It there really any difference anyway in the US? ...1XEV I should have said.
    Last edited by Bettermost; 01-24-10 at 03:50 AM.
    01-23-10 08:52 PM
    There is a difference, in speed and battery life. Obviously, 1X is going to save you a ton on battery life, but you take a dip in speed as a result. Not only is there the speed drop, you're going to have issues with BBM and apps that require any kind of data streaming.

3G does eat up battery life (depending on who you talk to), but most people would rather have less significant battery life for increased speed. Someone like myself that streams music on Pandora, browses the web frequently, and while doing so sends text messages and communicates via BBM, 3G HAS to be on.
    01-23-10 11:44 PM
    There is a difference, in speed and battery life. Obviously, 1X is going to save you a ton on battery life, but you take a dip in speed as a result. Not only is there the speed drop, you're going to have issues with BBM and apps that require any kind of data streaming.

3G does eat up battery life (depending on who you talk to), but most people would rather have less significant battery life for increased speed. Someone like myself that streams music on Pandora, browses the web frequently, and while doing so sends text messages and communicates via BBM, 3G HAS to be on.
    I dont believe this is true.. You can do all that stuff on 1X it will just be extremely slow.
    01-24-10 12:11 AM
    Pretty sure 3G and 1XEV are the same and all you get in the states. Automatic or "Global" is for over seas. As long as your in the US keep the 3G.
    01-24-10 12:28 AM
    Pretty sure 3G and 1XEV are the same and all you get in the states. Automatic or "Global" is for over seas. As long as your in the US keep the 3G.
    you are right 3G=1XEV but i think 1X is slower isn't it?
    01-24-10 12:51 AM
    1X is slower according to the manual....which you all show look as this is covered in detail
    01-24-10 12:55 AM
    The way I remember it...

1XEV is 3G with all the speed 3G has to offer.

1xev (note the lower case) is slow because it has Voice signal, but 3G data signal is degraded and is trying to connect so is currently using 2G.

1X is Voice and 2G only (no 3G signal detected).

I think the setting the OP is looking at is where you determine whether you're using the device on CDMA (1XEV), GSM, or Global (Automatic). All global does is automatically detect the best signal to use. Since he's in the US and using Verizon, setting it to 1XEV or Automatic (my option shows global <shrug>) won't make a bit of difference except in one specific case. If you go someplace without any signal of any kind, and you have it set to automatic, then the phone will constantly search for both GSM and CDMA networks and will drain the battery rapidly. If it's set to 1XEV it will consume much less power waiting for a data signal to let the device know it can connect (no juice is used to look for GSM).
    Last edited by rmjones101; 01-24-10 at 01:42 AM.
    01-24-10 01:38 AM
    This is what I thought also because Storm 1 never had a 3G(Global) setting at all.
    Last edited by Bettermost; 01-24-10 at 02:47 AM.
    01-24-10 02:40 AM
    The way I remember it...

1XEV is 3G with all the speed 3G has to offer.

1xev (note the lower case) is slow because it has Voice signal, but 3G data signal is degraded and is trying to connect so is currently using 2G.

1X is Voice and 2G only (no 3G signal detected).

I think the setting the OP is looking at is where you determine whether you're using the device on CDMA (1XEV), GSM, or Global (Automatic). All global does is automatically detect the best signal to use. Since he's in the US and using Verizon, setting it to 1XEV or Automatic (my option shows global <shrug>) won't make a bit of difference except in one specific case. If you go someplace without any signal of any kind, and you have it set to automatic, then the phone will constantly search for both GSM and CDMA networks and will drain the battery rapidly. If it's set to 1XEV it will consume much less power waiting for a data signal to let the device know it can connect (no juice is used to look for GSM).
    Exactly what I was asking. Yesterday I was in a fringe area in Indiana, The phone kept switching between the different positions so much that it killed my battery in just 6 hours. I think if the Global setting is turned off in the states it wont matter much at all but will keep the phone from flip flopping and waisting needless battery energy.
    01-24-10 02:47 AM
    ding ding ding hes right
    01-24-10 03:44 AM
    I think if the Global setting is turned off in the states it wont matter much at all but will keep the phone from flip flopping and waisting needless battery energy.

100% right on that one.
    01-24-10 07:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD