Don't bash me before you hear what I've got to say. I have been on the forums since 08. I have found a lot of good technical info here and I thank you all. But this I can't hold back any longer. In the past I looked forward to seeing who would bring the next great theme to the forums. It seems it is filled with elementary and preschool themes. There are so many wonderful theme makers out there. My hat off to Foppa, Dannieloco, Natemz and others. Always great things to look forward to. I enjoy reading posts from Dollface, Motorcycle Mama, Heavy Fluid and Tripster just tells it like it is. I miss petewhit from my 8330 days. pkcable was the first to help me as a noob. But now the themes seem to be so lame. Look, we love our toys but come on guys we need more quality themes than quantity. We don't need a lot of clunky material that is a waste of download. Out with the old and in with the new! There are so many talented people here and we know who appeals to the masses. Looking for functionality and form. Sophisication with an air of simplicity. We want font sizes we can read. There is nothing worse than a great theme when you download it, you can't even read the print. Give us great color combos like orange and brown, maroon and gold, ruby and sapphire, green and black. Let it glow for some and matte for others. Bring the quality back to our forums. It seems like some high school kids are making themes in study hall. Bring it on. Subtle highlights with a flair. Its the weekend, give us something to be proud of. A good theme always lay in the background lurking for the next kill. Takers anyone? Kids go to sleep and let the BIG boys play. That's my 4 cents

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-10 07:21 PM
    Themes are nothing but a series of preferences, so this doesn't really make any sense.
    01-22-10 07:30 PM
    If you want a great theme and aren't satisfied with what you can find amongst the free and paid offerings, take the time to learn how to create themes yourself and make some. Problem solved.
    01-22-10 08:17 PM
    I agree with mama. Build your own or shut up and move on!!!!!
    01-22-10 08:32 PM
    this thread sucks
    01-22-10 08:43 PM
    Moving to 9630 Themes.
    01-22-10 08:48 PM
    OP is an 8330 user . . . shouldn't this thread be placed there, so we don't have to deal with his ungrateful whining in 9630 Theme forum?
    01-22-10 09:02 PM
    dude come'on, you're not diggin' sweet themes like the "Kobe Bryant" theme. so selfish.
    01-22-10 09:09 PM
    Like I said, it is only my opinion and I'm entitled to that. I am a proud 9630 owner. I don't always agree with others but I respect ther thoughts and rants. With that being said, I gracefully retreat.

01-22-10 09:25 PM
    I think it is great that folks are trying their hand at making themes. Some are not MY taste but may make someone else happy. Those that tentatively appeal to me I try out. Unfortunately, theme-removal generally requires a reboot. Fortunately, OS 5 has made a reboot less horrific (4.7 was nearly 12 minutes).

So, whatever inspires folks, it is nice to have them share. Their creative spirit may improve with age like wines. So go for it............
    01-22-10 09:58 PM
    You are so rite. Too much crappy themes.

01-22-10 10:34 PM
    *Crushed by wall of text.*
    01-23-10 12:28 AM
    I started making themes when I have time because I didn't see anything that was exactly what I wanted a theme to do for me. I can understand the OP to a point as I am seeing a lot here lately published that only changes a font and the background BUT everyone has to start somewhere and for beginners some of them do a real nice job with the knowledge they have. Others excel far beyond what I am capable of when I started. Nobody is putting out total crap though and I do not think that is what Spanish was trying to say. He was simply trying to point out that some makers need to test themselves and spend some time, not that they suck at it and need to quit lol.

Everybody who is still learning the ropes just needs to become a bit more innovative as do I Because I'm starting to run out of new and different ideas.
    01-23-10 12:40 AM
    wow, some nerve. Your only complaining because you don't know how to make them yourself. Theme developers on crackberry work so hard and are willing to change themes to your liking with a small donation, but you've been here since 08' -- you already know that.
    01-23-10 12:37 PM
    I'm all for giving specifics as to "what the people want" in order to help developers but oy, come on. I appreciate the effort and generosity of the theme developers on the forums who give their work away free. I have zero complaints.
    01-23-10 12:47 PM
    Like I said, it is only my opinion and I'm entitled to that. I am a proud 9630 owner. I don't always agree with others but I respect ther thoughts and rants. With that being said, I gracefully retreat.

We all have opinions.....and here is mine.... If you like a particular theme and would like one or two things altered.....a nice friendly comment towards the builder usually works wonders. I agree that some of the themes are pretty novice, but we all start somewhere and we all have to learn. I would have to say your comments are leaning a little more to the side of deflating than inflating
    01-23-10 02:03 PM
    The OP is right, there are some pretty crappy themes out there.

But then again, who are we to judge? It's just an opinion, a crappy theme to one person might be a beauty to someone else.

The best part is, if you don't like them theme, don't download it. Or delete it.
    01-23-10 10:17 PM
    If you want a great theme and aren't satisfied with what you can find amongst the free and paid offerings, take the time to learn how to create themes yourself and make some. Problem solved.
    Have to agree.
    01-23-10 10:19 PM
    OP - As a newbie theme maker.. I am trying to get fancy. I just learned how to do a hidden dock and have done 5 baseball related themes with it and have gotten good reviews. It's nothing something you learn overnight.

It takes awhile to learn how to resize icons, to do a hidden dock etc. But if you look at what people want .. alot of them want a stock precision zen them with a weather slot. I have had alot of requests for that with today plus or a hidden today.

My themes use the precision icons because I am still learning to resize icons I have downloaded. Plus, it's hard to get a good color scheme with customized icons sometimes.

I go for simplicity and something I would use on my phone. All the themes I have made, I use. If someone has a request to tweak one of my themes, I happily do it. Whether it's bigger font, color scheme.. what have you.

All of the theme makers you mentioned are fabulous! I can only hope one day I can be as great as them. But it takes time.

I am in no way acting defensive, just giving my POV since I'm a new theme maker.

Like others said: if you see stuff you don't like, download Theme Builder yourself and have at it!
    Last edited by rgarling; 01-23-10 at 10:59 PM.
    01-23-10 10:41 PM
    OP,

Idk if you were trying to ignite a fire underneath the backsides of some of the more talented themers or someone just pissed in your wheaties but let's not bash someones theme just because its not to your liking. Come on now, being a member since 08 should have prevented you from ranting. I don't love every theme posted here, but I do enjoy the fact that so many more people are trying to get into the game.

I like to see what certain people create and put my own spin on it for my own use. I used to try and beg themers to customize their themes to my liking, and then I learned how to do it myself. You gotta remember that no one on these forums create themes as a main source of income, and a lot of themer do it for free.

Learn to do it yourself my man, or ask/donate to someone who can do it for you.

01-24-10 12:28 AM
    I have listened well to the opinions of all and please understand this thread was in no way meant to be derrogatory. Basically, I feel that in the past it seemed that makers put their talent, heart and soul into the themes. Now, I see themes that are either copies of other themes or just themes that lack originality or functionality. I have read your opinions and respected them. Many times I didn't agree with you, but I did see valid points. I continued to try to understand that everybody has a certain type of theme in which they enjoy. I quess my preference of solid, organized and functional themes are just that. "My preference". I will continue to hope for great themes. I will continue to follow CB forums and I will respect your opinions without being rude for letting you voice your preferences. What's the difference when I see you request hidden today versus non hidden. When you must have a calendar versus non calendar. And please, you don't want it if it doesn't have a weather slot. Never look a gift horse in the mouth. Gracias y adios, vaya con dios, sinceramente, te amo!

01-24-10 01:10 AM
    Lmao. Why would you write this post and expect not to get flamed or bashed? Your whole post seems like a big personal problem to me.

01-24-10 06:02 AM
    While my themes arent the greatest ever, I feel like i make more of an effort to create something unique and user friendly. So I tend to agree with the OP.

Unfortunately there's just as many members on here requesting lame themes and praising stupid pop culture themes with lame font choices, and themes that are nothing more than a color change and a new wallpaper image. A lot of these "custom" themes could be recreated without even downloading a theme.

maybe there needs to be a Theme Beginners forum or something.
    01-25-10 09:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD