I know this may be an odd question to ask in the forums but I'm really struggling monthly paying almost $250 including taxes to Verizon. Switching to another carrier is out of the question so I need to know am I getting the best value for my money? Can I take someone and put them on a separate line? Give me whatever you can - be creative I need to save money. If you need more info please tell me.

Right now: 3 lines on 1400 Select Family Share plan insurance on 2 devices plus 29.99 data on 2 devices

Average monthly use:
    Line 1 215 peak minutes, 1400 text
    Line 2 180 peak minutes, 50 text
    Line 3 330 peak minutes, 0 text

thanks so much
    01-10-10 09:38 PM
    I know this may be an odd question to ask in the forums but I'm really struggling monthly paying almost $250 including taxes to Verizon. Switching to another carrier is out of the question so I need to know am I getting the best value for my money? Can I take someone and put them on a separate line? Give me whatever you can - be creative I need to save money. If you need more info please tell me.

Right now: 3 lines on 1400 Select Family Share plan insurance on 2 devices plus 29.99 data on 2 devices

Average monthly use:
    Line 1 215 peak minutes, 1400 text
    Line 2 180 peak minutes, 50 text
    Line 3 330 peak minutes, 0 text

thanks so much
    Based on the info provided, I don't see a decrease in minutes being an option, but could possibly lower the bill by $10 monthly if going to a 1400 Basic pp and place line 1 on a Mobile to Mobile 1500 messaging feature $15 and line 2 on a 250 Messaging feature $5. but could maybe even go down by $15 if line 1 is doing a lot of Mobile to Mobile messaging in that 1400 usage and is under 500 non Mobile to Mobile. Again that is based on the information provided. The only other option would be to know if that combined usage of 725 minutes is with any Friends & Family numbers set up or if could lower that usage under 700 if not.

00smurf
    01-10-10 10:12 PM
    i'm reading it off my bill. family shareplan usage and then it gives me mobile to m obile under so im assuming thats peak going against my minutes. i cant figure a way to check frequently called numbers unless i count by hand
    01-10-10 10:18 PM
    .The only way to see friends & family usage would be to call customer care

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-10 10:22 PM
    friends and family on a family plan allowed 10 people these are numbers you can call and won't go against your minutes at anytime. landlines and mobile numbers.

you can do a 10.00 text option for the person who texts a lot that gives unlimited mobile to mobile within the Verizon network and 500 a month outside the network remembering those 500 count as one going out and one coming in. The 5.00 text package for the one that texts the least amount those are just 250 text a month and no mobile to mobile on that.
    so whoever that person texts counts as one and then the response will count as one

You can also call customer care for their assistance. But there is no room for you to lower your minutes of use You are on the lowest minute plan for family
    01-10-10 10:44 PM
    If you need to cut down badly, you may want to consider getting regular phones and dropping the Berries and data for now. Someting to consider.
    01-10-10 10:56 PM
    i dont mind mixing and matching family and individual, if say two lines can go on a family plan and one on individual and save money, please tell me
    01-10-10 11:08 PM
    i dont mind mixing and matching family and individual, if say two lines can go on a family plan and one on individual and save money, please tell me
    Just curious, why is switching carriers out of the question? NYS is pretty well covered by every major carrier. Is it because you are locked in a new two?
    01-11-10 12:09 AM
    Drop the data phones and you will save 60 a month

01-11-10 01:30 AM
    If you need to cut down badly, you may want to consider getting regular phones and dropping the Berries and data for now. Someting to consider.
    I can't drop the data right now. Maybe I can for one phone but not mine. I can't switch carriers because I'm tied to a recently new contract. I have tried other networks while still on Verizon and they were epic failures at the time - 2 summers ago for me.

how about if i leave the first two lines on the family plan, lower the minutes, and place the 3rd line on an individual plan? would i be saving any money?
    01-11-10 12:38 PM
    Go for the select plan with 1400 Minutes.
    Gives you unlimited text on all three lines. $129
    Add the two BB for $30 each = $60
    Current total = $190. So do you have insurance on all phones?

I don't know what your local taxes are.
    Do you have an employer discount?
    01-11-10 05:06 PM
    Why can't you drop data?

01-11-10 09:17 PM
    I rely on it way too much
    01-12-10 01:36 PM

thats what I have now and yes insurance on 2 lines advanced devices $7.99 each so im paying $50 in taxes monthly?
    01-12-10 01:51 PM
    look at your bill for taxes....

so you can drop the data, you just don't want to
    01-12-10 05:24 PM
    Doesn't VZW require BB's to have BB data on them period? Many carriers are this way regarding advanced devices. ATT is the same with the iPhone I believe and Sprint with BBs, WinMo, Palm, etc.

I noticed VZW is probably the worst regarding 'retention' plans. I think it's nice that they're this way in the fact that depending on your CSR you get a good or bad plan but not good in the way that I can't get a cheaper plan. I know Sprint was pretty good about having the under-the-table really cheap plans.

If VZW would lower their plans to match new-customer advertised non-retention Sprint plans (I will pay 30$ more on VZW for exact same plan features except 700 VZW vs. 1500 Sprint minutes) they would really be king of the cellular phone world sans iPhone. Now, I never used more then 500-600 minutes but 30$ more for 700 vs. Sprints 1500 minutes hurts a bit. This is after my discount and VZW is giving me 25% where Sprint only gave 18%. I love my VZW signal and VZW loves my money. Even if I only had to pay the same amount on VZW for half the minutes it'd be so much happier, especially now that money is tighter but not quite so tight that cellphones get cut off.

Unless there is a VZW rep. that knows about super-awesome-ultra-needs-approval retention plans that only 0.05% VZW customers get I've never heard of VZW retention before but I never really looked for it either.
    Last edited by bushd; 01-12-10 at 05:59 PM.
    01-12-10 05:55 PM
    Saving money and Verizon don't really go together in a sentence, lol

But my suggestion, is maybe move to the 700 min plan and just watch your usage closely, saves $20

01-12-10 05:58 PM
    See how much it would cost to buy a replacement for the phones for which you have insurance. You may find that it is about the same as the insurance deductible. In that case, the insurance is something you could consider dropping.

01-13-10 05:51 AM
    so you can drop the data, you just don't want to
    Some people use their BB's for work, not just facebook and pandora .
    01-13-10 02:27 PM

I'd go with this one, minus 1 of the BBs, PLUS making sure you have applied any corp discounts check here
    01-13-10 03:05 PM
    Some people use their BB's for work, not just facebook and pandora .
    He never said he uses it for work da. And if your employer really feels you need one, they'll be willing to foot the bill.

01-14-10 09:11 PM
    guys please dont fight

i do use it for work and some for personal but my company wont pay for it, they're in the middle of firing people, i doubt they want to pay for my data plan.

anyways I'm trying to make sense of the new plans and it's giving me a headache. Any new hope for me when Verizon releases their plan rate changes?

OR I do have a Google Voice account. Could I use that in conjunction with something to make and receive free calls? I read something about using it with Gizmo 5 but I don't have a Gizmo 5 account. Any alternatives?
    Last edited by hakoreh; 01-17-10 at 10:05 AM.
    01-15-10 09:15 AM
    anything new?
    01-17-10 10:05 AM
    Only real option at this point would be:

Nationwide Basic Family SharePlan� 1400 $99.98

First line:

1500 messages + unlimited M2M = $15.00
    Blackberry Feature = $29.99
    Insurance only = $6

Second Line:

250 Messages = $5
    Blackberry Feature = $29.99
    Insurance only = $6

Third Line:
    Pay Per Use messaging = $0.00

Total Due Monthly $191.96

I don't see how you would benefit by going to separate lines. Keep it on the family share.
    Last edited by tsguy52; 01-17-10 at 12:35 PM.
    01-17-10 12:32 PM
    anyways I'm trying to make sense of the new plans and it's giving me a headache. Any new hope for me when Verizon releases their plan rate changes?

OR I do have a Google Voice account. Could I use that in conjunction with something to make and receive free calls? I read something about using it with Gizmo 5 but I don't have a Gizmo 5 account. Any alternatives?
    You won't benefit from the rate plan changes unless you had an unlimited plan.

I've seen people use Google Voice and add the number dialed to their Friends and Family, but that won't really help since you have to have the 1400 minute plan to even get the Friends and Family.
    01-17-10 12:37 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD