I know it's frowned upon but if anyone did accomplish it can you pm me?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-10 11:53 AM
    Can of spraypaint, go wild

Its called new blank lower bezel, new battery cover and new upper bezel. Now to get the BB out od the program when it boots up, that might be a problem

01-09-10 12:27 PM
    I know how to unbrand 9000 and 83xx I know what it does already and I've bricked phones but I always bring them back, it's fun. I want to unbrand simply because I like the rim splash screen lol I'm a little ocd like that, I know how to mess with alx files to make vvm work you just need to delete anything that says vendor on it.

01-09-10 12:57 PM
    So either no one has accomplished this or you guys don't care enough to help.

01-09-10 07:07 PM
    So either no one has accomplished this or you guys don't care enough to help.

no one cares enough to help because they dont want to be banned for discussing it, as its against forum rules.

as posted many times in the past, the Bold 9000 was the last phone that was able to be unbranded by the end user. any phone made after it (8900, Tour, 9700, 8500's) cannot be unbranded with the available software. RIM implemented new security measures that made the software unable to read the new phones ROM's. attempting to do so could potentially brick your device.
    01-09-10 07:39 PM
    The only thing I'd love to have from the unbranded is the "3G only" option instead of just "2G/3G".
    01-09-10 07:49 PM
    no one cares enough to help because they dont want to be banned for discussing it, as its against forum rules.

as posted many times in the past, the Bold 9000 was the last phone that was able to be unbranded by the end user. any phone made after it (8900, Tour, 9700, 8500's) cannot be unbranded with the available software. RIM implemented new security measures that made the software unable to read the new phones ROM's. attempting to do so could potentially brick your device.
    That works, and I didn't mention any software and I asked to be pmed not to speak of it openly and if I did violate forum regulations then any mod can close this thread sorry

01-09-10 07:54 PM
    Too bad the 3G isn't switchable, I saw this really cheap but I'm with Tmo.

FS: Blackberry 9700 (AT&T) + Tons of accessories included - Teamspeed.com
    01-09-10 07:55 PM
    The only thing I'd love to have from the unbranded is the "3G only" option instead of just "2G/3G".
    what would be the point of that????? so if you are in a fringe or non 3G area, you want the phone to goto "no service" instead of falling back to EDGE or GPRS???? just seems stupid if you ask me.
    01-09-10 08:15 PM
    It seems crazy to me that people on forums like would have a problem with this kind reasonable request. I mean the phone companies screw us poor users every way they can so its only right that we try get some back where we can.

01-09-10 09:04 PM
    It seems crazy to me that people on forums like would have a problem with this kind reasonable request. I mean the phone companies screw us poor users every way they can so its only right that we try get some back where we can.

Because the software required to do this is illegal.
    On a side note. I've heard of cases that RIM discovered the illegal modifications and blacklisted the pin.

01-09-10 09:36 PM

theres only two things you are "losing" with a branded phone...

1.) startup screen carrier logos instead of RIM ones.
    2.) unlimited access to the engineering screen

as for dealing with this,

1.) you dont see this that often and it lasts for a second or two, deal with it.
    2.) you can access your escreen with a simple online tool/calculator. but hey, not like you would even know what youre looking at when youre in there.

so, in reality, unbranding doesnt really accomplish jack for us anyways.
    01-10-10 12:48 AM
    what would be the point of that????? so if you are in a fringe or non 3G area, you want the phone to goto "no service" instead of falling back to EDGE or GPRS???? just seems stupid if you ask me.
    Here in this area I get a very strong 3G signal (usually -58 to -65 dBm), but it will still just drop over to GPRS (often skipping EDGE). When I'm on 3G there is a noticable difference in call sound quality. T-mobile is my "back up" service just for fun phones so I don't care if it loses GPRS/EDGE. When I go in to stores is the only time I lose signal all together and that includes GPRS/EDGE there... so it wouldn't be a loss. On my Nokia N900 I can put it to 3G only and I never have a problem (other than the poor N900 battery life).

...as for dealing with this,

1.) you dont see this that often and it lasts for a second or two, deal with it.
    2.) you can access your escreen with a simple online tool/calculator. but hey, not like you would even know what youre looking at when youre in there.

1) is not correct. It doesn't last for seconds for me. It will sit like that for a while, as in 30 + minutes. My other 3G capable phones have no issue with 3G only so doubt it is T-mobile, and more likely the phone just acting silly. I've gone through replacements so it isn't just the device being faulty.
    01-10-10 04:57 AM
    Because the software required to do this is illegal.
    On a side note. I've heard of cases that RIM discovered the illegal modifications and blacklisted the pin.

The software doesn't necessarily have to be illegal, and since when are you not allowed to do whatever you want to something you own?

Sounds like a lame excuse, the op's question is valid and the phone-company employees posting here should get off his case.

I have an unbranded 8900 so I doubt any "modifications" are visible to RIM. How do they know who brands what?
    05-02-10 10:05 AM
    theres only two things you are "losing" with a branded phone...

1.) startup screen carrier logos instead of RIM ones.
    2.) unlimited access to the engineering screen

as for dealing with this,

No your right it doesn't. But it's always fun to play around with it
    05-02-10 10:05 AM
    The software doesn't necessarily have to be illegal, and since when are you not allowed to do whatever you want to something you own?

Sounds like a lame excuse, the op's question is valid and the phone-company employees posting here should get off his case.

I have an unbranded 8900 so I doubt any "modifications" are visible to RIM. How do they know who brands what?
    Gotta agree. He bought the device, it his. If he wants to bebrand, it's his decision to make. RIM doesn't own it anymore, nor does the carrier. I doubt the police will stop by his house for debranding his phone.
    05-02-10 01:03 PM

the point is that the software required to unbrand, doesnt exist in the public in order to do so. so unless the phone came unbranded from the factory, there is no way for anyone to do it themselves. its not a matter of whether he should be allowed to do it, its a mere fact he cant. the software required doesnt exist in the public. does no one get this simple fact?? ive debranded many blackberrys, but anything made after the Bold 9000 cannot be unbranded with the older available software.
    05-02-10 04:19 PM
    Maybe somebody will figure it out and write their own code to debrand, and not even tell you about it. Then what will you say?
    05-03-10 06:26 AM
    Don't get your hopes up man...

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    05-03-10 06:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD