We have 3 different types of BlackBerrys on our server,
    Sprint 8830, 8330 and 9630s.

Our 8830s and 8330s are now unable to open PDFs and PPT files.

We can send an email with a PDF attachment to multiple devices, some can open the file, some can't- the ones that can't, get the large ? in the middle of the screen.

For example, I sent a PDF to three 8830s and a 9630. One of the 8830s could open the and the 9630 could open the file, but the other two 8830s could not open it. All three 8830s have the same firmware version. All three have the same add-on software. We are not using Documents To Go.

We have tried removing and reinstalling the BlackBerry Attachment service via the Desktop Manager, did not work.

We have tried resending Service Books, did not work.

We have tried removing completely from the BES and re-adding, did not work.

Obviously, we have tried hard resets, bounced the server, etc.

The BlackBerry Attachment Service on the BES is running and it seems the majority of our useres can open these files, but we have probably about a dozen known devices that now can't (and previously could.)

Time frame seems to be from when we upgraded to the BES 5.0 (now v5.0.1.58). We are on a VM with Windows Server 2003 R2, Exchange 2003 (4 storage groups, 3 mail stores), SQL Server v2005 Enterprise.

ANY SUGGESTIONS - PLEASE ADVISE! Thanks everyone!
    01-14-10 09:15 AM
    What device OS are the 8830's and 8330's running?

In your log file directory on the BES look at the log files that have the letters ACNV & ASRV, that would be the first place to start. Now for a technical understanding of those, you may need to go to RIM for that depending on what they say.

If you don't have those log files, you need to enable "Extended Logging" which I'm not sure were that option is on BES 5. Might need to go out to RIM's support site to find that, I'm just now getting started with BES 5.0

ACNV = BlackBerry Attachment Conversion
    ASRV = BlackBerry Attachment Service

Chances are the BES is timing out retrieving the documents from the email server, converting them and sending it to the devices. Why? there could be many reasons such a wireless coverage of the device, document size and many other issues. Also it might be the version of PDF or PPT ??
    01-14-10 05:32 PM
    Thanks for the reply!

I have just changed the ACNV and ASRV to the "Debug" Log Level (Servers and components > BlackBerry Doman > Component View > Logging > server name > Logging details > Edit instance).

I will see what the log now provides regarding the attachment service.

The document size, etc shouldn't be an issue because some BlackBerrys do open the same test documents we've created for this issue.

Also, to add confusion to the issue, yesterday a few people who couldn't open PDFs before could open them and a few people that could open PDFs before (on a Tour) were now unable to open PDFs.

I will continue to update this so others may benefit from the many many hours I've put in to this issue we're having.

Thanks again,

Jeff

What device OS are the 8830's and 8330's running?

In your log file directory on the BES look at the log files that have the letters ACNV & ASRV, that would be the first place to start. Now for a technical understanding of those, you may need to go to RIM for that depending on what they say.

If you don't have those log files, you need to enable "Extended Logging" which I'm not sure were that option is on BES 5. Might need to go out to RIM's support site to find that, I'm just now getting started with BES 5.0

ACNV = BlackBerry Attachment Conversion
    ASRV = BlackBerry Attachment Service

Chances are the BES is timing out retrieving the documents from the email server, converting them and sending it to the devices. Why? there could be many reasons such a wireless coverage of the device, document size and many other issues. Also it might be the version of PDF or PPT ??
    01-15-10 08:40 AM
    Those two log files should provide some insight the what's happening, now that you are logging such, you will have to wade though it to figure out what's normal and what's not.

Usually what I do in cases like this, I get the user on another phone line and have them try the operation in question since the logs can get lengthy and complex with much info not related to the problem in question, then I look at the end of the log to find it quicker.

The trick in diagnosing BES problems are knowing what log files pertain to what operation and from there it's get's fairly easy to see the problem, fixing is another issue.....
    01-15-10 09:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD