besides BB maps? I am going on a business trip and might get VZ Navigator for the drive and then just cancel it when I get back. Have any good free GPS programs come out recently?

BB Maps is not good as all from when I used it.
    01-11-10 03:08 PM
    Google Maps - Free, Garmin Mobile - $79
    01-11-10 03:13 PM
    Google maps is great for a free, non talking gps. For 80$ you can't beat the Garmin app. I've had it for over a year now and been well worth the cost. Great nav with voice, great searching for everything you might need (shopping, hotels, food, banks, gas - with prices).
    01-11-10 03:28 PM
    get a Garmin 255wt Wide screen GSP, with BlueTooth so you can use it as a speakerphone for your BB.... with voice Turn By Turn directions.

I use my Garmin more than Google Maps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-10 03:54 PM
    get a Garmin 255wt Wide screen GSP, with BlueTooth so you can use it as a speakerphone for your BB.... with voice Turn By Turn directions.

I use my Garmin more than Google Maps.

GPS units are cheap now. I got a Tom Tom 150 for my wife for $70.00. Why tie up your phone in your Car??
    01-11-10 04:00 PM
    Phone is very portable.. Gps unit is not..
    01-11-10 04:08 PM
    Hmmmm Storm 2 9550 with 3" screen or Garmin Nuvi 5000 with 5.2" screen. I'll take both thank you very much, and the GPS fits nicely in laptop bag when I travel.
    01-11-10 04:35 PM
    I have VZ navigator - it's very accurate, including traffic conditions. Google maps showed a road as clear when there was actually a 3-mile delay

01-11-10 05:06 PM
    Question on the Garmin app from this newbie, do you get it on garmin.com or somewhere else? I couldn't find it on BB app world. Garmn.com has "Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry" but the price for that is $99.99. Is this the same app you folks are talking about? Thanks a lot.
    01-12-10 01:04 AM
    I am currently using Google Maps 3.2 and LifeInPocket. This morning when I went to work I was alerted to a freeway delay. I click on the yellow triangle and could actually see a pic of the stalled vehicle causing the delay. Then I used my LIP app to go from my work to the place I needed to go at lunch. It was not bad at all. The voice navigation was easy to follow. And both apps are FREE! Plus both apps do some pretty neat extra stuff as well.

I say before paying for anything you should at least consider trying these two free apps out.
    01-12-10 01:55 AM
    Did they finally fix the voice in the app Life in Pocket? It use to be delayed and very slow. It was a deal-breaker for me.
    01-12-10 02:22 AM
    That would be very true in the early years of last decade, but not as much anymore.

The garmin mobile app can be found here for $79
    Garmin | Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry - Turn your BlackBerry into a savvy navigator with Garmin Mobile
    01-12-10 02:33 AM
    I use google maps and vz nav together. Google maps tend to find more things I'm looking for. Then I plug my address in vz nav for turn by turn.

01-12-10 04:34 AM
    Seriously you need your head examined or something, how is a GPS unit NOT portable, it's barely larger than a Smartphone, unless you have one from 5 yrs ago. You can buy a standard GPS currently that is the same, if not smaller than a Smartphone in size, thus not tying up your phone while driving.

And for the record, my TomTom fits very nicely in a shirt pocket and can be carried anywhere.

Seriously, I think sometimes you post asinine crap just to get your count higher, because 90% of the time it don't make any sense.
    01-12-10 07:32 AM
    Did they finally fix the voice in the app Life in Pocket? It use to be delayed and very slow. It was a deal-breaker for me.
    Yep the voice is MUCH better and not sure how long since you used, but they've had 2-3 updates in the last couple of weeks. They're definitely fine tuning it and it's turning out to be pretty good.
    01-12-10 07:48 AM
    I use Sprint Navigation because it's included with my plan. If I had to pay extra for it, I'd just get a traditional GPS unit instead.
    01-12-10 08:00 AM
    Where can I get the Google Maps and Life in Pocket apps?
    01-12-10 03:27 PM
    Seriously you need your head examined or something, how is a GPS unit NOT portable, it's barely larger than a Smartphone, unless you have one from 5 yrs ago. You can buy a standard GPS currently that is the same, if not smaller than a Smartphone in size, thus not tying up your phone while driving.

And for the record, my TomTom fits very nicely in a shirt pocket and can be carried anywhere.

Seriously, I think sometimes you post asinine crap just to get your count higher, because 90% of the time it don't make any sense.
    I think he (or she) means that carrying a phone with a GPS app (one device) is far more portable than carrying a phone + a GPS together (two devices) .... common sense
    01-12-10 04:05 PM
    As others have said, Google Maps is great (and free) but doesn't talk to you. I have a Garmin Nuvi which is excellent. I highly recommend the Garmin brand.
    01-12-10 06:25 PM
    Hey... i'm just curious because i don't have my BB yet but why does it look like not alot of people use BB Maps. Is it not very good?
    01-12-10 07:53 PM
    TeleNav GPS Navigator has a free 14 day trial. Just used it while on the West Coast last week driving from Seattle to Portland. It has turn-by-voice, and checks for traffic issues. Heading south it gave us an alternate route due to traffic congestion, stayed on the original route, but sure enough came upon a single lane of traffic due to a collision. It's a monthly subscription fee after the trial expires, but they don't require to pay during the trial (like some that have you pay first and then give you a refund).

I was very happy with it and if I need a GPS service again, would consider subscribing to this service.
    01-12-10 09:37 PM
    That would be very true in the early years of last decade, but not as much anymore.

The garmin mobile app can be found here for $79
    Garmin | Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry - Turn your BlackBerry into a savvy navigator with Garmin Mobile
    Thanks for that link!
    01-13-10 12:01 AM
    I think he (or she) means that carrying a phone with a GPS app (one device) is far more portable than carrying a phone + a GPS together (two devices) .... common sense
    Once again, the OP stated they were taking a trip and using a "standalone gps" as opposed to a "phone app" will keep your smartphone freed up. I personally use my Storm 2 as my gps, but some might not want to use theirs as such. If in fact that is what CPU meant to say, then he should've stated that instead of posting it as he did because the majority reading it would take the same way that most on here did. It's a little vague.
    01-13-10 06:54 AM
    I have a question... how can you use google maps in the car?

ok, let me word that differently lol... When using Google maps... the phone keeps going to sleep. Is there are mount/charger or something to keep it awake? (Without having to go in a change settings etc?)

Thanks!
    01-13-10 08:11 AM
    besides BB maps? I am going on a business trip and might get VZ Navigator for the drive and then just cancel it when I get back. Have any good free GPS programs come out recently?

BB Maps is not good as all from when I used it.
    If you are just looking for use while on your business trip... VZNav is good/great. And it might even be pro-rated if you cancel in under 30 days.

You should definitely look at the free trials of Garmin and Telenav.

If you are thinking longer term, then you have to think of monthly fee of VZNav, Telenav, etc. vs a totally free app or one time fee app like garmin, or other NAV apps. vs one time fee/portability/map update ability of a standalone GPS unit.

I've used VZNav for a long time now (started when the LG enV came out), and have been using it on various phones ever since. (I used it on enV, Voyager, Dare, V9m, Pearl,G'zOne Boulder, Storm and Storm2). Its accurate, fast, does good with traffic alerts as well as re-routing due to traffic. It gives good directions, the display is easy to understand, it does a great job of alerting you to upcoming turns. It is also forgiving when I don't get the address EXACTLY correct. I guess having to enter street address, city, state and zip help.

Garmin worked well enough for me when I tried it that I have considered canceling VZNav. But I haven't pulled that trigger yet.

When I first got my Storm1 I tried various free GPS apps. None could replace VZnav for me. BUT I haven't tried any of them since to see how their updates/upgrades might perform.
    01-13-10 08:40 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD