I'm curious to know so I can make sure I'm working with the optimum amount of app memory.
    01-08-10 12:20 PM
    On the BB Bold 9000 I gave my g/f:

FaceBook
    Google Maps
    Gmail
    Gmail Plug-in
    BlackBerry App World
    Aim
    The Weather Channel
    AP Mobile
    01-08-10 12:36 PM
    How does knowing what other people are using help you optimize your memory? This makes no sense.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-10 01:54 PM
    How does knowing what other people are using help you optimize your memory? This makes no sense.

You're just not thinking. Hella people are saying they got like 20-25 MBs of App memory and I BARELY have that and I JUST wiped my phone. So I'm thinking I probably got too much stuff on my phone cause this memory issue is starting to bug me. I'm probably just OCD about this situation but it almost makes me wanna get a 9700 just for the memory. But my thumbs are fat enough, I don't think I can type with a smaller set of keys.

I did all the regular stuff like: remove unused languages and games, but I'm still not really freeing up much mem.
    01-08-10 06:54 PM
    On the BB Bold 9000 I gave my g/f:

FaceBook
    Google Maps
    Gmail
    Gmail Plug-in
    BlackBerry App World
    Aim
    The Weather Channel
    AP Mobile
    Right on. What's your app mem after a reboot?
    01-08-10 06:55 PM
    Well if you want to do some calculations, why aren't you asking people to also post their memory?

If you want to free up some memory you should first use crackmem to delete everything you don't use in the OS. That way, if you start with 60mb vs 40mb you can install more apps.

Then you should get into the habit of clearing you cache + running memory cleaner, and deleting your system logs.

Then delete app world. It's a known mem leak and easy enough to dl whenever you want to access it.

Then delete the gmail app and plugin. They are known mem leaks and it's easier to just add that email addy to BIS and have it pushed to you.

Then delete facebook, it's a known memory leak.

01-09-10 04:42 AM
    Using the apps as below:

Windows live messenger
    BlackBerry messenger
    BlackBerry browser
    BBweather
    Facebook
    Xenozu youtube player

I put WLM and BBM to be auto login and standby all the time, 2 emails account and that's about it. I only manage to get around 30mb of memory when boot up and it drop till 15mb after several hours of standby wiht minor emails and bbm. I also curious how do those people said they manage to get 40mb boot up and 25mb constantly.

01-09-10 04:47 AM
    BBM
    Telmap
    Garmin
    FB
    Viigo
    App World
    Quick Pull
    Docs 2 go
    Google Maps
    Dictionary
    BT Sidekick
    Poynt
    Translator
    Spark recipes
    Fixmo
    BuzzMe
    Mileage tracker
    Sky Mobile
    CB Launcher
    Bloomberg Mobile
    FlyCast
    3 email accounts that are quite busy all day

WOW didn't realise i had sooooooo many!! 20mb free after reboot. After 2 days down to 6mb
    01-09-10 05:03 AM
    Facebook - Viigo - Score Mobile - Bolt Browser - WeatherBug - Google maps
    I start with 35MB after BP and stop/stabilize to around 22MB after a day or two.
    I usually do a BP every 3 to 4 days, just because.
    :-)
    01-09-10 06:13 AM
    I thought virgo cause a lot of memory leak? Just weird you can get that much of memory. Wondering is it because WLM and BBM causing mine so slow...

01-09-10 06:16 AM
    Facebook
    UberTwitter
    Google Maps
    Shazam
    Bloomberg
    App World
    World Mate
    CarFinder
    BBMessenger

24 MB free
    Last edited by regularwolf; 01-09-10 at 11:19 AM.
    01-09-10 07:21 AM
    I thought virgo cause a lot of memory leak? Just weird you can get that much of memory. Wondering is it because WLM and BBM causing mine so slow...

once I read the new I delete them of the app. If you keep them, it eats your memory. I also make sure I close the app after each time I use it.
    01-09-10 09:45 AM
    Alright this is what I did.

Remove all 3rd party themes, remove facebook, remove BBweather, and set only WLM and BBM to auto login. Reboot and I got like 32mb of memory. After standby for like 2-3 hours and I got around 10 emails, BBM group messages, it still remains 32mb. So the conclusion would be either themes, facebook or bbweather for my case.

01-09-10 11:13 AM
    Thanks Little Red. That's what I was lookin for. What do you know about BerryWeather? Since I'm not running any apps on my phone right now I've noticed that my mem is lasting a lot longer.. But tell me what you think about what I had, let me know if there are any "red flag" apps:

-BerryWeather
    -Facebook - I know you already mentioned this one
    -Dictionary
    -Fandango - I won't DL that again
    -Google Maps
    *Pandora
    *Loopt

*apps that I no longer have but want to put back on my phone.

And I was running

-The In the Know theme - I feel like that was wasting memory away
    -Liquid theme - felt the same way.

What do you think?

Last edited by Creedub; 01-09-10 at 12:14 PM.
    01-09-10 11:18 AM
    My Bold runs best (by best I mean snappy/responsive, not laggy) if I can have 50-53MB memory after a reboot then down to around 46 at the end of the day depending on use, so I have winnowed my 3rd party apps and launchers to the following...I also am fastidious about closing apps.

quicklaunch
    quickpull pro
    UberTwitter
    calendar pro
    google
    berryweather (this one runs in background for updating)
    Splashshopper
    Ubertwitter
    google maps
    tripometer
    FileScout
    MaxMem
    Solitaire Buddy Gold

Launchers:

Crackberry
    The Economist
    Seattle PI
    CNN Mobile
    BBC News
    Dictionary.com

Apps I've installed and deleted a few times due to leaking/hogging on my device:

Facebook
    BBM
    Poynt
    LifeInPocket
    3rd party plazmic themes
    App World
    Shazam
    Bloomberg
    few others I can't remember right now

It seems everyone has a unique situation/device and, from what I've observed in these forums, what leaks or hogs for one doesn't necessarily do so for another. It's a matter of experimenting, which is part of the fun of owning a blackberry.

I also regularly clear the cache, call log, and event log.
    Last edited by Pema108; 01-09-10 at 12:26 PM. Reason: PS
    01-09-10 12:24 PM
    Jesus! Someone's doing something right. Did you happen to do (or ever done) all the steps that Little Red Dot mentioned up top? I feel like I'm never going to have as much free space as you but I'm gonna try a few things and let you know how it works. I'm kind of a neat freak when it comes to organizing apps on computers but cell phones is a completely different concept for me. I barely know how these things work so I'm a little intimidated. But you're right. It is half the fun.

01-09-10 01:39 PM
    I have about 26 megs after a battery pull then it stabilizes after about 19 or 20 megs. I found that after I uninstalled score and flixster that my memory started to stabilize. I have the following apps installed:

quick launch
    berry buzz
    repligo reader 1.1
    Docs to go 2.0
    Poynt
    Google Maps
    Blackberry App World
    Crackberry App Store
    Facebook
    Windows live Messenger
    Blackberry Messenger
    Weather Eye
    Viigo
    Shazam
    Call Blocker
    E-gps
    Tasty
    Auostandby
    Simplicity sms scroll theme

I deleted the following apps:

Blackberry Maps
    All the games
    Tasks
    All the languages
    Help
    TTY
    01-09-10 05:44 PM
    Well it seem to my current apps and default theme seem pretty stable for me, after 12 hours with emails, BBM and accu weather push, battery drop only 10% and memory drop around 5mb. Will slowly add back some other apps to find out what's making the battery and memory drop so fast.

01-09-10 11:15 PM
    If you want the most amount of memory, you have to start with the most amount of memory. There is a big chunk of memory that can be recovered via deleting all unused core applications using crackmem. Here's what I suggest:

Dl crackmem, and make sure that the only OS you have on your computer is the one you want on your phone.

Open crackmem, click on your OS, and check all the things you want deleted. Then hit "execute selection"

Close crackmem, open jlcmdr, and wipe your phone.

Open app loader and install your newly modifies OS onto your clean phone.

This process ensures that you start with the most amount of memory. You want to know how people walk around with 40mb all the time, or are able to install a ton of apps? This is how it's done.

After you do all that, it's time to work on your habits. Quick Pull is one of the best ways to keep your memory. Set the scheduler to simulate a batt pull while you're sleeping, every night. Get into the habit of deleting you system log every day, cause it only takes seconds (ALT LGLG � menu � clear log � confirm delete) you may think doing this everyday is too much, but it fills up super fast. Test it - clear the log, open your browser, close your browser, check the log - there will be dozens of entries.

To the OP, I would suggest using the following:

Google Maps
    Weathereye / Weatherbug
    Pandora
    Quick Pull
    Quick Launch
    CB Launcher

I have a few more apps and I average 40mb @ any time. This gives you plenty of space for more apps.

01-10-10 05:34 AM
    Before I installed the 5.0.0.411, I wiped my BB 9000 using BBSAK.

I installed the OS using BBSAK and unchecked couple of apps/part of the OS I won't use like some games, languages, bbmessenger and application center for example.
    After a the installation I mentioned to have 40MB of free memory..
    Then I installed these apps:

Google Maps
    Google Sync
    Gmail
    BerryBuzz
    BerryWeather
    Quicklaunch
    Unsynched Music
    Vodafone find&go
    Msn Messenger
    BB Messenger
    Facebook
    One theme

after the installations, I have every time after a reboot 22MB of free memory. The Memory will drain to 6MB of memory after 48 hourss
    I think Facebook has a memory leak..I am going to see what happens with the memory draining 2morror after deleting Facebook

01-11-10 01:55 PM
    You have a lot of apps that have been reported as memory leaks. Here's what I suggest:

Make a list of all your apps, in order of most important to least important.

Delete all your apps

Clear the log and the caches, pull the battery

Starting with your most important app, install 1 app every morning. Throughout the day keep a sharp eye on your memory, and make sure to use the newly installed app.

This is a lengthy and inconvenient process, but it is the only true way to know which apps are leaking memory. You have to understand that what leaks on your device may not leak on my device. There are many possible confounding factors like OS version, carrier, other apps, user habits etc. This is why you can't always rely on what you read here. Is the process worth it, that's up to you. But I can tell you that 6mb is far too low. My Bold has never dropped below 35, and I've had tons of apps on it for more than a year.

01-11-10 05:37 PM
    BBM
    Windows Live Messenger
    Quickpull
    Facebook (Is it just me or does FB lags like a @!%$^ everytime I use it? No matter what OS I use)
    01-12-10 01:44 AM
    I have installed the most recent .411 (OS5) and still have not identified which app is the one that causes my leak. I have installed:

Docs2Go 2
    Viigo
    Facebook
    BBM
    Gmail
    Google Maps
    SocialScope Lite

After a battery pull i'm at 37mbytes and 24hours after it is already dropeed at 17
    01-12-10 02:16 AM
    Giorgosh did you read my post? Did you install the apps 1 at a time and monitor your memory to identify the leak? You say you haven't been able to identify the leak, but what are you actually doing to find it? I can tell you that posting you apps won't help you find the leak.

01-12-10 05:47 AM
    On my 9000 I just ran weather eye, pandora and google maps. Everything worked fine.
    01-12-10 10:12 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD