A friend of mine recently upgraded their bold 9000 to a 9700. Having no need for the 9000, he sold it to me for $60. I do not have att, but i would like to activate the phone and use it without having to go into a contract. So basically what i am wondering is if there is a month to month att plan with blackberry data?

thanks for all the help.
    01-17-10 04:05 AM
    Technically, NO. However I have heard that if you go into a store and are firm with this, you can get a month to month plan with BB data.
    01-17-10 08:14 AM
    Technically, NO. However I have heard that if you go into a store and are firm with this, you can get a month to month plan with BB data.
    I am new to ATT and last week walked out with a 9700 and a data only BB plan. At first they said they don't do that but then another guy jumped in and said they could. I did however purchase a phone that day instead of using my own so I am not sure if that makes a difference or not. I am a month to month contract and can cancel anytime. Just call a corporate store near you and ask. I paid 350 for the phone outright to avoid the contract.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-10 03:10 PM
    As long as you are either bringing in your own device, OR paying full retail for one, there is no contract. If you sight up at the store, the manager will need to put in an override code to remove the contract if it is automatically generated.

01-18-10 08:33 AM
    I am new to ATT and last week walked out with a 9700 and a data only BB plan. At first they said they don't do that but then another guy jumped in and said they could. I did however purchase a phone that day instead of using my own so I am not sure if that makes a difference or not. I am a month to month contract and can cancel anytime. Just call a corporate store near you and ask. I paid 350 for the phone outright to avoid the contract.
    oh wow. thats interesting. how much do you pay monthly?
    01-19-10 11:26 AM
    oh wow. thats interesting. how much do you pay monthly?
    I received my first bill which was pro-rated for 4 days and it was $41 and some change before my discount. This includes unlimited data and 200 txt/pix messages. After discount it will be around $32.

01-19-10 10:14 PM
    Yes, AT&T offers a data only plan for blackberries. Imagine if you were deaf and couldnt use the phone function for calls. Thats what deaf people do...
    01-20-10 01:07 PM
    You can go month to month if you are not buying a device from them. They will not turn down the money for their service usage.
    01-20-10 01:22 PM
    Amazing. I have heard you could do this if you had a connection that worked at ATT. Pretty good deal. Garz is right. They need money. Badly!!!
    01-20-10 01:46 PM
    I know ATT has a bad image and their network can be less than stellar to say the least, but I couldn't be happier with the service I have. Always full signal and tether speeds are close to 2 mb/s down. I live in an area dominated by Verizon so I am thinking the tower nearest me is not heavily used thus resulting in these great speeds. I noticed it does slow down at work which is almost in the city of Detroit. I'm guessing the network is utilized much more in that area and causing the slower speeds. I say, if you are on the fence, give ATT a try. You can always cancel before 30 days although you would have to pay for the service used during that time.
    01-21-10 12:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD