I know verizon has a history of crippling many of their phones for things such as bluetooth. So i was wondering if Verizon has crippled anything on the 8330 besides the GPS feature (requiring you to use VZNavigator)?
    06-03-08 01:01 AM
    Verizon blows

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-08 09:43 AM
    Verizon blows

CRSO - thank you for your mature and intuitive response.
    06-03-08 10:07 AM
    Just the GPS on the Curve. Verizon's crippling practice is something that you have to worry more about when it comes to standard feature phones, like the enV or Voyager. They use that same crappy VZW UI on all of them and they will block certain features. Their smartphones are pretty much free of this, except when it pertains to GPS.
    06-03-08 10:09 AM
    I have verizon and I like the service. I do not have an answer to your question though but I hope someone can help.

06-03-08 10:10 AM
    Do they limit file transfer through bluetooth?
    06-03-08 10:27 AM
    Do they limit file transfer through bluetooth?

I have not seen any mention of OBEX. Can anyone identify if the curve has OBEX functionality?
    06-03-08 11:15 AM
    I have not seen any mention of OBEX. Can anyone identify if the curve has OBEX functionality?
    Nope. No OBEX. From the verizonwireless website:
    The RIM BlackBerry� 8330 supports the following Bluetooth profiles: Headset, Hands–free, Serial Port. It does not support object exchange (OBEX) profiles.
    06-03-08 11:27 AM
    bummer...they should def get on that

but verizon likes to do things their own way and make us wait
    06-03-08 11:30 AM
    bummer...they should def get on that

but verizon likes to do things their own way and make us wait
    I don't think that is the reason, my Curve is an AT&T device and does not seem to support OBEX, if I am wrong about this, someone please correct me, I can take correction. I was trying to get a ringtone from my brother-in-law when I was in Jamaica and had no luck.
    Last edited by mynameismatrix; 06-03-08 at 01:26 PM.
    06-03-08 12:39 PM
    I have no idea what OBEX is. From what I just read it basically transfer over IR or bluetooth?

06-03-08 12:54 PM
    Yeah the only thing they cripple is the gps. You have to pay for the vzw service to get the gps. Other than that nothing else. The service is far more superior to the other providers and I know this because I have had all the different services at one time or another and verizon is the best.

06-03-08 01:39 PM
    thanks but no one here asked about how good ur service is...
    06-03-08 01:54 PM
    thanks but no one here asked about how good ur service is...
    Geez, lighten up!

Anyways, besides GPS the only thing Verizon is crippling is my wallet.

Semper Fi,

~Marine39
    06-03-08 02:25 PM
    Verizon blows

That about sums it up and I completely agree.
    06-03-08 02:34 PM
    verizon is the best and most expensive.

Fixed
    06-03-08 02:38 PM
    Yea u get what you pay for

06-03-08 02:43 PM
    Yea u get what you pay for

Not always. Carrier coverage is subject to area, and none of them can claim to be the best everywhere. I used to have Verizon, but I am currently with At&t, and I enjoy virtually identical coverage between the two where I live, and I pay less with At&t.
    06-03-08 04:13 PM
    I can't disagree that in some areas, coverage quality will be identical. However, from my experience with my friends, my verizon call quality has yet to be inferior to that of at&t or cingular.

Furthermore, to my understanding, the mobile internet speed on verizon is faster than that of at&t or cingular. I am a former customer of both aforementioned carriers and the quality I have experienced since my switch to verizon more than justifies the premium that I pay.

I will say that my only complaints are the VZ restrictions that they put on their phones and the archaic models that we are subject to.

06-03-08 04:21 PM
    I can't disagree that in some areas, coverage quality will be identical. However, from my experience with my friends, my verizon call quality has yet to be inferior to that of at&t or cingular.

Furthermore, to my understanding, the mobile internet speed on verizon is faster than that of at&t or cingular. I am a former customer of both aforementioned carriers and the quality I have experienced since my switch to verizon more than justifies the premium that I pay.

I will say that my only complaints are the VZ restrictions that they put on their phones and the archaic models that we are subject to.

EVDO is faster than EDGE, but it is not faster than HSDPA, which is what the Bold will use for data. Assuming you are in a 3G coverage area that is.
    06-03-08 11:23 PM
    i filed a complaint on planetfeedback.com and a higher up vzw boss called me back and explaned to me whhy they cripple the gps. they do it for supposedly "security and privacy reasons" she stated. she said they get many complaints or as she stated "feedback" about this issue and even tho the feedback is negitive they are not planning on changing things in the near future which is crap. the only gps that works for me even with vzw nav d/led and activated on my acct is vzw nav. google maps shows the closest tower as my location. vzw is the best service i have ever had though. it far outranks att in my location. i can hold my att phone beside my vzw phone and go to one area of the house and not have any signal (thats gsm for you) but vzw is a good solid signal and fast data transfer. i can't even get 3g here with my att phone. only in "city areas". sorry to go off topic.
    06-04-08 01:44 AM
    Yeah the only thing they cripple is the gps. You have to pay for the vzw service to get the gps. Other than that nothing else. The service is far more superior to the other providers and I know this because I have had all the different services at one time or another and verizon is the best.

To each their own... I've had all and pretty much at the same time (yes, stupid with money) and AT&T has been the best for me.

Verizon barely worked in my friend's basement or at my 2nd job in a mall (Palisades, bestuy!)

T-mobile... pfft. Neither of my jobs, nor home.

Sprint... pretty good most places, except certain parkways/freeways where I'd drop calls. Also Rt 9W on my way to my son, drop calls!

Nextel... well that's Nextel. No need to tell you about them. You already know.

Now in your area, your usage, may have Verizon beating everyone.

06-04-08 02:27 AM
    Bla Bla this horse is dead let's end it now and get away from here before it starts to smell...
    06-04-08 02:35 AM
    Bla Bla this horse is dead let's end it now and get away from here before it starts to smell...
    Most Definately.
    06-21-08 08:07 PM
    I couldn't agree more!
    06-21-08 08:25 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD