So Role Call Tasks just released an update that makes it 10x better in my opinion. It does several things differently and gives users a whole lot more control over their tasks list. A few weeks ago I wrote a review here where I criticized some of its features, but most of those have been improved by the update.

First, it no longer makes you put your tasks into categories. If you lump all your tasks together, as I do, you can simply hit "R" from the home screen to launch the app (if you have dial-from-homescreen turned off) and RCT will instantly bring up your entire to-do list. Perfect. You can still categorize your tasks, but I don't, and this now means that with one button press all my tasks with their due dates (if any) are right there for me to see.

Also, RCT has made it so you can increase the font size of the due date so that's it's very readable now, but still fits on the screen.

One thing that pleases me greatly is now you can set an option so that clicking the trackball edits the entry rather than marking it as finished. Space bar will still mark it finished. This is great if you regularly change due-dates on tasks as I do.

Adding a task is simple, from the main screen you just start typing and it begins entering the text in the "new task" text entry area.

In the sort-by-date view, you can now hide the day bars so that only the tasks themselves show with their due-dates. That means if you have a task set for a week from now, it's no longer down off the bottom of the screen, hidden by 7 days of no activity listed above it. You can specify the number of days ahead and behind that you want RCT to list tasks for. Oddly, though, when the day-bars are turned off in the sort-by-date view, it sorts tasks alphabetically rather than by date. I hope this will be corrected in a future update.

So with a minor glitch or two, the update is very good, IMHO, and makes RCT a solid contender for those who need a 3rd party BB tasks app. Definitely worth the price.
    Last edited by Furballz; 01-25-10 at 02:37 AM.
    01-25-10 02:20 AM
    got the update today. Still have to download it. Great to know that it is improved
    01-25-10 09:01 AM
    Like the app as well.
    01-25-10 09:04 AM
    I tried to download it and got an error. Do I have to delete the old version first?
    01-26-10 07:05 AM
    Hi Terradactyl,

We are so sorry that you received an error when downloading. Please delete your old version of Role Call prior to downloading the new version. I apologize for the delay in obtaining the update. Also, please go back into your account to retrieve the link if you are downloading 1.0.6.1, as the first posting had a bug that dealt with the cut and paste shortcuts, as well as typos. The correct version 1.0.6.1 should read "Type here to enter new task', not "Touch here to enter new task".

Thanks in advance for all your patience,
    Jill
    Last edited by Blue Sky Analytics; 01-26-10 at 09:02 AM.
    01-26-10 08:40 AM
    I assume this isn't for the 8330 Curve?
    01-26-10 08:47 AM
    Thank you so much Furballz!!

We are very excited about the new update and have the Crackberry Community to thank for it! Thanks for all of your feedback!

Here are some of the new features we added to version 1.0.6/1.0.6.1:
    1) Delete a category from the Role Call menu.
    2) Automatic deletion of a reminder when a task is marked as completed.
    3) Ability to change the font size for task details.
    4) Ability to add notes if entering through the Entry box on the bottom of a category - Try opening a category and typing "This is a task name. This is task Notes." Everything after the first period goes to the notes section.
    5) Ability to choose a category from a dropdown list when "copying tasks to a new category".
    6) The "-" button will cut a task and the "+" button will paste.
    7) The application remembers which category you were on when switching from Category to Date screens/restarting Role Call. For instance select "Personal" in the "Tasks By Date" screen. Press your BlackBerry(menu) button twice to bring up "Tasks By Category." You will see that "Personal" is still selected. If you exit the App and restart, you will see that "Personal" is still selected.

For those currently with version 1.0.5.2, please know that we are still working on the update for your phone and we hope to have it posted in the near future.

Thanks again and as always, we always appreciate feedback,
    Jill
    Last edited by Blue Sky Analytics; 01-26-10 at 09:01 AM.
    01-26-10 08:48 AM
    Unfortunately, we posted the original 1.0.6.1 prematurely and the cut and paste feature shortcuts were buggy as well as having some typos. The version was only out there for a few hours, but please confirm that you have the correct 1.0.6.1 version by going to the task entry box. It should read "Type Here to Enter New Task", not "Touch Here to Enter New Task". If you have the old 1.0.6.1, please delete and retrieve the latest link from logging into your account. We profusely apologize for letting this out and then reposting. Please accept our apologies for this mistake.

Thanks again and as always, we always appreciate feedback,
    Jill
    Last edited by Blue Sky Analytics; 01-26-10 at 08:59 AM.
    01-26-10 08:54 AM
    Dear Mr Blue Sky (haha),

I am wondering why there isn't a free trial for the full version of Roll Call. I am reticent to buy an app without trying its full functionality first. If I do decide to purchase the new version, can I get a refund within a specific time period?

Thanks in advance
    01-26-10 08:59 AM
    Hi Awryter,

Gotta love ELO! PM sent.

Thanks,
    Jill
    01-26-10 11:40 AM
    The revised update also corrects the alphabetical sorting in the sort-by-date list.

4) Ability to add notes if entering through the Entry box on the bottom of a category - Try opening a category and typing "This is a task name. This is task Notes." Everything after the first period goes to the notes section.
    Very cool.
    Last edited by Furballz; 01-26-10 at 02:31 PM.
    01-26-10 02:28 PM
    I must be missing something. App store only has 1.0.6 for me to download, and it still says "touch here", not "type here".

I have tried deleting and re installing.
    Last edited by jiggyb; 01-28-10 at 06:29 AM.
    01-28-10 06:22 AM
    Dear jiggyb,

I apologize for the confusion, the typos were only in version 1.0.6.1 which is for only trackball/pad phones. Version 1.0.6(only Storm phones) never had any problems when it was published. On the Storm you should always see "Touch Here" rather than "Type Here". You have the correct version for your Storm.

So sorry about the confusion,
    Jill
    Last edited by Blue Sky Analytics; 01-31-10 at 09:02 AM.
    01-31-10 08:56 AM
    For Wuzz Ranger, I just download the update for my Curve 8330 running os 4.5; if you're using 5.0, I don't see why it shouldn't work.

I've been using this app for about a month, and have found it invalauble. The first thing I do once i get to work is fire up this app, and it stays open sitting on my desk until everything's checked off. I particularly like the option to move uncompleted tasks to today, rather than changing the due date everytime I miss a deadline.

The new option to add details and a due date to a task in the 'type here to enter task' field is incredible. I have a very busy job, and normally put in my tasks on the go; I used to have to go back and edit everything when I had the time, but now I can get it all done at once--this will make the app even more productive. One tiny point to perhaps consider...I have a preference for the 24 hour clock, but typing in 1300 as opposed to 1:00 PM doesn't work. But hey, maybe there's no market for that kind of option.

And by the way, Blue Sky offers probably the best customer service and response time that I've seen in a BB developer. Keep up the great work!
    02-01-10 01:02 PM
    missed the update.

gonna have to grab this now.
    02-01-10 01:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD