I have a Verizon 8830 and will soon be traveling to Thailand. Instead of paying Verizon $1.29 per minute, I would like to purchase a pre-paid SIM from a local carrier when I arrive. Has anyone done this? Are there any hoops to jump through? Of course, Verizon customer service says it can't be done.
    Thanks
    08-26-07 06:52 PM
    If you're phone is unlocked - no problem. It'll work great. I do that there and other places in Asia.

Don't by the sim card here - and "international sim" they are sooooooooo much more expensive here. You can buy them EVERYWHERE at a fraction of the costs you'll get stuck with this side of the Atlantic. (Remember - this is for local calling there). There are other sim-card plans they have there which will allow you to call back to the U.S. - and it's still less expensive to purchase there.

kalli
    08-26-07 07:27 PM
    I'm using a third-party SIM card in Russia. Voice works fine, though some carriers display country code numbers differently and the phone (unlike some) doesn't recognize which contacts are calling.

Also, while I was able to access GPRS through programs like Google Maps and Gmail, all the service books disappeared - so the web browser, google chat and other programs don't work. And, of course, the Blackberry email function doesn't work.
    08-27-07 10:16 AM
    I have a Verizon 8830 and will soon be traveling to Thailand. Instead of paying Verizon $1.29 per minute, I would like to purchase a pre-paid SIM from a local carrier when I arrive. Has anyone done this? Are there any hoops to jump through? Of course, Verizon customer service says it can't be done.
    Thanks
    You have got to be kidding me... after the mile long thread that has been done on this AND the FAQ marked READ FIRST (both of which are stickies and at the very top of this forum) and this question still comes up... WTF?!
    08-27-07 10:57 AM
    You have got to be kidding me... after the mile long thread that has been done on this AND the FAQ marked READ FIRST (both of which are stickies and at the very top of this forum) and this question still comes up... WTF?!
    Pls see my comments re that FAQ on 3rd party SIM cards. Information is not 100% accurate....though I would be delighted to find out I am wrong....
    08-28-07 05:34 AM
    Be nice, we are all here to help.
    08-28-07 10:38 AM
    Be nice, we are all here to help.
    I know, I know I'm not trying to be a mean guy but I just get a little frustrated when that keeps happening LOL
    08-28-07 12:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD