Hey all, new member! This is my first blackberry, I went into this sort of blind but I am pretty good with electronics. I absolutely love this phone it is awesome! I am curious about how I can improve the battery life. I already have turned off Wi-Fi, and turned the screen backlight down to 10. I unplugged my phone at 6pm EST and it is now 345 am EST and I have a battery charge of 25%. How do I improve that? At that rate I will have to charge once a day... That is way too much...

Thanks for your help, I greatly appreciate it!

-Scuba
    01-24-10 02:41 AM
    01-24-10 02:49 AM
    At that rate I will have to charge once a day...
    Welcome to the wonderful world of today's smartphones. Charging once a day isn't all that bad comparatively speaking. Especially if it's a brand new device and you're playin with it all day.

Is your bluetooth turned off? People who always have that BT in their ear even when they're in situations that don't warrant a need to be hands free always seem to have the worst battery life.
    01-24-10 02:50 AM
    Check out this post. Yesterday I got 6 hours out of my battery this 3G/1XEV issue has a lot to do with it I think.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f145/be...tic-3g-410561/
    01-24-10 02:56 AM
    It is helpful to mention what background programs you have running? Yacta (15 mins update) and a GPS tracker (15 mins update) did a beating on my battery. If you have some twitter client checking every 5 minutes its a drain.
    01-24-10 03:02 AM
    Yeah. Battery life isn't great. Yesterday I barely touched my phone and I was at 50% at the end of the day. That's NOT touching it for more than 10-15 minutes total. AND it's in GPRS mode AND no wifi or gps or bt.

This phone is awesome, but battery life wise, no way. :P.
    01-24-10 03:11 AM
    welcome to crackberry friend and the storm 2 train
    01-24-10 03:42 AM
    Options > Mobile Network > Change network technology from Global to 1XEV

This is by far the biggest battery saver for me.
    01-24-10 04:48 AM
    the IMer apps are a big consumer of battery power. If they are not being used, I recommend you shut them down. That saved me a lot of juice whereas once I used to have all messengers (aim, yahoo, MSN, gtalk), twitter, viigo, berryweather, ap news, etc etc all updating at the same time every 15 min. Thats why my battery went from 100% in the moring to 50% by lunch time without any talk time.

Since keeping them closed and using them only when I need them, I have improved battery power by at least 30%
    01-24-10 07:06 AM
    Your battery will last a little longer when the novelty wears off some. But rmjones is right - once a day is standard for anything more than light use. The first day I go my storm two I was down to 30% after three hours. Also, they say that you have to go through at least three or four charge cycles until the battery is "optimized." Not sure if that is true or not. And one thing that you should always do is pull the battery after deleting applications. Best of luck!
    01-24-10 07:11 AM
    Guys 1 day battery life its quite good for smartphones in medium/heavy use. Just try some androids and you will enjoy ur Storm battery life.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-10 07:23 AM
    I loaded up the new Berryweather public beta ver 2.1 to day morning. It's 8 pm now, and my battery which was usually near 50% is now at 70%. Berryweather is set to update every 1 hr.
    01-24-10 08:26 AM
    I loaded up the new Berryweather public beta ver 2.1 to day morning. It's 8 pm now, and my battery which was usually near 50% is now at 70%. Berryweather is set to update every 1 hr.
    I am off to try that. I have an extended battery and should be getting more so hope this helps
    01-24-10 09:54 AM
    Options > Mobile Network > Change network technology from Global to 1XEV

This is by far the biggest battery saver for me.
    +1 for the fix
    01-24-10 10:09 AM
    Ok, thanks for all the help and suggestions guy! I do my best not to have any apps running other than the gmail app. I mainly am going to use the phone for texting and gmail. I do have a couple games but I make sure that theyre closed when Im done with them. I have that flickster movies app, but its always closed when Im not using it, and same with the ScoreMobile app.

I have switch to the 1XEV, turned the screen backlight down to 10 and wifi and bluetooth are off; so we will see today how that helps...

I think the only thing I haven't done is this hybrid idea, of which I dont fully understand all the ramifications yet.

Also, those of you on Verizon can you tell me about the GPS? My buddy has had a BB Pearl for awhile and tells me the GPS comes with the 30 dollar data package. Is this true? How do you get it to work? Do you open up the VZ Navigator? I was under the impression that if you open up the VZ Navigator its going to cost you like 8 bucks a month...

Thanks for all your help!
    01-24-10 11:00 AM
    +1 for the fix
    +2 for the fix. This should havr been set from Verizon:

01-24-10 11:14 AM
    +2 for the fix. This should havr been set from Verizon:

Indeed. It took 3 days of BIG battery drains after I upgraded to realize I had forgotten to switch that.

Scoobah: I would not pay the $10 for VZNav. The Storm 2 has a built in gps. So grab yourself a copy of GoogleMaps at m.google.com/maps. Then switch on your gps from options/advanced options/gps. Switch GPS Services fom E911 only to Location on. Also, location aiding helps it track you quicker, i believe.
    The hybrids are good. I did't have much luck with the last one, so I switched back to .428. But I would try it. The worst that could happen is you would have to wipe your phone and reinstall a different software. Just remember to back up your phone
    01-24-10 11:43 AM
    Indeed. It took 3 days of BIG battery drains after I upgraded to realize I had forgotten to switch that.

Scoobah: I would not pay the $10 for VZNav. The Storm 2 has a built in gps. So grab yourself a copy of GoogleMaps at m.google.com/maps. Then switch on your gps from options/advanced options/gps. Switch GPS Services fom E911 only to Location on. Also, location aiding helps it track you quicker, i believe.
    The hybrids are good. I did't have much luck with the last one, so I switched back to .428. But I would try it. The worst that could happen is you would have to wipe your phone and reinstall a different software. Just remember to back up your phone
    Awesome thanks! I thought that my buddy was right, I just needed to change that option!

How do you install the hybrids? I looked but I didnt see much of a howto, though I didn't look real hard...
    01-24-10 12:30 PM
    01-24-10 02:04 PM
    I disabled GPS, closed Uber Twitter, close Windows Live messenger, closed Viigo, put screen brightness to 20%, do make sure all apps are closed when I dome with them.

After 6 hours I'm still on 97%!!!

Decided to open the apps when I need them which makes a huge difference. Normally I'm on 50% or less after 6 hours.
    01-24-10 02:19 PM
    Every time you upgrade the OS, it switches mobile network back to global.
    01-24-10 04:48 PM
    8 hours running with some medium use and still 83%...
    01-24-10 05:14 PM
    after the .451 upload my battery just went down half a bar within 10min after a full charge, and i didnt even use the thing. i give up on the battery life
    01-24-10 05:58 PM
    After 11 hours after reconfigure still 81% battery life left!!!

Well I can state with great confident that the "tweaks" I made (suggested by other users) are making a tremendous difference.
    01-24-10 07:23 PM
    I thought I was doing better all day yesterday, but the battery discharged all night without being plugged in... I guess Ill have to get a charger for my girlfriends house too so I dont have to carry my charger back and forth...
    01-25-10 09:04 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD