I went into my local T-Mobile store (company store) this afternoon to check out what was new. I have a full upgrade available and wanted to see, aside from the 9700, what T-Mobile had to offer. During my conversation with the sales rep. she said... "we were told that the 8900 is now discontinued within our system... and we only have the dummy display unit and nothing in stock...and, we aren't getting any more into stock". I have an 8900 so not a big deal for me. But it totally makes sense. The 9700 is essentially the same devise sans a little better processor and the track-pad and the new lower level Curve makes no sense if their is a unit just above it with much higher end features. So it would seem the new product set is the 9700 and the
    85XX Curve. The 8900 was a great devise but sadly caught in the middle of RIMs move to the track-pad and the faster processor.

In the end I just looked around and tried to figure out if I want to move to the 9700 or an Android phone. Not sure what to do. The 9700 has so few differences with the 8900 I just don't see the value in moving to it. On the other hand an Android phone has far superior web browsing and media capabilities. I also like the touch screen functionality. Maybe if T-Mobile had the Storm 2 it would make my decision much easier. Oh well.....
    01-31-10 04:17 PM
    NEVER listen or accept what a Sales Rep says as true, or even having a clue what they are talking about!!! Most have absolutely no clue. Not sure how many times I have to say this. T-Mobile has not even discontinued the 8320... now I might be able to see them discontinue the 8320, but not the 8900.
    01-31-10 05:15 PM
    Fatboy, you bring up a good point, however the 8900 isn't even offered on TMO's website any longer.
    01-31-10 09:35 PM
    01-31-10 10:06 PM
    I was reading an artcle either on engadget.com or boygeniusreport.com that said the bb 8910 might be replacing its spot at T-Mobile .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-01-10 12:06 AM
    I thought this was old news. I seem to remember a blog post somewhere 2 or 3 months ago saying the 8900 was gone from their site. Maybe I'm wrong.
    02-01-10 03:49 AM
    I kinda think everyone missed the point. OP is kinda saying that he/she is ready to leave blackberry and try something else.
    02-01-10 04:09 AM
    I kinda think everyone missed the point. OP is kinda saying that he/she is ready to leave blackberry and try something else.
    Not that we missed that part, we just don't care about that

Now what BlackBerrys are available, that's something we can all get interested in
    02-01-10 04:16 AM
    Fatboy, you bring up a good point, however the 8900 isn't even offered on TMO's website any longer.
    And TMO has never run out of devices for a short period of time in the past?!?!?! It will be back soon... if anything the 8320 will be the first to go.
    02-01-10 09:39 AM
    And TMO has never run out of devices for a short period of time in the past?!?!?! It will be back soon... if anything the 8320 will be the first to go.
    Yes they have. And in that case they have the item still on their website with the notation "OUT OF STOCK".
    02-01-10 09:45 AM
    Now this worries me. If my 8900 breaks (god forbid), which phone will they replace mine with??
    02-01-10 10:51 AM
    I don't think the 8900 is going to break, it's an excellent phone. Take a look at phone-wreck.com for a breakdown. If it does, you can still buy and unlocked one at retail or buy a used one and have it unlocked. No biggie.
    02-01-10 11:01 AM
    In the end I just looked around and tried to figure out if I want to move to the 9700 or an Android phone. Not sure what to do. The 9700 has so few differences with the 8900 I just don't see the value in moving to it.
    You don't see the value in 3G, a faster CPU, more memory and a better keyboard?
    02-01-10 11:09 AM
    she said... "we were told that the 8900 is now discontinued within our system... and we only have the dummy display unit and nothing in stock...and, we aren't getting any more into stock".
    The 8900 was a fantastic Blackberry. Loved that device.

RIP 8900.
    02-01-10 12:39 PM
    Tmobile sent me a refurbished 8900 after the speakers blew out. I'm sure they have a stock of refurbished 8900s but not brand new to sell.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-01-10 12:49 PM
    You have been connected to ~Tina P.
    ~Tina P: Hi Timbuck , welcome to T-Mobile live Chat. I�m ~Tina and I will be happy to assist you. Please give me a moment to review your question.
    Timbuck Too: okay
    ~Tina P: My rep id for your reference is 1320340. How are you today, Timbuck?
    Timbuck Too: Fine
    Timbuck Too: Why can I not read about the BlackBery Curve 8900 on your website?
    ~Tina P: Timbuck, I understand that you would like to know why the BlackBerry 8900 is not available on the T-Mobile.com website.
    ~Tina P: I can certainly discuss this with you.
    ~Tina P: Are you currently a T-Mobile customer who want to purchase this phone to use on the account?
    Timbuck Too: No I am not a customer
    ~Tina P: Are you considering becoming a customer?
    Timbuck Too: I was interested in reading about the phone specs and if I liked it - would like to sign up
    Timbuck Too: but I cannot find the phone on your site anymore
    ~Tina P: Please allow me two to three minutes to see why we do not currently have that phone available. Have looked at the other BlackBerry devices that we offer?
    Timbuck Too: yes i have read about the others
    Timbuck Too: i am interested in comparing it to the 8900 and notice you dont have it anymore
    Timbuck Too: is there a new model coming? was the 8900 a bad phone? i just wanna know what's going on before i make a big financial commitment
    ~Tina P: The newest models are the 8520 and the 9700.
    Timbuck Too: why is 8900 gone?
    Timbuck Too: it was there last week
    ~Tina P: lease allow me two to three minutes to see why we do not currently have that phone available
    Timbuck Too: ok
    ~Tina P: Timbuck, I regret that I have not found any information. The only reason that I can think of that the phone is not listed at this time is because we currently do not have any more in stock.
    ~Tina P: If you are interested in purchasing this phone, please proceed to the nearest T-Mobile retail store to see if they have any in stock.
    Timbuck Too: okay this phone cannot be purchased off the interent anymore?
    Timbuck Too: when will you have it in stock?
    ~Tina P: Not at this time.
    ~Tina P: I regret that I do not know when or if we will be getting any more.
    Timbuck Too: thank you
    Timbuck Too: goodbye
    ~Tina P: Timbuck, thank you for contacting T-Mobile Chat, have a great day!
    ~Tina P: If there is nothing else I will be ending our session now.
    Thank you for using our online help. You may now close this window.
    Your session has ended. You may now close this window.
    02-01-10 01:56 PM
    You don't see the value in 3G, a faster CPU, more memory and a better keyboard?
    I guess after 10 years of using RIM devises... yes even pre-phone models, I am ready to try something else.

I understand 3G vs. EDGE... but in my area EDGE actually works very well. I think what I am most disapointed in is the fact that they are using the same exact screen as the 8900... I was hoping the 9700 would have a larger screen for a better web experience. But then again, these are not consumer oriented devises, they are business oriented devises. As far as the keyboard goes, my personal opinion is that the 8900 has the best keyboard I have used to date on a RIM devise. And that includes the 9000 that I had from my company on AT&T. The 8900 is (was) a great devise... just bad timing and now a lame duck.

I just don't see where consumers are going to throw their 8900s in the drawer for a 9700. For the average Blackberry business user... their is not enough difference to make a difference.

And yes... the 8900 is sadly discontinued at T-Mobile.. done, over. And no, the stores won't be getting any more in stock for those who claim they will. It had a great run, but has been kicked out the door by the 9700.
    02-01-10 08:27 PM
    I
    I understand 3G vs. EDGE... but in my area EDGE actually works very well. I think what I am most disapointed in is the fact that they are using the same exact screen as the 8900... I was hoping the 9700 would have a larger screen for a better web experience.
    It would be hard to put a larger screen on the 9700 and maintain the compact form factor. Adding more resolution to a screen that size seems pointless. Anyone over 40 would need reading glasses to see additional detail. A Storm with the same pixel density as the 9700 would be interesting though.

However, what is really needed for a better web experience is better browser software and 3G. the 9700 at least has the 3G.

BTW I paid $50 for my 9700. With those kind of prices, who would buy an 8900?
    Last edited by ADGrant; 02-02-10 at 11:12 AM.
    02-02-10 11:10 AM
    I'd pick an 8900 over a 9700 any day.
    02-02-10 12:07 PM
    I'd pick an 8900 over a 9700 any day.
    I loved my 8900. I was sad when I said goodbye to it.

The 9700 does offer a trackpad which I did not think I would come to love as much as I have. Without a doubt, the trackpad is far superior to the trackball.

The 5.0 OS also offers Visual Voicemail which I also love. I do not care for the threaded sms (actually I hate it to be honest) but those features are available in the 8900 if a user upgrades to the 5.0 OS.

The 8900 was/is one of BlackBerry's finest devices.
    02-02-10 01:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD