Seriously it can't be that hard to certify a release candidate!!!

I mean damn the 8330?!?!? And on boost mobile?!?!? I didn't even know they had bis available!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-10 07:37 AM
    Yes this info has been out for months and the commercials have been on tv but yes its crazy there the first to release official on 8330

01-23-10 09:05 AM
    lol. i do wonder how the qualify who recieves the releases at what ever time. im glad for all boost users, but all the same masses of att tmobile sprint and verizon costumers would feel very happy if 5.0 would have been released as well. we can only hope sooner than later it will be released.
    01-23-10 09:09 AM
    i'm thinking another 4+ months before we get any official os from at&t. Most likely a few months before most of us can do our upgrades imo. Let's face it, if we are able to do upgrades, do u think many of us will keep our bold (as our main device) even if it have 5.0? We will be so hype about getting our new phones that getting any official os from at&t wouldnt really matter.

That being said....this Sweden/Denmark 5.0 os is treating my Bold substantially well.
    01-23-10 10:58 AM
    Honestly stop complaining. Use to official OS from Bell.
    01-23-10 11:15 AM
    Honestly stop complaining. Use to official OS from Bell.
    How is the Bell OS treating u? I didnt like the Bell OS that much, with the Sweden/Denmark..it gave me an extra 5mb, and i got less of those random reboots
    01-23-10 11:51 AM
    How is the Bell OS treating u? I didnt like the Bell OS that much, with the Sweden/Denmark..it gave me an extra 5mb, and i got less of those random reboots
    Exactly my point that not all OS's are the same, even with the same version number. Always best to wait for the official release from YOUR carrier.
    01-23-10 12:49 PM
    LOL here we go again
    The 9000 will be forgotten soon sadly
    to say, especially since I LOVE it, but
    I don't think any ATT release will be out
    anytime soon.

Plus, most of us are waiting for the Bold 3
    01-23-10 01:03 PM
    Exactly my point that not all OS's are the same, even with the same version number. Always best to wait for the official release from YOUR carrier.
    You have no idea what you're talking about. Seriously, it's idoiots like you that keep other people floading these forums with the same questions. There is NO DIFFERENCE in the OS. NONE WHATSOEVER... aside from the carrier specific tweaks. The ONLY things carriers do when they release an OS is modify the specific parts that pertain to their mobile network, and take away what they would normally charge you for. THAT'S IT, PERIOD. Maybe I'm missing some stuff, but they DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING IN THE CORE SYSTEM. They have no way of changing stuff that affects memory, stability, or functionality. The majority of the problems people experience can largely be contributed to their own habits. If you're the kind of person that like to install every app that comes out and you don't close them right and never reset your phone, then you're going to experience some problems. But instead of confronting your own deficiencies, you'd rather come here and bash the OS as if you knew what you're talking about.

Do us all a favor and stop claiming that this OS is better than that OS. For every post you people make claiming that the east asia version is more stable than the bell mobility version, or that OS 5.0 won't be perfect until AT&T releases an "official" version, there with be 3 new threads of people asking which OS version they should trust. Just zip it already.
    01-23-10 03:01 PM
    lol. i do wonder how the qualify who recieves the releases at what ever time. im glad for all boost users, but all the same masses of att tmobile sprint and verizon costumers would feel very happy if 5.0 would have been released as well. we can only hope sooner than later it will be released.
    Think about the tech market place. Most of the devices made in this day and age aren't meant to last for very long. The trend is that consumers want new and shiny, and that's where that most profit comes from. AT&T is not stupid, or they wouldn't be where they are today. You can be sure that of all the factors that drive the adaptation and subsequent release of new operating systems, money is by far the most important. They offer yearly upgrades for a reason. They discount phones with contracts signatures for a reason. They would rather have you use your phone for 8 months, then start drooling over all the new devices and their new features. Come by your local reatailer and see all the things the new phones can do that your phone can't do. come on in, play with them, we'll even give you a discount. Look how shiny and new it is. you know you want it. C'mon, are you guys really surprised that AT&T isn't exactly eager to keep the device you own working as good as all the new toys? You've already bought all the accessories, the cases, the bluetooth, the skins, the apps. Besides your monthly bill they have only 1 way to get more money from you, and that's to sell you more stuff. How can they get you to junk your 9000 for a 9700 if there's nothing flashy to intice you. Not to mention the fact that providing us with an official 5.0 OS costs them a lot of money. They have to test it, and test it, and have discussion panels, and engineers adapt it to the network, and blah blah blah.

But there's good news. Since we are all highly evolved, intelligent creatures (most of us), we are able to MAKE UP OUR OWN DAMN MINDS AND TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY FOR OUR OWN HAPPINESS. The thing you want most, the thing that you pine for, and gush over, and watch and wait for everyday... is right in front of you.

Reach down deep, and take hold of your own happiness.
    01-23-10 03:22 PM
    I thought I remembered reading somewhere on here that all the carriers have OS 5 but it is up to them when they want to release it. It makes sense that Boost would release it with a 'new' 8330 since it is their first BB. Other carriers will probably wait until their new devices with the new OS level off in sales or the 'newness' factor wears off.
    I'm sure the other carriers will release the update, long after most of us have left our 8330 for the Tour 2 or whatever the newest device with OS 5 is. It's simple really, the demand for all the new BB's would be less if people had a brand new shiny OS to play with for another 6 months to a year. Pretty smart by the carriers if you ask me.
    Last edited by caseydietz; 01-23-10 at 03:54 PM.
    01-23-10 03:50 PM
    You're both crazy as **** if you think the same OS from a different region has some magical powers. The carrier adds only 1 thing to a OS and thats a Vendor.XML file. All add-ons and restrictions come from service books that are pushed out via carrier when your device is registered with the network. Radio files are not tweaked with by the carrier either to my knowledge, they give feedback on it, then RIM rewrites it.

Whatever 5.0 build comes out for the Bold sanctioned by AT&T has to make sure it doesnt bust VVM since thats one of the most obvious glitches for 5.0 now. Im sure 5.0 will be coming very soon, especially given the fact that numerous other carriers are updating devices and Verizon will soon be getting the 9650 with 5.0 and rumors of a Feb 5.0 release for the 9630.

Regardless, you want 5.0 then be pro-active and do it yourself even a moron who cant see my avatar can do it.
    01-23-10 03:57 PM
    I already have the bell .411 release on my phone but it is so irritating every time i come back from overseas or switch my sim card to another i lose my browser and other features and have to reload those things again...

and btw, not having vvm is annoying

its just ridiculous that they don't quickly approve the os so that we can have all the vital features out of the box that we need.
    01-23-10 04:34 PM
    I already have the bell .411 release on my phone but it is so irritating every time i come back from overseas or switch my sim card to another i lose my browser and other features and have to reload those things again...

its just ridiculous that they don't quickly approve the os so that we can have all the vital features out of the box that we need.
    That's what happens when you're at the mercy of carriers, where their top priority is not pushing out BB updates. This is an area where RIM makes me want to shoot up Waterloo columbine style. I much prefer the Palm and Apple method, where updates come from the manufacturer directly and not have to gay around with the carrier which is the middle man.
    01-23-10 04:56 PM
    Well I had the OS before Bell released it and first time I put in on my phone had about 19mb free after boot and with a lot of apps. Since then I have done a wipe and restore and I got a few extra mb but at the end of the day I still have to do a battery pull.
    01-23-10 05:48 PM
    what in the world is boost mobile? lol, is it a male sexual enhancer?

add this to the long list of at&t's disappointments. at&t will probably release 5.0 in 2025, when the rest of the world is probably on 7.0 or 8.0.
    01-23-10 11:47 PM

WHAT? WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? You mean you bought a phone and it doesn't make calls, send emails and texts, and the browser and calendar doesn't work? You mean your phone was shipped from RIM without the ability to set alarms, take pictures, play music, and watch videos?

YOUR PHONE WAS SHIPPED OUT OF THE BOX WITH ALL THE VITAL FEATURES THAT IT NEEDS. Nobody promised you firmware updates on your schedule. You bought the phone as it was, and I bet you were pretty happy with it too. You have no right to these updates, and any access to them is a courtesy.
    01-24-10 06:32 AM
    I, personally, think it's incredibly ridiculous that AT&T, such a big corporation, is taking this long on releasing OS 5.0 for 9000s.

I even tried using the Bell Mobility release that's stickied but it messed up my browser and it was a pain in the you-know-what to uninstall that and go back to 4.6.0.304 rather than do a work-around.

I'm half tempted to drop AT&T and go with VZW. I know I'm not the only AT&T 9000 owner out there. Maybe if we complained non-stop they'd get on the ball and release 5.0...

Yeah, non-stop complaining is going to get you your OS much faster. *NEWSFLASH* PEOPLE ARE ALREADY COMPLAINING NON-STOP. If you think it's so ridiculous then you obviously know nothing about big corporations. You too should read my last post, and realize that NOBODY OWES YOU A FIRMWARE UPDATE, AND ACCESS IS A COURTESY. And of course your browser had to be fixed, because you have to have AT&T's specific deamon browser cod file for it to work. You should be thankfull that the fix takes 5 minutes because a thoughtful CB member took the time to research, perfect, and share the method with us, instead of complaining that you have to do 5 minutes of work to have access to something that is offered as a courtesy to you.

And if you think jumping ship to Verizon is going to get you updates any faster, then you are mistaken again. Verizon follows the same market trends and fiscal patterns that every other "big corporation" follows. Maybe you think that they are releasing more updates, but that's only because of their device release schedule.

And what about the giant fact that all of you are missing - AT&T IS RELEASING UPDATES! Maybe it's not the specific update that you want, but they are releasing 4.6 updates because they are comitted to the continuous improvment of their devices and service.

IF YOU WANT OS 5, THEN STOP WHINING AND CRYING AND COMPLAINING, AND JUST INSTALL IT ALREADY. IF YOU'VE ALREADY INSTALLED IT AND DON'T LIKE IT, THEN DOWNGRADE ALREADY.
    01-24-10 06:52 AM
    LittleRedDot takes AT&T incompetence personally. CHill out dude.

No one "owes" us anything but when other carriers release 5.0 and AT&T doesnt so it can sell more 9700s its a bit obvious.

Frankly, AT&T has lost me for good. ****ty service is often enough of a reason but this is the last straw for me at least.

I'm going to go back to iPhone when 4.0 hits Verizon. I hear the new email client and keyboard blows prior versions away.

Back to a real smartphone and bye bye 1990s style OS from RIM
    01-24-10 07:43 AM
    EXCUSE ME??

1. I am an AT&T CUSTOMER which means AT&T needs to do what is necessary to keep me and my family as their customers. Deliberately withholding an OS update is unnaceptable in my book when a major competitor has already OK'd it for its customers.
    Well it very well may be unacceptable to you, but you have to know by now that keeping customers is not near the priority that getting new customers is. If you don't like it then switch carrier's. Oh, and, what "major competitor" has OK'd 5.0 for the 9000?

2. VZW already is rolling out the updates much, MUCH faster than AT&T. That means they're more concerned with keeping their customers than making them wait who knows how long when they have the update sitting right there. Please, PLEASE show me where AT&T is releasing their updates at a pace VZW is.[/QUOTE]

As I explained earlier, the release of updated OS is tightly related by their model lineup, and what's coming out soon. Maybe Verizon has released more updates, but if they had the 9000 I bet they wouldn't have released 5.0 yet. Verizon happens to have more BB models, so by statistical average they would release more OS. Plus, they have the Storm, which we all know requires more updates than anything else because of it's numerous issues. And I hope you're not talking about phones that shipped with 5.0, and they released a 5.0 update - big difference. If you really think that "more updates" = "more customer concern", then why are you playing on the internet instead of switching carriers?

3. An OS update is NOT a coutesy. It's released by RIM for their users to have. NOTE: there is NO charge for this update. It's MEANT to be distributed to BlackBerry users, and if it was just a courtesy then RIM would charge its user for it.[/QUOTE]

An OS update is a courtesy. Show me where in your contract, where AT&T says that they will provide you with updates? Don't have your contract handy? Well I'll help you out then, it's right over... NOWHERE What you describe, about being released by RIM for us to use, and there's no charge, is the very definition of courtesy. If they never ever ever ever ever ever ever released an OS update you would have no reasonable expectation to demand one. AT&T can absorb hundreds and hundreds of OS updates from Rim and never ever deflect them to the customer if they wanted to. They are under NO obligation to give you updated firmware, not to you anyway. I'm sure they have an agreement with RIM, but nowhere does it say that they have to release them on your timetable. They use the big updates as strategically as they can because, let's face it, they want to make as much money as they can. They have that right. The only right you have is to switch carriers.

4. The 4.6 update isn't truly an update. It's a TWEAKED version of a past OS that needed some issues worked out. In case you haven't noticed, OS 5.0 is a mostly-revamped OS.[/QUOTE]

"Tweaked version of past OS"? That's the very definition of an update. I agree, 5.0 is greatly improved in a lot of areas, but it's still just an update. As I stated earlier, why would they want to give you something shiny and new for free when they want and need you to be drooling over the shiny new phones. Shiny and new is what the customers want so... Give it away or sell it? Are you really shocked that they choose to sell it? If you think you'll have a better experience with another carrier, then what is stopping you?

5. If you would READ, which being a fanboy for AT&T you obviously haven't, I DID install the Bell released .411 version of 5.0. It messed up my browser and I had to reinstall apps and themes that I lost which I needed said browser in order to reinstall. Someone was kind enough to give me a link to a workaround that, guess what, did NOT come from CrackBerry. And I DID go through the pain-in-the-a** to go back to 4.6.0.304 and wait for AT&T to "officially" release it. But, guess what? I AM STILL WAITING.[/QUOTE]

I read that you said you installed it. All versions of any OS that don't have the AT&T specific browser deamon cod file will have to be fixed, that's why there is a fix. If you were smart you would have researched before installing, that way you would've been prepared to do the fix and it wouldn't have been a big deal. Agreed, the fix came from Pinstack, but wherever the fix came from is irrelevant. The fact that you used that as a debate point just means you have no real points to use. If you had to reinstall your apps and themes that means that you either didn't back them up correctly, or you didn't restore them correctly. Either way, that's entirely your fault, and has nothing whatsoever to do with AT&T. And downgrading OS's is only a PITA if you don't know what you're doing, which again, a little research would have prevented that - You're fault If you want to wait for AT&T to "officially" release 5.0, have fun. I hope you have some patience.

Oh and BTW, .411 IS NOT THE ONLY 5.0 RELEASE FLOATING AROUND There are many others that have very few bugs and work just fine. Why not try one of them before boo hoo'ng?
    01-24-10 05:50 PM
    everyone settle the f*ck down before this thread gets locked
    01-24-10 06:04 PM
    If an AT&T 5.0 knocks down the volume on my 9000 like the Bell 5.0 release did, then - no thanks...
    Last edited by That70sGAdawg; 01-24-10 at 10:33 PM.
    01-24-10 10:31 PM
    I haven't experienced the volume bug on any of the .411 releases like I did with other 5.0 releases.

01-25-10 05:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD