I am on Telus. I want a 9530.

I hear so many bad things about Storm's and people warning me not to get one... but I've always wanted one. I hear most people around here will have the Storm on Telus or Bell, and they never bothered trying to get OS 5, so they have OS 4.7 or whatever Telus offers... Does OS 5 fix many of the problems? Is this a durable phone? I need it to last me at least 2 years. I take very good care of my phones.

Apparently its the hardware of the Storm that people are really knocking. More Storms than any other BB come in for refurbs... This is what I hear. I want something reliable , is the Storm right for me? (I'm not interested in any other BB)

I would be coming from an HTC Touch Diamond.
    Last edited by Wond3r; 01-20-10 at 11:49 PM.
    01-20-10 11:25 PM
    I am on Telus.

I hear so many bad things about Storm's and people warning me not to get one... but I've always wanted one. I hear most people around here will have the Storm on Telus or Bell, and they never bothered trying to get OS 5, so they have OS 4.7 or whatever Telus offers... Does OS 5 fix many of the problems? Is this a durable phone? I need it to last me at least 2 years. I take very good care of my phones.

Apparently its the hardware of the Storm that people are really knocking. More Storms than any other BB come in for refurbs... This is what I hear. I want something reliable , is the Storm right for me? (I'm not interested in any other BB)

OS5 corrects most problems, or reduces their severity for the most part, but the phone still isn't perfect. I was playing with a Droid Eris while I was having my storm replaced today at Big Red ( On my 4th storm as of now ) and I'll be quite honest, I'm in love with Android and what it has to offer. I'm jumping hoops for my contract to be up so I can upgrade to a Android. By that time, I'll probably have my sights on the Google Phone.
    01-20-10 11:38 PM
    Storm is great. I love mine.
    01-20-10 11:42 PM
    I got my storm2 from Telus when it first came out and i absolutly love it. I had to get a new one cuz the first one i got kept rebooting itself, so they sent me a new one and ive never had a single problem. Best phone i've ever had...
    01-20-10 11:46 PM
    skwij . can you comment on its reliablity?

kokobutter . I cant really afford the storm2 right now, which is why I am asking about the storm 1 (9530 , not 9550)
    01-20-10 11:50 PM
    I have the first Storm and its pretty cool...thinking about upgrading to the 2 because I've heard theres so many advantages with it...like Wi-fi, and a better screen etc....but overall the 9530 does good, esp when you update to the OS 5.0...it runs so much better
    01-21-10 12:09 AM
    i love ma storm...
    01-21-10 01:14 AM
    I have the Storm 1, I have to say though that although the software for version 4.7 is OK, I would highly suggest putting version 5 on, as it makes the phone a whole load better and more reliable. Its the best phone I've ever had. The battery lasts for a couple of days, and there are a few apps out there that manage the memory better than the device software that I would recommend downloading to it. Go ahead and get one, but don't forget to update it.
    01-21-10 01:23 AM
    the storm 1 is great phone it has all of the apps and features I need.

It does take a bit of time to get use to the SureType technology not once your use to it there is nothing better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-10 02:02 AM
    i cant set mine down for longer than 15 mins... really drives the GF ape mad
    01-21-10 02:33 AM
    I got my Storm1 a couple months after it came out. Never had any hardware problems with it and I still have the original phone. The touch screen isn't perfect, but certanly not bad enough to return the phone. My biggest complaint was when I was trying to do something quick, the lag would drive me nuts.

However, after upgrading to 5.0 the phone is great. Could it be faster? Sure; but it's good enough. I am more than satified with the performance for what "I" do with it. I'll save my upgrade for when the Storm 3 comes out.
    01-21-10 06:09 AM
    I love my 9530. I wasn't sure when I first purchased it (approx six months ago) but with the most recent official OS upgrade (419) and the torx touchscreen adjustment the phone is excellent. (I have done both these simple things on two of my friends' Storms and they both agree it is a totally different phone) If you can muster it, go with the 9550, if only for the added memory (limited apps can be a drag if load your phone with games and such) Just my two cents, good luck
    01-21-10 06:50 AM
    I have a S1 and truefully I didnt like when I first got it but after OS 5 came out, it got better... still I like the touch screen but would rather a bigger key pad phone...
    01-21-10 08:12 AM
    I love my Storm and OS5 v419 makes it run like it was supposed to. SOmetimes I miss my Curve, but I don't honestly think I could ever go back to a non-touch BB.

01-21-10 10:52 AM
    I love my Storm 1.

Question: I am on the Rogers network and the phone was from Telus so I had it unlocked for Rogers. If I upgrade the OS to 5 will I run into any issues because it is a Telus phone being used on Rogers?

Also where can I get the download for OS 5 ?

Many Thanks
    01-21-10 10:57 AM
    I love my Storm. Like most said, get OS 5 for sure. Also get BerryJoose and QuickPull, they are must have apps for me.
    01-21-10 11:11 AM
    I love my Storm 1.

Question: I am on the Rogers network and the phone was from Telus so I had it unlocked for Rogers. If I upgrade the OS to 5 will I run into any issues because it is a Telus phone being used on Rogers?

Also where can I get the download for OS 5 ?

Many Thanks
    Try going to Options, Advanced Options, Wireless Update or use the desktop manager for updates.
    01-21-10 11:13 AM
    When I first got my phone it was difficult to use, and with the updates that have gone on since I got it, it makes it a lot better, but I am soooo done with the phone... I would look at the other phones that are out there if you want a touch screen phone... I have not tried the Storm II but I really dont like my phone anymore.

Good luck!

01-21-10 11:58 AM
    Pretty much has everything to do with expectations. What do you want, and will this be the phone that can deliver? It isn't everything to everybody.
    01-21-10 12:22 PM

I love my storm. It does what I need it to. No major issues. Plus unless you can afford to keep chasing the latest and greatest get the Storm 1. It is a good phone and a very addictive little device.

01-21-10 12:36 PM
    I have had my storm since January of 2009. I have little or no complaints. I agree that the OS 5 makes all the difference. I also have the Bold 9000 and the physical keyboard is faster to type for me. The touch screen is easier to navigate on the storm. The camera has been great. I get fantastic photos at my kids hockey and baseball games. There is a delay, but you get great photos. The droid and iphone are better for web surfing but not better for messaging. You just have to decide what you want most out of the phone. I just received two more 9530's today for my 76 year old dad and my wife. I hope that I have the same experience with these two phones. I am pretty sure I will be their technician. good luck.
    01-21-10 12:43 PM
    I like it.
    01-21-10 01:02 PM
    I'm also on Telus, and aside from having absolutely no customer support, they don't have OS 5 available yet. The Storm is awesome, but OS 5 would make it a whole lot better in my opinion, and if you be on any carrier but Telus with it, that'd be awesome too.
    01-21-10 05:16 PM
    I love the storm!

I HATE telus. (luckily all the latest OS leaks work just fine on the telus "network".. the quotation marks are because it's difficult for me to call it a network without bursting out laughing)

But it is still a great phone. Nothing beats getting email pushed to your phone while you listen to music, surf the net, talk on MSN, Gtalk, BBM and send txts.... all while hitting up Bubble Defense or Chop Sushi when you're waiting for web pages to load. Good times once you get the hang of typing. I seriously can't understand how people use regular Blackberry phones. Every time I pick up my friend's curve I feel like I jumped back in time 5 years. Screen real estate FTW.
    Last edited by kinggeoff; 01-21-10 at 05:29 PM.
    01-21-10 05:27 PM

The Storm sucks big blue monkey sack-
    Run while you still can!!!

But in all honestly- Go visit the Storm OS Message Forum and take note of the the problems people are dealing with..

Then go to an alternate forum for another phone you may be considering (android rules).. and look at the problems they are dealing with.

Factor in the solutions people are using and if they are straightforward or involve complete OS overhauls.. and unauthorized hybrids.. etc. Because you will lose many hours to certain bugs with the storm.

Also consider that some things on the Storm cost money.. (tethering and gps navigation).. while they may be free on other platforms.. (google nav, tethering on droid)..

best of luck!
    Matt
    01-21-10 06:01 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD