US Cellular has Assurant insurance. My tour got orange juice spilt in it. The screen works but none of the buttons do. Will they send me a POS Refurb that doesnt even say blackberry?
    01-13-10 07:03 AM
    You'll most likely get a refurb. It will be a real BB though. I'm not really sure what you mean.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-10 09:17 AM
    last year when i called on my pearl, they sent me a phone that didnt even say blackberry on it.
    01-13-10 09:20 AM
    The logos are missing on after market or refurb housing parts. Shouldn't affect operation if the phone was rebuilt properly.

01-13-10 09:27 AM
    yeah but the phone was a POS.
    01-13-10 10:12 AM
    I believe that all refurbs are sent back to RIM to get rebuilt and certified, then sent back to the carrier to send off for insurance claims... It's my understanding that they replace almost all components of the phone, making it almost brand new... You shouldn't have any issues with a refurb.

The Pearl that you got the one time, did you get it thru the insurance program?
    01-13-10 10:43 AM
    yeah but that was when USCC went through The Signal insurance, its now Assurant.
    01-13-10 10:47 AM
    I think refurb's have come a long way, you should be fine
    01-13-10 11:01 AM
    thanks you guys!
    01-13-10 02:00 PM
    how about my apps ive paid for through app world? will i get those back? how so? thanks
    01-13-10 02:01 PM
    US Cellular has Assurant insurance.
    the signal is still the administrative component of us cellular's device insurance. assurant solutions companies is the underwriter. your replacement phone will come back in the signal's packaging.
    01-13-10 02:38 PM
    how about my apps ive paid for through app world? will i get those back? how so? thanks
    This question please
    01-13-10 08:21 PM
    WHen you get your replacement device, login to your paypal account though appworld. The pay for apps will list and you can install them
    01-13-10 08:23 PM
    I believe that all refurbs are sent back to RIM to get rebuilt and certified, then sent back to the carrier to send off for insurance claims... It's my understanding that they replace almost all components of the phone, making it almost brand new... You shouldn't have any issues with a refurb.

The Pearl that you got the one time, did you get it thru the insurance program?
    Well, the replacement I received is a RIM refurb unit, and says so on the brown generic box it was shipped in, and had some FRU# (i assume that stands for factory refurb unit)... Now, on the return label to send my other Tour back it says it's going to a NEW BREED CORPORATION in Texas. I think they're a private company that repairs all sorts of phones basically, and sources those out to Asurion or whatever.

who knows! I just wondered why my other Tour wasn't being sent back to RIM....
    01-13-10 08:35 PM
    Well, the replacement I received is a RIM refurb unit, and says so on the brown generic box it was shipped in, and had some FRU# (i assume that stands for factory refurb unit)... Now, on the return label to send my other Tour back it says it's going to a NEW BREED CORPORATION in Texas. I think they're a private company that repairs all sorts of phones basically, and sources those out to Asurion or whatever.

who knows! I just wondered why my other Tour wasn't being sent back to RIM....
    was yours stamped with the blackberry logos?
    01-13-10 08:53 PM
    was yours stamped with the blackberry logos?
    Yes, has the BlackBerry logo, and also the usual Verizon one under the spacebar button.
    01-13-10 08:56 PM
    when i got my curve jacked on new years and called the ppl they sent me a world edition phone....which sucked....no camera no MMS and it didnt even have the internet browser on it so i called and they had me do something and i asked y i dindt get another curve back...they said they didnt have any instock so they sent the closest thing to it...it did have the VZW and all the logos on it...looked brand new....they even told me it was a better phone then the curve they said i can send it back for an extra $20 wtf why should i have to pay that if they sent me the wrong phone...so i said ill keep it...i get up upgrade in a few months i can live with out the camera but they were able to get the browser on there so i was happy about that...so next day i go to charge it...the charge port is loose like really loose...and you ahve to leave it in one place to charge and will slip out if u move it in any way and it took more than 12 hours to charge and it dindt even charge all the way so the next day i take it to VZW since that last time this happened they repalced right away so i take it in they look at it..and since they dont make that phone anymore they were gonna let me use my early upgrade (i had my gf buy me a cover for the world edition the day i got my phone in the mail....and when she asked for them they kinda laughed and told her its an old phone and here i was thinking i got a better phone than my curve) so once i told them that's what assurion sent me they said to call them and have them replace my phone or have them refund my 50 bucks and what not....so i must say im a proud owner of a tour and i love it and i only had to play 50 bucks since i got the refund and an earlly upgrade....so i agree assurion do send you POS phones sometimes u get lucky and get a new one
    01-14-10 11:47 PM
    Asurion must've really lowered their standards. I worked for a company years ago that refurbished phones for them and if one phone wasn't right they'd send back the whole skid to reinspected. All the phones had to be perfect. Now it seems as long as it does something its ok.
    After having seen firsthand who they hire to do the refurb work and the standard that its done to I wouldn't want a refurb. If its done by a competent tech and inspected properly when done there will be nothing wrong with a refurb. But they'll hire anyone off the street that can hold a screwdriver to work on these things. I'd be more afraid that the phone has liquid damage inside more than anything else. No amount of QC will catch it unless the phone is disassembled or it malfunctions causing the need for further investigation. They try to reuse as much of the components as they can but this isn't always the best policy. Some of the ribbons inside cell phones are very delicate and can damage in a way you cannot see by eye. Sadly some of the people couldn't solder to save themselves.
    This is not to say that there aren't people out there that know how to do a good refurb. I know several individuals that are really good at it. But they are out numbered by the ones who can't. Also the companies doing this type of work don't want to pay the talented folks enough money to stay working for them to produce a quality product. So as far as a good refurb you got a 50/50 chance of a good one.

01-15-10 04:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD