Honest question, and I hope anyone doesn't call me a 'troll'...

I've had a storm 2 since launch day, but the more I've been reading (and seeing on youtube) lately, it seems like the droid is superior to the blackberry. Of course, this all depends on your needs. I don't have a true need for push email. It is a nice feature, but most of the email I do get is junk mail. Here and there I do engage in an email convo with someone to save on the text messages, but I believe that's it.

From what I've seen, the droid battery life is far superior to the storm 2. Of course, the browser is far superior as well. The screen is larger and has better resolution. Too bad their advertising campaign was lackluster in the pre-announcement days.

So, other than my observations, can anyone tell me how the S2 is better?

Will battery life improve with a new OS? Meterberry has seen inconsistent results at times with my battery life.
    01-18-10 07:23 PM
    Nope if that is your take on better than there is nothing better than the droid

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-10 07:33 PM
    Nope if that is your take on better than there is nothing better than the droid

My take on better?

Better screen, better browser (I know RIM has a better browser coming along), better battery life....

Other than email, any advantage to the blackberry (don't count bbm)?
    01-18-10 07:34 PM

I've had a storm 2 since launch day, but the more I've been reading (and seeing on youtube) lately, it seems like the droid is superior to the blackberry. Of course, this all depends on your needs. I don't have a true need for push email. It is a nice feature, but most of the email I do get is junk mail. Here and there I do engage in an email convo with someone to save on the text messages, but I believe that's it.

From what I've seen, the droid battery life is far superior to the storm 2. Of course, the browser is far superior as well. The screen is larger and has better resolution. Too bad their advertising campaign was lackluster in the pre-announcement days.

Will battery life improve with a new OS? Meterberry has seen inconsistent results at times with my battery life.
    I've heard nothing but bad things about battery life on the Droid? The S2 isn't great but i have the 2600 mAh battery mine will last about 2 days on a charge. The screen is bigger, but i've heard its a much heavier bulkier device as well (comes with the territory). Better resolutions....yeah maybe? Push email is great though, but if you don't need then it sounds like you have your mind made up for a Droid...
    01-18-10 07:35 PM

For me, I need the messaging features (email & bbm) I like the form factor of the Blackberrys especially the Storm2, click, and simplicity. If the Storm2 ever went touch-screen, I'd switch back to a classic Berry like the Bold. Not that it's better but for the parts I listed from your post, the Droid would be better for you. It really is all personal preference at this point as there are so many things coming down the line with all these phones. A lot of comparison threads on here as well with other preferences.

I noticed you said not counting bbm but that is a plus for blackberry. I don't need to text as much since most of the people I communicate with have Berrys.
    Last edited by rts3k; 01-18-10 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Added last line
    01-18-10 07:36 PM
    The motorola droid feels really cheap to me and the sliding keyboard is an issue. I have friends that are getting really loose keyboards that wiggle a lot when they slide the keyboard out. Plus that gold button for the camera just adds cheapness to the phone. If you hold a droid in one hand and a storm2 in the other you can tell which one is of better quality and better made.
    01-18-10 07:37 PM
    I've heard nothing but bad things about battery life on the Droid? The S2 isn't great but i have the 2600 mAh battery mine will last about 2 days on a charge. The screen is bigger, but i've heard its a much heavier bulkier device as well (comes with the territory). Better resolutions....yeah maybe? Push email is great though, but if you don't need then it sounds like you have your mind made up for a Droid...

Mother-in-law has the droid so I've seen the device. I have a few coworkers who have the droid but a bunch of them have the storm 1 or 2 as well as many others who have other blackberries.

It may sound like I have my mind made up on a droid, but I have had a storm 2 for 3 months now. I guess if I decided to switch, it would cost me $50 from what I understand at VZ, but then i would lose out on some of the apps I bought...nothing fancy except for Tether. I'm not too big on cashing out and changing. Aside from the browser, is there anything I mentioned that might get fixed with a new OS?

Does your 2600 battery fit in the stock casing? Or is that the one that requires the plastic backing?
    01-18-10 07:39 PM
    I noticed you said not counting bbm but that is a plus for blackberry. I don't need to text as much since most of the people I communicate with have Berrys.
    BBM is a nice feature but it's not a dealbreaker to me. I communicate with people through BBM but not all very often.
    01-18-10 07:44 PM
    The webkit browser patent is floating around but no telling when RIM implements that. What OS are you running now?
    01-18-10 07:52 PM
    The webkit browser patent is floating around but no telling when RIM implements that. What OS are you running now?
    I'm on the 'leaked' OS .428....
    01-18-10 07:54 PM
    I'm also using opera mini beta 2 or whatever it's called....it's a big improvement but it's still not all that great.
    01-18-10 07:55 PM
    Ok. Same here OS 428 that is
    01-18-10 07:55 PM
    I think if you're past your 30 days, you'll have to buy a new phone outright. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.
    01-18-10 08:01 PM
    I don't know why some think that the battery life of the Storm 2 is inferior to the Droid's. I've had nothing but great battery life as compared to my friend's droid. He must have set it to charge 2-3 times a day with medium-heavy use. My Storm was charged once or twice with heavy use.

I'm really not a fan of the Motorola Droids design, but I think that the Android OS is very nice. I just really prefer the form factor of Blackberry. As for the "ancient" OS most refer to, it is fine for what I need my phone to do.

The Moto Droid is the new darling of Verizon and it is well deserved. This will last until you start seeing those who have some kind of issue, whether it be due to user error, OS glitching or just plain boredom.

Pros - The interface is clean and responsive. The browser is fast and the apps are many. Cons - (from what I have experienced) weak battery, physical keyboard layout not great and slow camera.

Most will say, try it before you buy it and enjoy whatever floats your boat. I agree.

Quick note, I have a client who comes in my shop once a week sporting and old blackberry. I'm not sure which one, it's grey with a scroll wheel. I asked him once why he does not upgrade? and he says, Why? this phone does everything I want without fail. It's a workhorse and I love it.

'nuff said.
    01-18-10 08:14 PM

01-18-10 08:24 PM
    I had a droid for a month and came back to the storm2. I can tell you my battery sucked. If I wanted to use my droid in the evening I could not use it during the day. With the same usage if not more my storm 2 battery lasts all day until I go to bed. The apps are subpar on the droid I had more force closes than you would believe. The only thing in my opinion that is better on the droid is google navigation.

01-18-10 08:30 PM
    This is the good feedback I was looking for. People who have used both certainly provide the best insight. When storm 3 and droid 2 come out, or s4 and d3, I'll certainly be giving it a much closer look.

More opinions are welcome.

01-18-10 08:37 PM
    This is the good feedback I was looking for. People who have used both certainly provide the best insight. When storm 3 and droid 2 come out, or s4 and d3, I'll certainly be giving it a much closer look.

If you want balanced insight, go into the Droid forum and ask the same question.
    01-18-10 08:43 PM
    If you want balanced insight, go into the Droid forum and ask the same question.
    the only thing you will get in the droid forums are one sided bias comments. Not even worth the effort.
    01-18-10 08:55 PM
    the only thing you will get in the droid forums are one sided bias comments. Not even worth the effort.
    But, of course it's not one-sided over here, right?
    01-18-10 08:58 PM
    But, of course it's not one-sided over here, right?
    wow, would you guys look at that. We have ourselves a perfect example of a troll. Why come in here and bash? Oh yeah thats right, nothing better to do.
    01-18-10 09:00 PM
    wow, would you guys look at that. We have ourselves a perfect example of a troll. Why come in here and bash? Oh yeah thats right, nothing better to do.
    Owned an S2 for a month, that's why.
    01-18-10 09:03 PM

Yeah so many coming out. I have a friend that swears by Palm and another that swears by Droid. All probably good phones but again always personal preference

01-18-10 09:04 PM
    If you are having real battery drain issues, and you spend lots of time inside buildings and such, turn OFF the GPS. If you are indoors and it has to search for satelittes that puts a larger drain on the battery, same goes if your phone has to spend much time searching for a signal, major battery drainage.
    01-18-10 09:25 PM
    If you are having real battery drain issues, and you spend lots of time inside buildings and such, turn OFF the GPS. If you are indoors and it has to search for satelittes that puts a larger drain on the battery, same goes if your phone has to spend much time searching for a signal, major battery drainage.
    Isn't it cell tower triangulation that determins GPS and not satellite?

I spent most of today outdoors and near a cell tower. When I got home at 5:30 today I had 3% left which is an all time low. I had a very fast drain until 25% which is when it seemed to level off.

01-18-10 09:38 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD