CES is giving us sooo many new toys this year! Majic jack will now work with your cell phone!

MagicJack's next act: disappearing cell phone fees by AP: Yahoo! Tech

LAS VEGAS -

The company behind the magicJack, the cheap Internet phone gadget that's been heavily promoted on TV, has made a new version of the device that allows free calls from cell phones in the home, in a fashion that's sure to draw protest from cellular carriers.

The new magicJack uses, without permission, radio frequencies for which cellular carriers have paid billions of dollars for exclusive licenses.

YMax Corp., which is based in Palm Beach, Fla., said this week at the International Consumers Electronics Show that it plans to start selling the device in about four months for $40, the same price as the original magicJack. As before, it will provide free calls to the U.S. and Canada for one year.

The device is, in essence, a very small cellular tower for the home.
    01-08-10 02:05 PM
    I say the cell phone companies snatch that product up before it every makes it to the market.
    01-08-10 02:23 PM
    I say the cell phone companies snatch that product up before it every makes it to the market.
    Agreed. I don't think they would aloow that. Just my opinion. Would be cool, but won't happen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-10 02:26 PM
    Agreed. I don't think they would aloow that. Just my opinion. Would be cool, but won't happen.

What part of Jacksonville do you live in?
    01-08-10 02:29 PM
    North jax DMG. P.S. Big fan of your apps. Got all of them. Lol. Good looking on the New Years giveaway too. Thank you.

01-08-10 02:44 PM
    It's amazing! The $19.99 a year phone service works as good as Comcast and other VOIP phones services.

I am sure that their mobile phone based service will also be great!
    01-08-10 03:15 PM
    North jax DMG. P.S. Big fan of your apps. Got all of them. Lol. Good looking on the New Years giveaway too. Thank you.

I live in Orange Park it's like south west jax.

Thanks for the compliments I'm glad you enjoy them =)
    01-08-10 03:28 PM
    I live in Orange Park it's like south west jax.

Thanks for the compliments I'm glad you enjoy them =)
    No problem sir. You deserve it. My exgf lives out there. Haven't been that way in years. Sorry for jacking the thread op.

01-08-10 03:40 PM
    BTW, is it avialable for sale? How much they are selling it for?
    01-08-10 03:53 PM
    It'll be $40, and will go for sale in about 4 months according to msnbc
    01-08-10 04:05 PM
    I thought you were going to say that they had a BB app to connect to MagicJack servers right on your blackberry! Then, maybe, I could see the point of this thread ;-)

That would be sweet, but the Femtocell thingy they are proposing will in all likelihood never work (or at least not work properly) with CDMA phones (our beloved storm 9530s) anyway, they are saying the device will only use GSM.

As far as the legality of such a device, you guys might want to brush up on your FCC part 15... it could very well be legal given a low enough power limit and use the right frequencies.
    01-08-10 04:17 PM
    Think that it would be cool too....but I think that we all know that it is not going to happen....if it does, it won't be for long....
    01-08-10 04:27 PM
    Does the original MJ really work? There are tons of commercials for it on TV. And it's cheap.
    01-08-10 04:38 PM
    Interesting, thanks for posting this, but I'm confused. Since it's confined to home use, why not just use the standard Majicjack and use a more comfortable, better sounding, land line style phone instead?
    01-08-10 04:52 PM
    I believe it will happen in 4 months. CDMA can be done but the market is too small if looking at ww market.
    01-08-10 05:00 PM
    Interesting, thanks for posting this, but I'm confused. Since it's confined to home use, why not just use the standard Majicjack and use a more comfortable, better sounding, land line style phone instead?
    So you can use your BB at home with the same mobile phone numner.
    01-08-10 05:01 PM
    So you can use your BB at home with the same mobile phone numner.
    I am pretty sure you will be using your MJ number for all calls, there is no way this thing will interface with your carrier at all to get incoming calls in your mobile num.

And for the q about if the MJ works to begin with... Its super cheap but it does work pretty darn well even with weak internet access and old household wiring... Apparently the customer support is the big complaint going around.

01-08-10 06:48 PM
    I thought you were going to say that they had a BB app to connect to MagicJack servers right on your blackberry! Then, maybe, I could see the point of this thread ;-)

That would be sweet, but the Femtocell thingy they are proposing will in all likelihood never work (or at least not work properly) with CDMA phones (our beloved storm 9530s) anyway, they are saying the device will only use GSM.

As far as the legality of such a device, you guys might want to brush up on your FCC part 15... it could very well be legal given a low enough power limit and use the right frequencies.
    You do realize the Network Extender offered by Verizon is a Femtocell. The technology already works on CDMA.
    01-09-10 12:28 AM
    You do realize the Network Extender offered by Verizon is a Femtocell. The technology already works on CDMA.
    Ugh. yes you can get a cdma femtocell. However the odds that a company like MJ will manage to get one to work with your Verizon phone are pretty well 0. For a femtocell to work you either need an ***** simple handshake like in GSM or you need full details about encryption and carrier codes if you want CDMA.

I am still waiting for a BB magicjack app that uses BIS to route the calls a la skype...

01-09-10 09:19 AM
    Does the original MJ really work? There are tons of commercials for it on TV. And it's cheap.
    Yes it does, I have been using about 5 months now and no issues, call quality is great and FREE long distance. I initially paid $40 for it (20 for the jack and 20 for 1st yr) and then it's $20 a yr after that saving me $35 monthly for basic phone service. Can't beat it for the price and I can definitely assure you it's not a gimmick.
    01-11-10 07:00 AM
    Yes it does, I have been using about 5 months now and no issues, call quality is great and FREE long distance. I initially paid $40 for it (20 for the jack and 20 for 1st yr) and then it's $20 a yr after that saving me $35 monthly for basic phone service. Can't beat it for the price and I can definitely assure you it's not a gimmick.

ditto..works great on Mac as well and you can forward calls to your bb when not in use. Had it since it first came out and hacks were available..change your caller id etc, but they seemed to close all the holes.
    01-11-10 08:32 AM
    I am pretty sure you will be using your MJ number for all calls, there is no way this thing will interface with your carrier at all to get incoming calls in your mobile num.

And for the q about if the MJ works to begin with... Its super cheap but it does work pretty darn well even with weak internet access and old household wiring... Apparently the customer support is the big complaint going around.

No, for the cell phone, you will use your cell phone number.
    01-20-10 11:07 AM
    I have 2 Magicjacks and used both of them for about one year. Nice voice quality, pretty much the same as Comcast voice service.

Sounds too good to be true but it did save me a lot of money.
    01-20-10 11:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD