I recently bought a Bold 9700 and am on Tmobile's network. I've had it about two weeks. The battery lasts me about a day and a half. My problem is that once it gets down to about 30% it just shuts off saying that the battery is drained. I've done battery pulls and tried different settings as far as wifi and 3g and i don't have 3rd party apps running. The battery life seems to be ok, it's just that it doesn't last for a whole cycle. Any suggestions would be great.
    01-16-10 08:22 PM
    Maybe the OS isn't reporting it correctly?
    01-16-10 08:24 PM
    Never happened to me so I have no suggestions. BUT, and I know this isn't what you are asking, don't forget to properly close out of all the applications you use as they alway stay open in the background, taking up battery life. Browser, Media, Calendar, everything.
    01-16-10 08:24 PM
    Your problem probably stems from trying go a day and a half on a single charge.

Lithium ion batteries work best if they are charged often. Deep discharges are a
    surefire way to kill the battery or degrade its performance.
    01-16-10 08:35 PM
    amazinglygraceless is right, you should charge fairly often, before the battery drains completely, BUT every now and again you should drain the battery completely. This does not affect your battery life, but adjusts your "battery life measure mechanism".

You find all this information on batteryuniversity.com, but be sure to read only the parts about lithium ion batteries.

Here is the part I referred to:
    Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate. (Read more in 'Choosing the right battery for portable computing', Part Two.)

So according to this, once you have discharged completely, it should work fine again.
    Does your battery continually die at 30%?
    01-16-10 08:46 PM
    How would I get the OS to report it correctly?

Yeah, always right around 30%, it's hard to tell exactly because it just shuts down.
    01-16-10 08:51 PM
    And i've tried to let it discharge all the way down. but it seems to just die around 30%
    01-16-10 08:52 PM
    And I assume you can't power it up again once it died without recharging?
    Depending on where you bought it, you might want to consider bringing it back. You got 12 month manufacturer's warranty on the phone and six month on the battery.

Just had a look and could not find anything in the settings relating to battery shut down, although I vaguely recall having seen something like that, but that might have been in a 3rd party app like shangmail.

You could also try updating your OS if you feel comfortable with the process.
    01-16-10 09:19 PM
    I have 2 batteries I bought on ebay for my 9700. Both of them die when the battery hits 42%. The OEM battery discharges all the way. I just ordered an extended battery from Seidio.
    01-16-10 09:24 PM
    Your problem probably stems from trying go a day and a half on a single charge.

Lithium ion batteries work best if they are charged often. Deep discharges are a
    surefire way to kill the battery or degrade its performance.
    the 9700 lasts 2 days though I go 2 days with it all the time every time and it could almost go a third day the battery life on the 9700 is best smartphone battery life to date at the end of day 2 I sit at 40 percent left with heavy usage
    01-16-10 09:37 PM
    Would a diagnostics test reveal a problem with the battery? Give it a shot. It might answer your quest.
    01-16-10 09:40 PM
    the 9700 lasts 2 days though I go 2 days with it all the time every time and it could almost go a third day the battery life on the 9700 is best smartphone battery life to date at the end of day 2 I sit at 40 percent left with heavy usage
    The fact that it CAN last 2 days irrelevant with respect to best practices.
    Best practices dictates that the battery be charged often and not deep
    discharged. There is no getting around that fact.
    01-16-10 10:24 PM
    i had the same problem. abrupt shut off when battery reached 30% with no warning. was driving me nuts not to get a warning, so i was constantly checking the battery status to know when I'd need a charge. Ended up upgrading OS to v5.0.0.405 (latest avail for bold on blackberry site today). i'm now staring at a blackberry with 20% battery and the battery level indicator is red - actually indicating that it needs a charge! wooooooohooooo!
    01-28-10 11:18 AM
    I have been having this problem for over 2 months and it drives me nuts!!! The battery gets down to 2 bars and then just shuts off, dead kaput!!! Its gotta be OS related, or my phone itself is faulty cause I switched out the battery for a new one and the same thing keeps happening. It was mentioned above that there is a one year warranty on this phone, do I need to go to RIM or to my carrier to pursue that?
    02-02-10 05:46 PM
    Hi pls I'm having exactly the same problem as well my battery just dies like clockwork at 30%, I was using OS 5.0.0.593 which I thought was the problem, but even after downgrading to OS 5.0.0.586, it just happened again. Is this primarily as OS issue, Battery or my Phone is just unwell.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    10-15-10 02:02 PM
    I do have same problem. When my battery reach 30%, it will have ? sudden dead. When i plug in the charger, i look on status, it's 1% battery. Damn, am i do something wrong? I use 1014.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-10 08:46 AM
    I am also having the same problem.... has anyone come up with a viable solution to this? is it OS related?
    01-15-11 12:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD