Can someone explain to me the different browsers available for BB (other than the pre-installed one) and any advantages they have? Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-10 08:17 PM
    Thank you

01-21-10 09:16 PM
    Just stick with the native BlackBerry browser - there are those who will argue, but the Opera Mini and Bolt third-party browsers are grossly overrated...
    01-22-10 09:12 AM
    Just stick with the native BlackBerry browser - there are those who will argue, but the Opera Mini and Bolt third-party browsers are grossly overrated...
    Explain? You wouldn't agree that Opera Mini and Bolt load pages faster than the native web browser? Only thing I hate about Opera Mini is the fact that the cursor crawls and makes it difficult for you. The loading speed plays a big factor in people's "argument".
    01-22-10 09:15 AM
    Just my two cents....

I have used all three (native, bolt, and opera) and I see advantages and disadvantages to each. I used the native browser for four months before I decided to test out some others just for kicks.

I enjoyed Opera over Bolt. Opera seemed a little more user friendly and had a few little tweaks that I enjoyed. But at the end of the day, the native browser was what I started on and it fits me well. (I also use a tour with 5.0...419)

Best thing to do it try each option and see what feels best. Everyone seems to have their own opinion and preferences.
    01-22-10 03:23 PM
    One more $.02.

Opera Mini was not user friendly at all. Maybe the latest rendition is better than the one before.

Bolt is good for some sites but not for fast updating sites like CB.

The native browser is my most consistent fave in spite of its foibles.

01-22-10 04:11 PM
    Opera kept messing up my site laouts and I just didn't like Bolt as much as the native browser.
    01-22-10 07:02 PM
    I always use opera. The BB browser was just way too slow. Tried out bolt but it isn't as fast as opera for me. It does format the pages better, it seems, than opera. But I like operas app format better.

01-22-10 08:44 PM
    I've gone back and forth on the two for a while, and each has their strengths, but I've been sticking to Bolt lately. It delivers a more desktop-like view and renders pages Opera Mini does not.

A couple of tips I've found regarding Bolt: go into the Preferences and tweak these two settings:

- Set "Magnification" to "XXLarge". This provides a nice balance of font size and page rendering (reminds me of when you zoom in on Opera Mini).

- Set "Transport" to "Socket". You'll see faster performance (according to the Bolt FAQ, around 15%). This setting actually made In-line videos (like on the main YouTube site) watchable, and not a choppy mess.

Make sure you save your changes and close out of Bolt and re-open it. This may not be strictly necessary but I do it to make sure the changes took.

These have made Bolt even better for me. As always, YMMV.
    01-22-10 10:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD