It was said to be virtually impossible to do, so I gave it a try and it was a success. I've documented how to do so in my blog.

How To Replace Your Blackberry Bold 9000 Lens: Yes, It's Possible AND Easy!

You'll need the replacement lens for sure. The other items should be pretty basic items that every household has.

No need to spend all that money on a new lcd with the lens already attached when you have one that functions perfectly fine. With some patience and care anyone can do this.

Now lets get all our bolds back to "BRAND NEW" condition without breaking the bank. Looks exactly how it was back when it first got it.

Post up success stories and I'll reply back to this thread or on my blog if anything has any further questions. It's pretty straight forward. If I do it, so can you! good luck!
    01-30-10 07:35 PM
    Great blog! I actually searched up how to do this when I was looking at buying a pink lens for my phone and was trying to figure out how to replace it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-10 07:52 PM
    My solution is a Zagg Invisible Shield. Good to know it can be done in case mine cracks for some reason.

01-30-10 08:10 PM
    Thanks man! Great post
    +1

01-30-10 08:18 PM
    Very nice to know that there is a success. Always wondered about that. Good job.

01-30-10 11:55 PM
    can we add.. use a creamy peanut butter? i cant wait for someone to use a super chunky one and ended up screwing things up more...
    01-31-10 01:59 AM
    Since now the two surfaces are not glued together:
    Is there any noticeable difference in the image? (sharpness, color, viewing angle)
    How about sturdiness? If you put pressure on the lens can you tell that the screen is separate from the lens, is there a potential for scratching, etc?
    Thanks for making the page.
    02-01-10 04:21 AM
    Thank you, that's very helpful info. Mine is a mess and since I'm about to sell it, I need to make it look good. So yeah, much appreciated.
    02-01-10 05:47 AM
    Nice tutorial. Will help many that don't want to drop $30 on a new LCD.
    02-01-10 09:56 AM
    AWESOME!!!! I just posted in another forum about this issue! I bought a new pink lens without researching how hard it was to change! I didn't even attempt it one I read the problems everyone was having! Now I'm going to give a try! Thanks kobewoods!!
    +1
    02-01-10 12:41 PM
    mikecza, you might notice it slightly if the screen is turned off and you're looking for it. when the screen is on everything is perfect and you won't notice it. just takes a little time and patience and depends on how picky you are. i'm pretty picky and ocd about my belongings and i'm fine with it, so i'm sure 99% of the people out there will feel the same way.

np pretty.in.pinkk, glad i can help the crackberry family here as they've helped me out plenty in the past.
    02-01-10 12:43 PM
    Thank you kobewoods!

I dropped mine on asphalt and a stone put a chip mark in the lens above the visible screen. Cost was too much to replace the lcd. I may give this a try.
    02-01-10 02:12 PM
    did you ever have any problems? i tried this slightly with the guitar pick i had at the time and i saw what i thought was some minor cracking. i was afraid to continue but the screen always seemed fine after.
    02-01-10 03:38 PM
    ast32, if you are gentle with it you may think its cracking, but it is actually the glue compound that was used breaking up and clumping.
    02-01-10 04:51 PM
    Impressive. I believe that I will give it a try. I think I will pick up a spare first; then attempt to install my Blue-framed screen cover on the original LCD. My sincere thanks.
    02-01-10 08:18 PM
    Very helpful thank you!
    02-02-10 09:40 PM
    great blog. The only par I am not sure about is the two sided tape step. Where exactly do I put it?
    02-08-10 09:23 PM
    can we add.. use a creamy peanut butter? i cant wait for someone to use a super chunky one and ended up screwing things up more...
    lol i can see someone smearing a peanut across their screen and complaining it 'doesnt work!!'
    02-24-10 12:59 PM
    Just curious, what kind of double stick tape did you use?
    03-01-10 10:41 AM
    I'm also curious to know if anyone has tried using a heat gun (on a light setting) to pry of the lens? I did it on a broken lcd just for fun and I was able to pry it off very easily, but I have no idea if it would damage the lcd.
    03-01-10 01:49 PM
    I'm also curious to know if anyone has tried using a heat gun (on a light setting) to pry of the lens? I did it on a broken lcd just for fun and I was able to pry it off very easily, but I have no idea if it would damage the lcd.
    I wouldn't point a heat gun at an lcd I planned on using again, but a hair dryer probably wouldn't do any damage if you're careful.
    03-02-10 01:16 AM
    Just curious, what kind of double stick tape did you use?
    I also was wondering what kind of double sided tape you would recommend.
    03-21-10 12:57 PM
    thanks a lot! i am about to order a chrome gold housing and attempt this, im willing to post pictures if anyones interested!
    03-28-10 01:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD