I'm looking for opinions on cases for the 8530. Currently I have a black Epik case on mine, and while I absolutely love it I do prefer the feel of just my Blackberry. The Epik case adds the same amount of bulk as a silicone case.

These are the cases I was interested in from the Crackberry store:
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=7O20uwgm

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=SR7Lc6Zx

However, looking at pictures, neither of these cases seem to cover the bottom edge of the phone. And I don't know about anyone else, but when I drop my phones (and thankfully I haven't dropped this one yet! *knock on wood*) it's always that bottom part or the top part that get chipped.

Does anyone have any recommendations/comments on cases they use and like and how much actual bulk they do or don't add?
    01-24-10 04:04 PM
    Those are some nice looking cases, like you said it doesn't cover the bottom. Currently I'm using a cover made by body glove, and it is a little bit bulky.
    01-24-10 04:38 PM
    I usually order cases online, but I've actually been very happy with the case I bought at the Sprint store (they were selling accessories for 25% off).

Sprint - All Accessories

I like this style because it feels kind of halfway between silicone and a hard case -- it's a strong rubberized sort of texture, so it feels strong but still has some bend and doesn't add a lot of bulk. The black base covers the sides and the changeable color plate (comes with 4 colors) covers the back, top, and bottom (bottom and top edges are totally covered!). I bought the 'base' colors but it comes in 'fun' colors too (pink, green, orange, etc.).

It was $24.99 minus 25% so it was around $18.75, but you can probably find it cheaper online somewhere if you like it.
    01-24-10 05:07 PM
    Have a look at this one:
    Hard Shell Skinnies for Blackberry Curve 8520 - Black: ExtremePDA
    Looks similar to the case-mate and the one from seidio, but the corners cover more than the casemate... if you drop it, bottom wont touch ground, but corners will impact first..
    01-24-10 05:48 PM
    I have this one and I like it. Very secure holster, but like the OP, it doesn't protect the bottom of the phone much. But, since the holster isn't a clip/flip out, I find I'm not flinging it into space while unclipping it like I was with my previous holster.

Sprint - All Accessories
    01-24-10 06:00 PM
    I have this one and I like it. Very secure holster, but like the OP, it doesn't protect the bottom of the phone much. But, since the holster isn't a clip/flip out, I find I'm not flinging it into space while unclipping it like I was with my previous holster.

Sprint - All Accessories
    I like the looks. How's the clip holding out? I find myself breaking clips off my belt quite often.
    01-24-10 06:06 PM
    Have a look at this one:
    Hard Shell Skinnies for Blackberry Curve 8520 - Black: ExtremePDA
    Looks similar to the case-mate and the one from seidio, but the corners cover more than the casemate... if you drop it, bottom wont touch ground, but corners will impact first..
    That one looks really nice! My big thing is that I need it to cover the BOTTOM of the phone. That one does a better job than the ones in the Crackberry store.

Do you know if they carry that one in particular at the Sprint stores? The more I can avoid in shipping costs the better!
    01-24-10 06:56 PM
    I don't know...Canada here.... no sprint, and our cell providers have on the minimum of cases...

Shipping was quite cheap for me to Canada, so I can't imagine its that much for you...
    01-24-10 07:12 PM
    I don't know...Canada here.... no sprint, and our cell providers have on the minimum of cases...

Shipping was quite cheap for me to Canada, so I can't imagine its that much for you...
    Oops! I think I tried replying to two posts at once. One of the ones with cases from the Sprint store, and your link!
    01-24-10 07:16 PM
    The problem with the snap on cases, is that they will scratch the phone. I had some experience with the incipio feather and also the Seidio innocases and they scratched the chrome trim of my Tour. I think Epik cases are the best option. THough they add bulk, they protect the outer edges of the phone 24/7. You could also carry the phone in a BB pouch or holster. But taking the phone out to use the phone everytime became cumbersome.
    01-24-10 07:21 PM
    The problem with the snap on cases, is that they will scratch the phone. I had some experience with the incipio feather and also the Seidio innocases and they scratched the chrome trim of my Tour. I think Epik cases are the best option. THough they add bulk, they protect the outer edges of the phone 24/7. You could also carry the phone in a BB pouch or holster. But taking the phone out to use the phone everytime became cumbersome.
    I've thought about pouches. Scrapped the idea pretty quick though since I never seem to drop my phones while they are in the pouch. And I handle my phone WAY too much. haha. I'm one of those people that always has the phone in my hands. (More so because I hate to carry a purse, and when I do, its so cluttered that I lose my phone in it!)

Thanks for letting me know about the scratching possibility. Other than that did you like the incipio?
    01-24-10 07:29 PM
    the incipio was nice but the rubbery material coating tends to come off over time. im not sure how much drop protection you will get either =(
    01-24-10 07:32 PM
    That one looks really nice! My big thing is that I need it to cover the BOTTOM of the phone. That one does a better job than the ones in the Crackberry store.

Do you know if they carry that one in particular at the Sprint stores? The more I can avoid in shipping costs the better!
    I think where problems arise is the bottom of the phone contains your microphone also. And some cases for the 8350i that were rugged but covered the bottom had reports of causing echos and other problems with conversations.
    It's why I think most companies shy away from it.
    As far as my holster, it's going great. The clip is never really messed with, you slide the phone (in shell) in and out of the holster. It's tight, but I suspect it'll wear a bit and loosen. The fact that it's held top and bottom is what I like, no more feeling that 'clip' just as you realize your phone released itself... and not in time to catch it.
    01-24-10 08:08 PM
    I really want the hybrid case from case-mate, that thing looks soo nice.
    01-24-10 08:58 PM
    it's not the prettiest case, but the hard snap-on body glove case worked great on my 8330, i'm thinking about picking one up for my 8530. definitely made the phone bomb proof, i'm a little rough on them.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=213yYpV9
    01-24-10 10:25 PM
    Otterbox Commuter is a great case.
    01-25-10 09:08 AM
    Regarding the leather/chrome case from Sprint linked in post #5 by Heckufaguy:

I like the looks. How's the clip holding out? I find myself breaking clips off my belt quite often.
    After a pretty extensive search I settled on this same case from a local sprint store. If you have Sprint's premier status you can get 25% off accessories anytime.

The clip is secure on a belt and hasn't busted off mine yet. It's a loop type connection at the belt which flexes enough to get onto the belt but it's a bugger to get off (like a fish hook barb, it's tapered one way and a hurdle the other). They claim it's a standard type of quick connect, so if it breaks it should be easy to replace the clip. the stud has an eight position ratchet so you can rotate the clip to a variety of positions.

Overall the case adds some class to the phone that many have complained seems to be missing when compared to the tour. The cutouts are large enough for connectors and I think they also improve grip while holding and especially when inserting/removing it from the holster. I haven't had any issues removing the case to get to the battery or media card and the lack of top or bottom coverage seems to be a benefit as it keeps my fingers off the screen when attempting it. Attached to the phone the fit is snug and when inserted in the holster it feels pretty secure. btw, it also has the sleeper function when holstered.

It's a nice case.
    Last edited by Willamette; 01-25-10 at 03:27 PM.
    01-25-10 03:25 PM
    This is the one I got from Verizon. It is leather wrapped plastic that covers all droppable parts, and unfortunatly has been tested already.
    Enter your location
    click on the black button under pick colors to see images
    01-25-10 04:11 PM
    Thanks Willamette. I just called a local sprint store to see if they had that part number. Boy, did I throw them for a loop asking for something by part number and me being a verizon customer. Yes I'll be on my way to pick it up.
    01-25-10 05:09 PM
    I went with the factory Blackberry aftermarket case and InvisiShield. Great protection and ez to keep clean.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-10 05:26 PM
    Otterbox Commuter is a great case.
    I second that.. I LOVE this case!!! and for $35 you can't beat it
    01-25-10 06:46 PM
    Otterbox Impact for about $15 shipped is a pretty good buy.

If it wasn't that, I'd probably get an epik resin case, since they're even cheaper.
    01-25-10 06:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD