Not sure if anybody else posted this..but i was reading and it turns out google charge a ETF along with Tmobile?

WTF: Google Charging Nexus One ETF In ADDITION To Carrier ETF | Android Phone Fans
    01-12-10 01:47 PM
    Wow!

That's crazy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-10 01:58 PM
    your right, but i wouldnt mess with the phone at all now
    01-12-10 02:12 PM
    Not sure if anybody else posted this..but i was reading and it turns out google charge a ETF along with Tmobile?

WTF: Google Charging Nexus One ETF In ADDITION To Carrier ETF | Android Phone Fans
    Not a great selling point, that's for sure....
    01-12-10 02:32 PM
    I'm not going to buy one thank god.
    01-12-10 02:40 PM
    This is no different than buying a phone/service through Amazon or some other third party.

There is almost always a second ETF because the 3rd party doesn't get their kickback from the service provider if the service is cancelled.
    01-12-10 02:47 PM
    That's bad that google also charges a fee. Typically when we buy a phone at a subsidized price, we are in contract with the company that provides our phone service and if we cancel the service, they charge us a fee. If I signed up for service and then cancelled, I shouldn't owe google anything because they should be getting money from Tmobile (which is how we get the sub prices). It seems that 1 of 2 things are happening here

1. Google isn't getting that much from Tmobile on phones purchased at the sub prices.
    2. Google is double dipping by getting money from Tmobile on the sub phones and then charging another fee to the customer who cancelled service.

That's crap because you only have 2 weeks (unless you live in CA or another country) to return the device. You can be 5 weeks into your contract and realize tmobile stinks and cancel your contract. No way they should get away with this.
    01-12-10 04:01 PM
    Google isn't charging you an ETF, they're charging you an equipment recovery fee if you don't meet the terms of the agreement you made with them when you purchased the phone.

According to reports on the web Google isn't getting anything from T-Mobile until the 120 day threshold is met. If anyone is the bad guy here it's T-Mobile for charging you their ETF of up to $200.

Every third party reseller has similar terms when you purchase from them. Take a look at the Wirefly terms. Notice for a period of 6 months and 1 day you can't make any changes to the account you obtained from them

When you sign up for wireless carrier service through Wirefly, we discount your phone purchase price by an Equipment Discount amount ranging from $200 to $300. By ordering through Wirefly, you agree to repay this discount if, during the 181 days after your new equipment is activated, if you:

Fail to pay your balance due to your carrier each month
    Disconnect this line of service
    Transfer this equipment to another line of service
    Change your carrier service rate plan to a lower monthly service rate plan
    Deactivate the email/data feature if one was required at the point of purchase
    Transfer/port an existing phone number from another account if this is a new line of service
    Replace an existing account with this account if this is a new line of service
    Return or exchange your phone and it is not in its original, new condition with no more than 30 minutes of usage
    If you break any of these contract provisions, except as a result of a documented service quality issue related to the carrier service, you authorize us to charge your credit card in repayment of the Equipment Discount.
    I do agree that 14 days is hardly enough time to evaluate a phone, that's one reason I won't give up my California number, as long as I have that I'm entitled to my 30 day return period.
    01-12-10 04:54 PM
    there not the 1st ones to do this.

i know letstalk.com does this as well

if you buy a phone with them to start a new line or as an upgrade the network will charge you an ETF and your required to cover the difference to letstalk.com if you cancel within the 1st 120 days.

this is nothing new, lets talk started this about 6 years ago.
    01-12-10 08:38 PM
    Whether it's new or not it's still stupid. If I buy a phone at the sub price and sign a 2 year contract then I only want to be obligated to the phone company. In this case, I am financially obligated to 2 companies and let me tell you, this phone isn't worth all that.
    01-12-10 08:41 PM
    Well, I better get to returning mine then. Even though I bought it unlocked.

I get nervous when I have to deal with email support, SNAIL MAIL, AND 14 days.

Just a bad mix.

Luckily American Express doesn't play around.
    01-13-10 11:54 AM
    Well, I better get to returning mine then. Even though I bought it unlocked.

I get nervous when I have to deal with email support, SNAIL MAIL, AND 14 days.

Just a bad mix.

Luckily American Express doesn't play around.

if you bought it un-subsidized you have nothing to worry about. you can cancel any time with no repurcussions from google or the carrier.
    01-13-10 12:03 PM
    I just want to return it without a hassle.
    01-13-10 12:05 PM
    I want to return my N1, and look at this ridiculous email I got from google:

Hello ____,

Thank you for your email.

To receive a refund, you must return the phone in like-new condition and
    in its original packaging with all included accessories.

To initiate a return for Google Order #########, please follow
    these steps:
    1. Call HTC: Contact the HTC service center at the number listed in the
    Service & Repair section of the HTC website:
    HTC - Nexus One Support and Repair
    2. Receive return instructions: The HTC representative will issue you a
    Returned Merchandise Authorization (RMA) ticket number and return
    instructions.
    3. Return the device to HTC: Send the device to HTC using the instructions
    provided.
    4. Receive a refund: Google will issue a refund within 14 days of receipt
    of the return. You will receive an email notification when the refund is
    applied.
    Applicable Fees:
    - Restocking fee of $45 USD if package is opened; no restocking fee for
    unopened packages.
    - Return shipping costs as specified by the return instructions.
    - Additional fees as applicable for damages or missing components.

Any applicable fees will be automatically deducted from your refund
    amount.

~~~~~

Aside from having a relatively complicated return process, there's a 45 dollar restocking fee.

Thats a bit rediculous, especially if you tack on the 350 Equipment recovery fee, and 200 ETF some users might have to face....

Anyways, this is a pretty good reference on how to return your N1 if anyone needs it.
    01-14-10 09:57 AM
    So who has been charged for two ETFs? When that ACTUALLY happens, then I will say WTF. Twisted.
    01-14-10 10:14 AM
    Do you think google will see sluggish sales and negative comments about the EFT and decide to change the sales package and release it in stores?
    01-14-10 12:47 PM
    I dunno, but I'm more than annoyed at this point-
    01-14-10 01:24 PM
    You'd be better of selling it on craigslist or something for like 480. Save you the hassle and someone would gladly take a 50 buck discount on a basically brand new device. I sold mine yesterday and I got a new debit card, just in case google would try something fishy LOL.
    01-14-10 02:01 PM
    That sucks.........
    I was tempted to sign up with t-mo just to give it a try, glad I ddin't.
    Maybe thats why they are doing it like this to discourage people who were
    thinking of doing the same.
    01-14-10 02:21 PM
    That sucks.........
    I was tempted to sign up with t-mo just to give it a try, glad I ddin't.
    Maybe thats why they are doing it like this to discourage people who were
    thinking of doing the same.
    Yeah wait for it to come to VZW. I'm sure VZW will not go for all this crap. They will have devices in the store and advertising. VZW will not let their name be dragged through the mud for Google. I guess sometimes it's good to have a very controlling company (see VZW, Apple LOL) as your product/service provider.

T-mobile probably just let Google do anything so this phone can be released on their network first.
    01-14-10 02:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD