My friends, I've owned the Storm 1 since Dec '08 (first blackberry/smartphone ever). So my 2 year contract with Verizon ends this coming December and I'm wondering if I should upgrade to a Storm 2 (dare I say Storm 3?) and would like to know what you all think. I've heard everything from the Storm 2 being the best ever to the Storm 2 not being such a great upgrade if the Storm 1 is performing fine for you.

Now I have considered other types of blackberry devices but I am not sure if I want to give up all the screen real estate that the Storm provides.

So sound off guys.
    01-22-10 03:10 PM
    Advice from someone that had the storm1 since day 1. Do yourself a favor and do it. You will love it. The difference is day and night. I just posted a thread a few min ago. Storm2 more than just an upgrade from Storm1.
    01-22-10 03:24 PM
    01-22-10 03:25 PM
    Agreed. The S2 is a major step up from the S1. With that said, there are alot of compelling choices on Verizon today. Add to that the pre plus and the Nexus one. If you are going to stay with BB, and who could blame you, the S2 is a great phone. If not, you should check out what else is out there.
    01-22-10 03:26 PM
    For me, the 2 year mark meant a $100 discount off the current price, but an upgrade after 1 year (where you are now, I think) meant a $50 discount off the current price. If that's true for your account, that means you can buy an S2 for 179 - 50 = 129. Right now, assuming your S1 is in decent shape, it's worth $150 to $200 on ebay (I just sold mine a few weeks ago for $180.). I doubt the S1 will be worth that after another year of use is on it. You might want to upgrade now, then sell your S1. Should come out pretty close to no money out of pocket for the upgrade when it's all done.
    01-22-10 03:46 PM
    After going through 5 S1's I can tell you that the S2 is AMAZING! It's everything the S1 should've been. I was going to get the Tour after my 5th S1, but I love the touch screen so much, and the S2 improved that immensely!!! I would highly recommend it, as I have to other BB users.
    01-22-10 10:37 PM
    i agree the storm 2 is an awesome phone. But you have to install the latest OS leak. After the leak no problems. I have the storm 1 still, storm 2 and the tour. I use the tour for business, and the storm 2 for the fun. I too love the real estate on the phone.
    01-22-10 10:40 PM
    I have a Storm1, got so tired of its limitations, I bought a Storm2.
    and I am totally happy that I spent the money and have not looked back what so ever. But to each their own desicion has to be made, if you are happy with the Storm1, ride it out until the 3 comes out. And if dont want the 3 at that time catch the Storm2 at the lower price. But me I am impatient especially when I start having problems, but right now I have been using this one for 3 months and I am still impressed so unless the 3 is spectaculare I may ride this one out for more then 12 months this time.
    01-23-10 12:04 AM
    Do it. OpenGL ES, more memory and a very awesome peizo tech screen. Just to toss it out there I'd also check into the Pre Plus if you don't need push email.
    01-23-10 12:36 AM
    I had a Storm1 for 13 months. Verizon replaced it 4 times. Last weekend, they finally replaced it with a Storm2.

My only complaint with the Storm1 was that I was constantly running out of memory and having to do a battery pull. So far, with the Storm2, it is holding solid after days, with 125MB of memory free. I used to run BerryTunes all the time on my Storm1s and I have not installed that on my Storm2, so maybe that was the culprit for my constant memory loss.

Anyway, if you're not having any trouble with your Storm, and you don't need WiFi, then I would not spend any money to upgrade to the Storm2 (and, in fact, I did not). Other than WiFi and running OpenGL apps (of which, there are none of note yet), the Storm2 doesn't really let you do anything that you can't do with your S1, so why spend money to upgrade?
    01-23-10 10:03 AM
    read the rest of the posts about this same exact question.

Do a search man, that's what it's there for.
    01-23-10 10:41 AM
    Had a Storm 1 and went to a Storm 2 ... love it!
    01-25-10 06:12 AM
    I'm highly tempted to upgrade from the S1 to S2 - mainly because of non-existant app memory (I'm a heavy biz user and only boot up with like 10mb, which disappears quickly (and affects performance), and I'm sick of dust under the screen.

But I'm afraid if I upgrade now and use whatever discounts Verizon may offer for early upgrades, I'd be hosed if the S3 comes out soon (read various rumors that it may be unveiled in April at some electronics show).

Does anyone here have experience with doing upgrades on Verizon and can tell me their experience trying to do more than one upgrade in a year?

If I can do only one, I may try to wait out the S3 as I'd really like to see (my wishlist): even more memory, a better camera (5mp?), and ideally a little larger screen (landscape keyboard is a bit cramped IMO compared to iPhone and Droid (virtual one)).
    Last edited by jmk32; 01-25-10 at 10:08 AM.
    01-25-10 09:39 AM
    I would say that if you really like your Storm, then you will only love the Storm2. As a Day 1 Storm owner, I (although often frustrated) always thought it was still a good phone. When it got the version 5 software, I was really pretty happy. I ended up getting a free Storm2 from Verizon a few months ago and I must say that I think I have one of the best phones around. (And I had the chance to get the Droid and chose to stay with the S2, but that is also an impressive phone. I just hated the typing which is ironic since that is what I hated most on the original Storm.)
    I need to change my screen name to ActuallyLoveMyStorm2!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-10 10:16 AM
    I would say that if you really like your Storm, then you will only love the Storm2. As a Day 1 Storm owner, I (although often frustrated) always thought it was still a good phone. When it got the version 5 software, I was really pretty happy. I ended up getting a free Storm2 from Verizon a few months ago and I must say that I think I have one of the best phones around. (And I had the chance to get the Droid and chose to stay with the S2, but that is also an impressive phone. I just hated the typing which is ironic since that is what I hated most on the original Storm.)
    I need to change my screen name to ActuallyLoveMyStorm2!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    +1 on the Droid typing. I've checked it out a few times and IMO the slide out keyboard is one of the worst I've seen (I used to own an HTC slider) with very little feel to it and the on screen keyboard was WAY too touchy for me. Maybe with a lot of use and practice, it gets better, but with the Storm there's no 'learning curve' with the keyboard and I love the SureType in portrait too...
    01-25-10 10:23 AM
    Storm 2 is a great upgrade from the first Storm....
    No regrets!!!!!!!
    01-25-10 11:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD