Hello.

Perhaps someone has some advice.

Today I randomly found a Blackberry 8330 with no owner in my place of business. I could be dishonest and claim it for myself but I personally have no use for the 8330 since I use the 8900 Curve and am quite satisfied. (Needless to say the CDMA 8330 wouldn't work with my GSM network anyway)

I would like to return it to it's original owner but unfortunately the owner locked his/her device with a password. I would love to be able to unlock the device and perhaps call the 'Home' number in the phonebook or look for other clues before giving up. This can't really be it, right? A lost and locked blackberry isn't just a paperweight, right? I refuse to believe it.

Please advise.
    01-20-10 08:49 AM
    1. Wait a couple of days to see if the owner claims it.
    2. then, call the carrier.
    01-20-10 08:53 AM
    You're right ttfmaep and I appreciate your feedback.

However, regardless of what anyone should ethically do, the question still remains: Is there anyway to override a password on a locked blackberry or is it just a brick?

That's what interests me more. I wouldn't be surprised if the owner turned up shortly. I know I'd be running all over looking for my lost 'berry.
    01-20-10 08:56 AM
    Hello.

Perhaps someone has some advice.

Please advise.
    1. post the PIN, color, and carrier of the phone and ask them to call the phone.
    2. wait for someone to call the phone looking for the owner.
    3. if still no response, call the carrier.
    01-20-10 09:02 AM
    Clearly you guys aren't understanding the question. Thanks anyway.
    01-20-10 09:03 AM
    I understand, and no we will not help you. Do the right thing and turn it in, it does not belong to you...
    01-20-10 09:05 AM
    I understand, but don't know of anyway to remove the password with the exception of overriding the system (which would most likely remove the contacts)

If it has a sim card, why don't you try removing it from the BB and putting it in another phone to get to the contact lists, OR, use Device Manager in order to save a copy of the contacts and go that route...Seein you have a curve, your plugs should be the same.
    01-20-10 09:06 AM
    It is my understanding that if it is password protected, and you don't enter the correct password in 10 tries, it is a brick. Maybe the owner knows this and will be using insurance to get a new phone? In any event, if they report it as lost to the carrier, the carrier will "blacklist" the device so no one else could activate it.
    01-20-10 09:07 AM
    If you take it to the carrier they can use the esn to look up the customer and then contact them. Best advise is to contact the carrier.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-10 09:19 AM
    I understand, and no we will not help you. Do the right thing and turn it in, it does not belong to you...
    Agreed!

Funny though, if you don't have your name/email/number/pin or something in the Owner fields how would someone know the pin? Even if you call the carrier exactly what can you tell them?

Good thing my owners fields has everything listed, so if it gets lost I'm easy for anyone to find. Unless of course they don't want to.....
    01-20-10 09:25 AM
    Finally someone who wants to do the right thing.
    Unfortunately op, there is no way to over ride the password. Finding owner information will be impossible. (maybe rim should think about at least showing the "return to xxx-xxxx if found" without needing the password)
    The only thing that you can do is take it to the police, the carrier or out an add in the paper. Although most people don't read the paper anymore.

01-20-10 09:31 AM
    Agreed!

Funny though, if you don't have your name/email/number/pin or something in the Owner fields how would someone know the pin? Even if you call the carrier exactly what can you tell them?...
    When you connect it to Desktop Manager, it should pop up with the PIN. It may also be under the battery.

To the OP: I'd just call the carrier and report it. But, if you insist to call a contact entry, then I'd do like stated above and try to connect it to DM and copy over that file to your BB (after you back up your data first).
    01-20-10 09:39 AM
    I understand, but don't know of anyway to remove the password with the exception of overriding the system (which would most likely remove the contacts)

If it has a sim card, why don't you try removing it from the BB and putting it in another phone to get to the contact lists, OR, use Device Manager in order to save a copy of the contacts and go that route...Seein you have a curve, your plugs should be the same.
    The 8330 doesn't have a SIM card.

To the OP, see what carrier's brand is on it, and return it to that carrier. If there is no carrier listed, you could take it to the police.

01-20-10 09:39 AM
    Take it to the police? Really? The police are not a 'lost and found' service. They don't have the time or manpower to try and reconnect lost cellphones and thier owners. Post a couple of flyers and hope the phone rings within a day or two. Otherwise do the owner a favor and either take it to the carrier or brick it and toss it.
    01-20-10 09:46 AM
    Just call the carrier. They'll let you know what to do with it.
    01-20-10 09:51 AM
    If you keep entering in the wrong password, you will wipe the phone. People understand your question just fine. You should easily be able to contact the carrier and then read the serial number from the back so the carrier can contact the customer for you.
    01-20-10 09:58 AM
    Is it just me, or does everyone else get terribly suspicious when people come on here and ask for a way to crack a password. Always sounds like BS to me....
    01-20-10 10:01 AM
    Yes if he has not called for his phone in a few hours he does not know where it is. The right thing to do is take it to the carrier or call them so they can return or disable it.

Even if the password is removed the device is useless unless the owner does not report it lost which would be crazy because of possible usage charges...
    01-20-10 10:08 AM
    I agree to sorry man but someone would have came back for the berry or they will. Heck give me the info under the battery ill call the carrier for you the carrier can track the phone and tell the owner were it is.

01-20-10 10:08 AM
    Yep your story does sound a lil shady, but I'll assume you have the best intent. Do what others advised. Call or turn it into the carrier. They should know what to do.
    01-20-10 10:31 AM
    Give it to the carrier, they can figure out whose phone it is from the ESN and get it back to them.
    01-20-10 10:34 AM
    Yeah, I agree with the other people. You have no reason to ignore the good
    suggestions that you have been given, or to defeat a stranger's password.
    01-20-10 10:40 AM
    Put an ad in your local newspaper for Found Blackberry.
    01-20-10 10:46 AM
    Call the carrier and give them the IMEI number and cell number they'll find a way to contact the owner.

01-20-10 11:16 AM
    Just call the carrier up like others have suggested already. Not trying to call you a thief, but asking ways around the password seem suspicious when there are other easier solutions to get the phone back to the owner.
    01-20-10 11:35 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD