered here: Free Trial | Tether 7 day trial linked to your PIN on your BLackberry.

It worked very well. There is a part for the Blackberry (an app that it runs) and a part for your laptop or computer that it runs (either Windows or Mac). You install thema dn then run them both and they talk to each other and stream.

In my case I had lost power at the house and wanted to get my laptop online to continue some remote work to servers at the office. I only had about 2 hours of battery left. After waiting an hour or more trying to get Vzaccess up again I decided to try Tether.

I went to the above URL and downloaded the APP and the Win PC part to the USB card from my Storm.

Then I got on my laptop and installed off the .exe file on the SDcard in the phone using the USB cable to the PC.

Then after the install, I ran the part on the Storm (tether app) and that icon on the desktop of my laptop and they "tethered together" and "it just worked the first time". Took all of 5 minutes or less.

Previously I spend about 8 hours trying to get the VZaccess to work on the Storm with 5.0 and it would not ever work correctly. I kept getting differen errors or it would not find any phone when it scaned etc. I did get it to work a couple times a few weeks ago by using the Dialup #774 modem thing but when I really needed it a week later when the power was out that would not work again for some reason.

And I was already paying the exta $15 a month for the BROADBAND CONNECTION rates at Verizon. Which really was an extra $30.

But the VZaccess would not work, would not configure and was basically a bust. Not to mention that since I was on the BlackBerry Email and Internet plan for $29 they switched me to the Corporat plan for 44.99 plus the $15 so total $60 to get the plan for the VZaccess to work. That amounted to a increase of 30 a month to do this with VZaccess.

But to use Tether it should not be any increase is what I am reading in other posts above. I will see if that is true after a few months I guess....

You can cancel that BroadBand $15 or $30 addon from Verizon and go back to what I was using for $29 which let me do streaming and music and downloads (and Tether is and app that is suppose to be like streaming so it should not coast anything extra).

So I just cancelled the Broadband as it did not work reliably for me with v5.0.0.419 of the OS and the current VZaccess software.

The tether app worked well and allowed my PC to get access to the internet through the blackberry, start a VPN, get Remote desktop up, onnect to my existing putty.exe sessions to my unix servers and run all the normal stuff from that remote desktop. So I got my work done thanks to Tether and the blackberry.
    02-06-10 10:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD