I have had my bold since May 09
    And I have never done a software etc update....
    Should I do one? I'm not having any problems at all except with BBM. But I think that's not my phone's fault. That's RIM lately.

I just wanted to know should I update? And I remember once I did try to update and it just jammed my phone. I had my brother sort it out.

Is an update a must?

Thank you
    01-14-10 01:38 PM
    No it is not a must. If your phone functions the way you expect it to you can stay
    where you are. Honestly, you'll need to decide if it is worth it or not.

I used to do every update as soon as they came out and by and large found that
    it really was no different than the OS I was using prior. I have stopped updating
    at 4.6.0.315 until AT&T releases an official 5.0.
    01-14-10 02:52 PM
    Thank you so much for that. I was worried for a moment.

01-14-10 03:06 PM
    I think the best advice to give is to browse the beta/hybrid forums and read some of the reviews of the OS coming down the pike. Ultimately the only way you'll know if you should update is to go ahead and do it and see.

We can tell you how cold the water is, each in our own way, but you'll never know til you jump.
    01-14-10 03:24 PM
    nevermind -
    Last edited by psiclne; 01-15-10 at 01:44 AM.
    01-15-10 01:41 AM
    No it is not a must. If your phone functions the way you expect it to you can stay
    where you are. Honestly, you'll need to decide if it is worth it or not.

I used to do every update as soon as they came out and by and large found that
    it really was no different than the OS I was using prior. I have stopped updating
    at 4.6.0.315 until AT&T releases an official 5.0.
    Totally agree.
    01-15-10 04:38 AM
    Agraceless is right. I too am waiting for official ATT release. Until then 4.6 is just fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-10 07:11 AM
    I always want to try a new update

01-15-10 07:50 AM
    I always like to keep everything up to date.
    01-15-10 02:14 PM
    I have a friend on 4.6.0.162 (Rogers) and has no serious bugs or disappointments with her device. She wouldn't mind threaded SMS (5.0 only I assume) but its not a serious deal.

Same question as the OP... Should I bother to encourage her to upgrade? If so, to what? Stability is the important issue here but are there "obvious" releases since .162 that should be done without any sacrifices?
    Last edited by SeptemberWasp; 01-15-10 at 04:58 PM. Reason: added provider
    01-15-10 04:35 PM
    There's no huge wow factor with the upgrade, if that's what you might be expecting. Threaded SMS is cool, pics load much much faster, and the phone boots up much faster (and without the lengthy media card scan time that those of us with 8 or 16 GB cards full of stuff had suffered). There are some menu changes and other tweaks, such as to Profiles, but truth be told, the overall experience of the phone is really no different than when I was on 4.6.0.167 a year ago.

01-15-10 11:16 PM
    im on 4.6.0.282. i have not upgrade since that one. and since im a mac user, ill need to find a friend with windows to let me upgrade. i really can't believe macs can't do this. what a shame it really is. we have a blackberry desktop manager for mac. but we can't do an o.s upgrade with it. whats up with that??

anyway, don't think upgrading is always a cool factor. some upgrades may be buggy and may ruin your device. its better to be cautious. and always read what others have to say regarding the new o.s on the block.
    01-15-10 11:50 PM
    There's no huge wow factor with the upgrade, if that's what you might be expecting. Threaded SMS is cool, pics load much much faster, and the phone boots up much faster (and without the lengthy media card scan time that those of us with 8 or 16 GB cards full of stuff had suffered). There are some menu changes and other tweaks, such as to Profiles, but truth be told, the overall experience of the phone is really no different than when I was on 4.6.0.167 a year ago.

I have to disagree. Everytime I update to an OS with significant changes, it always feels like a new phone.
    01-16-10 03:14 PM
    Just the fact that my pictures would load much faster is a plus to me. I have seen Emkwan's youtube spot and the newest Os looks pretty well worth the upgrade to me.
    01-17-10 03:21 AM
    I like 5.0.0.411, I think it was way more functional than 4.6.
    01-17-10 02:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD