I had been switching off between RIM's native browser and Bolt's browser up to now, and last night decided to download Opera Mini browser just to see how it stacks up.

I am simply floored at the difference. Why did I wait so long to try this out?

Opera did an amazing job with this app.
    01-22-10 07:41 AM
    where did you get it ?
    01-22-10 08:00 AM
    Yeah, it's pretty quick. I can't seem to get the pointer to work well at all though. Not even sure how it's supposed to work.
    01-22-10 08:05 AM
    where did you get it ?
    Opera Mini is the next generation mobile browser for any mobile phone.
    01-22-10 08:07 AM
    on your phones browser, go to www.operamini.com, then click try (the new mini 5 beta.) then your all set...
    01-22-10 08:08 AM
    01-22-10 08:10 AM
    i tired this on my curve prior to having a S2...
    does anyone think its better for the S2 then on the curve?

im pretty satisfied with my browser on here compared to the curve...
    01-22-10 08:10 AM
    just now down loaded,WOW,what i have been missing,this is great.
    01-22-10 08:21 AM
    i tired this on my curve prior to having a S2...
    does anyone think its better for the S2 then on the curve?

im pretty satisfied with my browser on here compared to the curve...
    By virtue of the Storm's full screen, yes.
    01-22-10 08:25 AM
    Seeing the title, I got excited thinking it was out of beta.
    01-22-10 08:25 AM
    thanks mikestorm,i would have never tried this without see this post,this is what browsing should be like.
    01-22-10 08:29 AM
    By virtue of the Storm's full screen, yes.
    good point...
    01-22-10 08:30 AM
    Great browser. Needs two fixes from what I can see;

-smoother, quicker scrolling
    -Better landscape to portrait screen re-formatting. If you switch from portrait to landscape, the screen changes, but the page is not redrawn. It just has a bunch of empty space to the right. Same thing in reverse. From landscape to portrait means you hvae to scroll side to side to read the text.
    -when launching from links in emails, you get the option to use Opera, but nothing happens.

Other than those three, this is a great alternative to the BB native browser.
    01-22-10 08:47 AM
    is this still the 5 beta 2??
    01-22-10 09:30 AM
    In definitely impressed with the 5 beta 2. its so much quicker than the native browser that I don't think ill go back. Are there any bugs I should be aware of?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-10 10:17 AM
    this is what browsing should be like.
    I wouldn't go quite that far.
    01-22-10 10:23 AM
    The links on opera don't act right

01-22-10 10:32 AM
    I wouldn't go quite that far.
    You disagree that this is what browsing should be like? I'd love to know why. This is light years beyond the native browser, and serves to shore up a significant deficiency with the phone.

01-22-10 04:45 PM
    Can your bookmarks form the native BB browser be imported into the opera browser ??
    Thank you
    01-22-10 05:11 PM
    You disagree that this is what browsing should be like? I'd love to know why. This is light years beyond the native browser, and serves to shore up a significant deficiency with the phone.

+1 opera literally blows the native browser out of the frame. Although it has its issues here and there but its a beta and is improving! opera mini on my 8900 or 9700 flys! : D
    01-22-10 05:22 PM
    Can your bookmarks form the native BB browser be imported into the opera browser ??
    Thank you
    Unfortunately, no, but the significantly increased speed are well worth manually moving them. Just download opera 5.2 and try it with a few of your frequented sites. If you don't love it, then don't spend any time moving bookmarks. If you do want to move them, here's a trick someone else shared with me...if you touch (not click) and hold your finger on the address bar in opera for about 2 seconds, a little box pops up that lets you paste the link from the native browser that you copied. At least you don't have to re-type them.
    01-22-10 05:50 PM
    i've used it for a while, but the thing im not really getting to work is to Download files (over wifi) the download never really starts. but it's amazing otherwise, i love it except that!
    also that you don't need to change anything when swapping back and forth between WiFi and 3G
    01-22-10 06:09 PM
    Oprea ftw

01-22-10 07:48 PM

Yes I would disagree. Yes it it better than the native BB browser, but hardly what browsing should be like. The native browser on virtually every other smartphone is better than OM on a BB.
    01-22-10 07:56 PM
    The TABs in Opera are amazing and it really works with WiFi - not like the Storm browser.

My only issues with Opera are:

1. When you click on a link (pdf, mp3, etc), the only option you have is to save it - you can't just open it.

2. I use a web-based email account and email links from the web site rarely work in Opera, but they do in the RIM browser. Opera seems to want to include the link text in the url link

bert
    Last edited by bertsirkin; 01-22-10 at 08:17 PM.
    01-22-10 08:15 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD