I will say this once again. The Storm 2 is yesterdays news compared to the droid. The Droid for a lack of better words is a mini computer in the pocket. It's just to good in many ways.

With the Dolphin Browser, I feel that the Droid is like my laptop! It's that fast.
    01-13-10 06:01 PM
    The Storm 2 was never news to begin with. I think I have seen maybe 4 commercials for it in total, and that's when the device was basically just released. I think Verizon knows that device (just like the first gen Storm) screams fail. That's why they put all their marketing behind the Droid and a lot also towards the Eris. I barely see BB commercials anymore anyways. There is nothing new to show.
    01-13-10 07:32 PM
    The droid is buggy. This is just my opinion. Actually all android devices I've used are buggy and unstable. This is just my opinion. I chose a 9700. It rocks.
    01-13-10 07:37 PM
    I don't think I've ever seen a commercial for the Storm 2..

I'd be interested to try one though if my contract didn't have another year and a half
    01-13-10 07:55 PM
    The droid is buggy. This is just my opinion. Actually all android devices I've used are buggy and unstable. This is just my opinion. I chose a 9700. It rocks.

maybe the very 1st android based device was buggy but the droid is not buggy what so ever.

if anything the blackberry (all of them) are extrememly buggy compared to any android based phone or device.

cmon having to do 2 or 3 battery pulls a day on a blackberry just to make it run half way decent isnt buggy?
    01-13-10 09:00 PM
    zyiro, I have used the MyTouch 3G, G1, HTC Droid and Moto Droid. I admit I am not a touch screen fan. I admit I am not a fan of the standard android UI. That being said, I get that somebody who does like all those things would not like what I like. I also get that the experience between the android software and BB is way different. But, I have a 9700. It is amazing. Your Droid might be amazing to you which I get and appreciate, but the 9700 is not your daddy's BB. You know what I mean? I have never pulled the battery. I have owned the phone for 2 months. It is freaking awesome.
    01-13-10 09:09 PM

I gotta agree. The phone is not perfect but it is by far the best phone I've ever owned. I've had issues where my Droid resets itself or freezes suddenly but not too frequent to the point where it gets annoying. Android OS hasn't been out that long so I'm sure it will only get better
    01-13-10 09:23 PM
    zyiro, I have used the MyTouch 3G, G1, HTC Droid and Moto Droid. I admit I am not a touch screen fan. I admit I am not a fan of the standard android UI. That being said, I get that somebody who does like all those things would not like what I like. I also get that the experience between the android software and BB is way different. But, I have a 9700. It is amazing. Your Droid might be amazing to you which I get and appreciate, but the 9700 is not your daddy's BB. You know what I mean? I have never pulled the battery. I have owned the phone for 2 months. It is freaking awesome.

ive had just about every blackberry since the 5820 including the 9700 and its no different then the rest. Dont get me wrong i love(ed) blackberry and it will always have a place in my heart. I just got tired of the whole "wait for the next one it will be better" additude that everyone has hoping the next one around the corner will be better when in fact its not. Blackberry has made minimal changes since OS 2.x. You can sit down and use a 2.x based device then use a 5.x based device and pretty much everything is the same.(menu's, looks, settings, ETC...) Sure if it werent for blackberry i dont think the smartphone market would be what it is today.

would i go back to a berry now.... not as a personal device our until they trash the current OS and bring out something completely different and not java based. I would by all means use one as a buisness device without a doubt but only on BES as BIS sucks.

Right now my main problem with RIM is there too busy re-releasing all of their mistakes(devices) rather then trying to be the innovative company they once were. If they would put half the effort into a new device that they have attempting to fix all their failures they might have a solid flaship device that makes people sit back and say wow RIM is on to something.

I think android works so well for me is the fact that everything i use is google based... GMail, Google Calendar, Google Docs... ETC i use them all for personal and to run my company so it fits in very well in all aspects of my life. Ill admit its not for everyone especially for those that dont use any/all of the google integration.

okay im done ranting for now.
    01-13-10 10:32 PM
    ive had just about every blackberry since the 5820 including the 9700 and its no different then the rest. Dont get me wrong i love(ed) blackberry and it will always have a place in my heart. I just got tired of the whole "wait for the next one it will be better" additude that everyone has hoping the next one around the corner will be better when in fact its not. Blackberry has made minimal changes since OS 2.x. You can sit down and use a 2.x based device then use a 5.x based device and pretty much everything is the same.(menu's, looks, settings, ETC...) Sure if it werent for blackberry i dont think the smartphone market would be what it is today.

would i go back to a berry now.... not as a personal device our until they trash the current OS and bring out something completely different and not java based. I would by all means use one as a buisness device without a doubt but only on BES as BIS sucks.

Right now my main problem with RIM is there too busy re-releasing all of their mistakes(devices) rather then trying to be the innovative company they once were. If they would put half the effort into a new device that they have attempting to fix all their failures they might have a solid flaship device that makes people sit back and say wow RIM is on to something.

I think android works so well for me is the fact that everything i use is google based... GMail, Google Calendar, Google Docs... ETC i use them all for personal and to run my company so it fits in very well in all aspects of my life. Ill admit its not for everyone especially for those that dont use any/all of the google integration.

okay im done ranting for now.
    those are my sentiments exactly!
    01-14-10 11:50 AM
    It is what I have always said until RIM dumps the JAVA platform they will always suck. Linux (whatever flavor you choose) is the new platform for phones.
    01-14-10 11:53 AM
    Unstable?
    01-14-10 11:55 AM
    Yea, no idea what the person means by unstable. The only problems I have had have been with apps, not the actual Android OS.
    01-14-10 04:13 PM
    Actually all android devices I've used are buggy and unstable.
    This comment is outrageous. Buggy and unstable? LOL come on.........
    01-14-10 04:18 PM
    Buggy? This is the best smart phone I've ever owned. And I've owned just about all of them. No problems here with mine.
    01-14-10 05:30 PM
    Unstable? Unstable? Really... you can't even compare the DROID to a BB, any BB for that fact. BB and RIM are stuck an can't seem to put out anything new and or improved. Take the storm 2 for example... nothing new, nothing. What is to make me think that this tour 2 is going to be anything to get excited about? I either my Asia for the DROID and haven't looked back once.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-10 07:29 PM
    If the Droid had a better physical keyboard, I think I'd be pretty much sold. A few other issues I have with it, but, if I could type and text edit easier, I'd be just dandy working around the rest.

On a whole, it seems pretty stable. I believe most issues I encounter are somewhat crapfully developed apps.
    01-14-10 07:34 PM
    I don't want to get the Storm 2 users upset but the truth needs to be told and sometimes it hurts. Don't get me wrong, I think the Storm 2 is a decent Blackberry but come on RIM...what were you thinking? I would never tell anyone who is happy with the Storm 1 to waste an upgrade to a 2. I don't care what Salomandorin said back in the day when he had the stage. The Storm 2 is just so bland compared to the Droid.

Here's something for you: My daughter's science class had a guest speaker who had a Droid. This teacher told the kids that basically it's a mini computer in a pocket. This is exactly what I have been saying about the Droid since I got it. I just don't buy into this push e-mail nonsense that everyone keeps harping on and also the poor texting they claim to have on the Droid. I would bet my last dollor that 80 percent of BB users don't even need e-mail. Lastly, for the first time ever, I feel that I am getting the most bang for my buck when it comes to the data package. I surf the web more then ever and I use Youtubes daily while working out. The Droid is just pure pleasure and just think, it's going to get better.
    01-14-10 11:04 PM
    agreed, the Storm 2 was what the Storm should've been when it came out in 08 but that's it. I looked at the Storm 2 when it came out but it just didn't wow me and the no matter how many I tried, the screen just felt weird. Overall, I was probably one of the few that was happy with the performance of the original. Never had any screen click issues and the only problems I had were RIM related (memory leaks, battery pulls, BIS/bbm outages, poor internet browsing experience, etc). It just wasn't worth the upgrade for the same device. I've said it before but the Storm is your old girlfriend and the Storm 2 is her sister that looks the same, wears a ton of makeup and stuffs her bra.

The Droid isn't a perfect phone and has it's quirks but it's better than anything RIM has out right now and works great. My gmail and work exchange account are pushed instantly and I don't have to worry about RIM network outages. If you don't work for a company that uses BES or one that requires a blackberry, you'd be silly to get a blackberry other than trying to look important.
    01-15-10 08:54 AM
    This comment is outrageous. Buggy and unstable? LOL come on.........
    This right here proves they have never used the device an are making things up. If you honestly think the Droid is buggy and unstable then it was all user error.

Apps can be buggy and unstable, but not Android.
    01-15-10 11:42 AM
    agreed, the Storm 2 was what the Storm should've been when it came out in 08 but that's it. I looked at the Storm 2 when it came out but it just didn't wow me and the no matter how many I tried, the screen just felt weird. ... It just wasn't worth the upgrade for the same device. I've said it before but the Storm is your old girlfriend and the Storm 2 is her sister that looks the same, wears a ton of makeup and stuffs her bra.

... If you don't work for a company that uses BES or one that requires a blackberry, you'd be silly to get a blackberry other than trying to look important.
    Wow! Bitter much?

Look, it's different strokes for different folks. It seems nowadays that most consumers' idea of a "smart phone" is a device they can use to surf the web and play stupid games. Take away all the game "apps" and how much productivity stuff do you have left? Slim to none, especially when it comes to the iPhone. That's just not the point of a BB. It wasn't designed for websurfing, finding bars, movies and restaurants, or any of that garbage. It's #1 purpose is to be a business tool; an extension of the office. And for that, there is no better device. Palm used to the THE device to have back in the day. But then they jumped on the "gee-whiz, look at me! " bandwagon and strayed from they're roots. Now look at them. Does anybody even think "Palm" when they consider a smart phone? Not many.

Nobody does business phones better than BB. They're sticking to their roots. How can you fault a company for that? Anybody here old enough to remember when Coca Cola changed it's formula then had to bring out Coca Cola Classic to counter the huge consumer revolt? That's what happens when you change something (for the worse) that doesn't need to be changed.

You guys seem to have no business sense whatsoever. The Storm had issues when it came out. RIM acknowledged it and came out with the Storm2. What does everyone say about it? "The Storm2 is what the Storm should've been." And that's an insult because...? RIM took what it had, streamlined it, and made it better. They didn't make the dumb move of abandoning what was already in place (and fixable) to go off in left field with something all new without having learned a single thing from the mistakes.

And you guys are making major compromises just because the DROID has a snazzy web browser and it's new?! The physical keyboard is just dreadful. From what I hear, the calendar functions leave much to be desired. I'm seeing lots of threads about the screen freezing and randomly opening apps. Battery life is bad. I could go on. I'll stop with the fact that you guys keep discounting the email functionality. You preach that "all you have to do is this step, this step, this step, this step, this step, and this step" and "most" of your emails will get to you. Oooo! Ahhhh! Wow! I can get "most" of my emails. With BB, I give it my email address and password and I'm DONE. I don't have to send my email on a five city concert tour and hope it comes to a city near me so I can get it. LOL! The BB calendar functions are amazing! And don't even get me started on all the stuff you can do with the Contacts list: link to Facebook and Yahoo, link IM and email contacts to my address book, keep birthdays, anniversaries, notes, freeform fields, etc. for each contact, and so on and so on. My BB lets me set photos and ringtones for each contact. I can set different IM alerts for individual contacts. It just goes on and on.

A great many of you simply discount BBs without even really delving into the capabilities of the device. Seems all you want is something you can surf the web and play games with that fits in your pocket. Well, guess what. A PSP can do that, and it has WiFi. No data plan required.

/end rant
    01-15-10 11:57 AM
    You should probably quit believing everything that you read. Gmail and exchange is easy to set up and it isn't hard to replace your daily email with a gmail account. Battery life is great and most of those freezing issues and whatnot are most likely 3rd party app related. Like I said, the droid has it's quirks but that doesn't mess up the functionality of the phone.

And RIM is beginning to fail in their business market also. Email email email. That's all you here about blackberries and even that's a fail. Did you happen to hear of all the mass email outages? That's not good for businesses who depend on email but aren't willing to drop money in the overpriced BES system. Android corporate email/calendar support could be better but it's perfectly functional now for day to day use with no added cost. We had about 25 blackberries here at work. 5 of those have been dumped for Palm Pre's with nothing but open arms. Battery life isn't that great and the keyboard is blah but it beats blackberry hands down
    01-15-10 12:12 PM
    But why would I want to replace my email with a Gmail account? With BB, I don't have to compromise and replace anything. BlackBerries are business devices, full stop, end of story. They aren't pocket gameboys, netbooks, web surfing devices, or any other time wasting trinket that the coffeehouse types love. It is for B-U-S-I-N-E-S-S. Businesses these days rely heavily on their employees being able to get and respond to that important email on the spot. They rely on employees being able to keep a complex yet reliable calendar. Speaking of which, that's one other thing I forgot to add about the calendar feature, you can affix conference call numbers and codes to the calendar and dial directly into a conference from the calendar entry. Again, BBs are business devices, not "Oo! Look at the neat tilt-a-whirl game I just downloaded!" or "Check out this awesome Youtube video I just saw!" devices.

They... Are... For... Business!!! If consumers are looking for an entertainment device, it'd be a much smarter move to get the cheap free phones that come with some plans and then buy a Nintendo DS or PSP to save on the costs of a data plan. All these other so-called smart phone entries are nothing more than look-what-I-can-do-like-a-BlackBerry devices.

BlackBerry has time-waster apps mainly to give business folks something to do in between tasks. Although, I must embarrassingly concede that there are a buttload of "themes" available for BBs. And they're all nothing but crappy, resource hogging, crap apps. There's even an Android theme!
    Last edited by tayl0rd; 01-15-10 at 12:51 PM.
    01-15-10 12:48 PM
    For business eh? RIM sold 10.1 million blackberries last quarter and had 4.4 million new subscribers. About 80% of all blackberries were sold to non-corporate customers. RIM will need to change a lot to keep up that trend. The Droid and iphone are toys and blackberries are strictly business devices. Lots of misconceptions there.
    01-15-10 01:03 PM
    I don't get what you're driving at. Just because they weren't sold to corporate customers (read: businesses) doesn't mean they aren't used for business. My company provides BBs, yet I bought my own and use it for business purposes as well as personal. In fact, the notifications of your responses are being successfully pushed out to my BB. And I actually have my laptop tethered to my BB and am using it as a broadband modem as I type this. Can the DROID do that? (Though there is an app in beta for the DROID to do it, too.)
    01-15-10 01:25 PM
    Droid does all the stuff you've been raving about on your berry with no memory leaks, battery pulls, email outages or praying for os updates. Droid doesn't do copy/paste well, allow corporate email signatures with native app, allow meeting invites to be accepted into the calendar, access to secured activesync but there's an app for that. Only thing Droid can't really do with help is BBM.
    01-15-10 01:35 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD