Although OS 5 is officially released, it hasn't seemed to drip down to Orange UK yet.

Does anyone know an ETA on when we can expect it (or even an educated guess?)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-10 08:38 AM
    Just use the OS sticky'd at the the top of this forum. A simple delete of the vendor.xml file, and it loads right up.
    01-09-10 08:42 AM
    You could always phone Orange. I just installed the Vodafone DE version on my UK Vodafone, works brilliantly.
    01-09-10 08:43 AM
    I've emailed Orange and asked when we can be expecting it.

I've only got a Mac, otherwise I would have installed a beta before now.

01-09-10 06:02 PM
    Ahhhhh! That's a PITA. One day RIM will give you guys a break. No one you can visit, who happens to have a PC?

I'm Hand Javin' baby!
    WAPers do it With A Passion

If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

01-09-10 07:41 PM
    I downloaded the voda Spain version and installed it on my sisters curve which is in orange uk. Works great, no issues at the moment.

If u know someone with a pc I would recommend using it and install it!

01-10-10 04:00 AM
    I think I might give it ago. Has anyone noticed the SMS threading problem that others have been reporting (where SMS to different people end up in the same thread)?

Is it easy to restore should something go wrong?
    01-10-10 05:09 AM
    I think I might give it ago. Has anyone noticed the SMS threading problem that others have been reporting (where SMS to different people end up in the same thread)?

Is it easy to restore should something go wrong?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/bl...ms-bug-378483/
    01-10-10 06:51 AM
    im currently on orange and i have already downloaded the OS 5!
    01-10-10 07:15 AM
    Pookie, have you downloaded it yourself, or has it come through DM as an update?

I'd rather not visit someone just to install a load of BB software on their machine - I can wait!
    01-10-10 08:36 AM
    I've just received this hilarious email from Orange CS - If what they are saying is correct, does that mean every Orange user who has updated their phone software to 5.0 now has a bricked handset? I'm pretty sure that's not the case at all.

The link provided (which I can't post yet - new user) doesn't correspond to the instructions given, and the HTC reference and the Windows analogy are priceless. And completely stupid:

Thank you for your email regarding your BlackBerry 8900 handset.

I am very sorry to learn that you are unaware of our process regarding ROM updates for Orange phones. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this has caused.

I would like to advise that you are only able to process ROM updates for an Orange branded handset directly from the Orange website and not direct from HTC themselves, this is due to the Orange branding that you have on your phone that allows you to use this on our network.

Please find below a link to our website where you are able to check in the future if a ROM update via Orange has been released.

I have also supplied below, the required steps that you will need to take in order to organise an update to your phone. Be advised to follow the on-screen instructions as it will give you the necessary and required information regarding your phone.

"your phone's features" > "download software updates" > "how do I download the latest software update" > "BlackBerry ROM update"

When a new ROM update is made available by a handset manufacturer they will pass a version of this to Orange so that we can run the required tests to confirm that this ROM update they have released will co-exist with the Orange branding that you are required to use on your phone.

The reason it's not on the Orange website is because it's not compatible with the Orange version of the software.

BlackBerry do have a ROM update for this handset but it is for the generic software version, it would be like updating your vista PC with the service pack 2 for XP, both are windows, both have a service pack 2 but they are different versions of the software and therefore not compatible.

Be aware that it is not possible to advise of any estimated timescale for the testing of this ROM update by Orange, furthermore, we can not guarantee that a ROM update will be released at all regarding the BlackBerry 8900 as the ROM updates that could be released may never work alongside the Orange branding on the phone.

Please be advised that the answers to many common queries can be found in the Frequently Asked Questions section in the Help and Support option on the Home page of our website.

Please be advised that the answers to many common queries can be found in the Frequently Asked Questions section in the Help and Support option on the Home page of our website.

I hope this information is of assistance and apologise for the delay in our response.
    01-10-10 03:12 PM
    That would be funny, were it not so ridiculous. They should be embarrassed to send that out. Might want to compare that to using a GM ignition module in my RX7. Different branding, works perfectly. With that kind of expertise on the case, you'll have the OS released for your use by, oh next fall.
    01-10-10 03:23 PM
    I've got 5.0.0.411 on my Orange UK Bold and it's certainly not bricked - works brilliantly.
    01-11-10 05:20 AM
    I don't know whether to respond by politely pointing out that their reply was a total load of crap, but I do think it might be helpful if all interested BB Orange users email customer.services @ Orange (I'm sure you can all work out the actual email address!) and ask about the 5.O release.

01-13-10 12:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD