Hello all,

I'm having a pretty weird problem with threaded SMS on my curve 8900 (I updated yesterday to OS 5.0.0.4.11 official).

It seems all my SMS's (coming from multiple contacts) are entering one conversation. I understand that threaded sms is like a BBM conversation, however if I receive an SMS from my bro for example, and then from a friend, they combine into one message item and one conversation! AND, the message received from my friend, will be part of the conversation with my brother with his name on top! This means any SMS message I receive from now on, will be titled with my brothers name, and I will not be able to to tell those texting me anymore.

If i were to delete all my SMS's then this problem is resolved, until again I receive another SMS and it starts over. So the only way to solve this is to ALWAYS have no text messages saved in my inbox which is simply ********.

Please help me if you know anything about this and can resolve my issue. Appreciate any suggestions!

Thank you
    01-08-10 10:39 AM
    You need to delete your SMS's off your phone and start fresh with new ones. The problem is with the old messages being brought into your 5.0 OS. connect to desktop manager, click on back and restore, then click on advanced. On the right side scroll down to SMS messages, highlight it and click clear.

Going forward your problem should be resolved
    01-08-10 10:58 PM
    If i were to delete all my SMS's then this problem is resolved, until again I receive another SMS and it starts over. So the only way to solve this is to ALWAYS have no text messages saved in my inbox which is simply ********.
    RIM's threaded sms is truly ********. It is absolutely the worst piece of software ever written for a mobile device in the history of cell phones.

I despise RIM's threaded sms. It simply sucks.
    01-08-10 11:15 PM
    RIM's threaded sms is truly ********. It is absolutely the worst piece of software ever written for a mobile device in the history of cell phones.

I despise RIM's threaded sms. It simply sucks.
    The OP isn't just despising threaded SMS, he (she?) Is having a real problem. All of the txts from ANY sender are in one thread... That's not how it meant to work.
    OP, have you deleted all SMS, disabled encryption and rebooted? Those are the steps that I've seen that have help some. If that doesn't work then possibly try downgrading to 4.6 and back up to 5.0.
    Good luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-10 11:44 PM
    The OP isn't just despising threaded SMS, he (she?) Is having a real problem. All of the txts from ANY sender are in one thread... That's not how it meant to work.
    RIM doesn't even know how they want this poorly written piece of code to work.

Come on over and use my 9700 for a day and sort through all the unrelated stock and news alerts ganged together for no reason and then delete the messages and the chat folders over and over and over. Perhaps when you do that for a couple of days, you'll start to have some empathy with those of us who hate this threaded sms nonsense.
    01-08-10 11:47 PM
    OP, have you deleted all SMS, disabled encryption and rebooted? Those are the steps that I've seen that have help some. If that doesn't work then possibly try downgrading to 4.6 and back up to 5.0.
    Good luck!

I have always had encryption disabled. I tried enabling, and again disabling, then reboot but still not working. Will try the advice written above by "ska11153" but I am at my office and I left the BB wire at home. Thanks for the advice though
    01-09-10 02:47 AM
    Anyone help I tried to delete my sms from the desktop manager and also the same problem all sms are coming under the same threaded sms receipt .

01-09-10 07:41 AM
    Anyone help I tried to delete my sms from the desktop manager and also the same problem all sms are coming under the same threaded sms receipt .

Well I have not tried yet but it seems you have not been able to fix the problem.
    01-09-10 07:46 AM
    You need to delete your SMS's off your phone and start fresh with new ones. The problem is with the old messages being brought into your 5.0 OS. connect to desktop manager, click on back and restore, then click on advanced. On the right side scroll down to SMS messages, highlight it and click clear.

Going forward your problem should be resolved
    Thanks for the tip, but this has not worked for me either! some suggested disabling encryption, tried to do it (it was already disabled) and that didn't do anything either..

Still have the same issue :s!!!
    01-09-10 01:02 PM
    RIM doesn't even know how they want this poorly written piece of code to work.

Come on over and use my 9700 for a day and sort through all the unrelated stock and news alerts ganged together for no reason and then delete the messages and the chat folders over and over and over. Perhaps when you do that for a couple of days, you'll start to have some empathy with those of us who hate this threaded sms nonsense.
    I kind of know what you mean because all of the tweets I receive are in one thread since they're all coming from Twitter not the individuals themselves. I prefer the threaded SMS because I really only txt with a few people. Seems like there should be an option to list all of the txts separately though.
    01-09-10 01:10 PM
    I have always had encryption disabled. I tried enabling, and again disabling, then reboot but still not working. Will try the advice written above by "ska11153" but I am at my office and I left the BB wire at home. Thanks for the advice though
    That must be so frustrating ... I hope you're able to find a solution quickly.
    01-09-10 01:11 PM
    That must be so frustrating ... I hope you're able to find a solution quickly.
    Yes it is frustrating! Tried the delete SMS solution through desktop manager, and still not fixed :s
    01-09-10 02:00 PM
    I ve tried ev everything they said nothing worked. If something works for you post it plz.tks

01-09-10 03:21 PM
    I don't know if this will solve your problem but its worth a try.
    Unlink your contacts. Go to bbm and highlight the contact (I would recommend unlinking all of them) and hit menu. Scroll to unlink contact and select. Hope this helps.

01-10-10 01:14 AM
    I ve tried ev everything they said nothing worked. If something works for you post it plz.tks
    RIM has basically screwed up. SMS was never intended to be an IM app. A handful of people wanted to turn SMS into an IM app and RIM took this and ran with it and wrote some really bad code. Now the rest of us are suffering as a consequence.

The only way this is going to be resolved is to re-write the OS code and allow an "off feature" for this bad threaded sms code. The problem is that this is probably not going to be done quickly or promptly.

This threaded sms has left such a bad taste in my mouth, that I probably will not buy any future BlackBerry devices. I like my 9700 but there isn't a day that goes by that I don't curse RIM for this terrible threaded sms code. It is really bad and really needs to be re-written.
    01-10-10 10:34 AM
    excuse my ignorance .
    but are you all talking about what happens with me on my bold 9700 ?

lets say Tony sent me a text message. i get it,

then you send me another, i still get it under the name of Tony !

how would i know its someone else who sent me a text ?? HELP !

another question : how would i downgrade to version 4.7 ?

Thank you,
    01-16-10 10:23 AM
    Yes yes yes, i am going thru the same thing, i just posted a thread for this as well..its the worst.
    02-01-10 03:08 PM
    rim has basically screwed up. Sms was never intended to be an im app. A handful of people wanted to turn sms into an im app and rim took this and ran with it and wrote some really bad code. Now the rest of us are suffering as a consequence.

The only way this is going to be resolved is to re-write the os code and allow an "off feature" for this bad threaded sms code. The problem is that this is probably not going to be done quickly or promptly.

This threaded sms has left such a bad taste in my mouth, that i probably will not buy any future blackberry devices. I like my 9700 but there isn't a day that goes by that i don't curse rim for this terrible threaded sms code. It is really bad and really needs to be re-written.
    soo you have a 9700 and it does the same thing???
    02-01-10 03:35 PM
    Hey guys...CHECK THIS OUT.

I had the sms issue with my bold (all texts going under one contact, not able to reply without starting a new thread). I found an article on (I think) blackberryos.com that suggested replacing the net_rim_bb_sms_compose.cod file with the one that was included in the 5.0.0.314 build using bbsak. That did the trick for me, but watch out as if you have customized your home screen you may lose all those settings as well as the at&t browser fix (at least I did anyway).
    02-01-10 04:02 PM
    I live in DUbai, took it back and they changed it for me , after trying to restore to an older version.
    I still wanna know how to fix it, as i am SO AFRAID To UPDATE the phone when i connect it to desktop manager on my mac.
    02-01-10 09:53 PM
    I downgraded to .314 So far so good, i just might stay on this... all i really wanted from .411 was the VV and The Scroll On the pics, And a few minor things... koo wit me..
    02-01-10 11:41 PM
    Hi All ,

Hope this will help you Guys . . I've tried it and it worked perfectly

The Solution is in Steps 3, 4, 7 and 8 below

you can download the ( .cod ) file from the thread's replies

-> ( BBHN's ) Reply to be specific

Thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/os...-issue-408807/

Follow these instructions:

1. Download the OS 5.0.0.411 and install it.
    2. Download an application called Crackmem.
    3. Download and Copy the ( net_rim_bb_sms_compose.cod ) file posted by BBHN
    4. then, go to, program files>common files>research in motion>shared>loader files>8900M_v5.0.0.411_P5.2.0.313>JAVA> and paste the file there.

5. backup your files in the Blackberry Desktop Manager (preferably the new one) Link-> BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop Software - BlackBerry Software at BlackBerry.com
    6. Close BlackBerry Desktop manager.
    7. Open CrackMem and make sure under SELECT OPERATING SYSTEM that OS 5.0.0.411 is selected.
    8. Click on Wipe Device, this will automatically open the OS installation wizard

9. Wait for the progress to finish, it shouldn't take long.
    10. You are done, restore all your options through the Blackberry Desktop Manager. ( while not connected to the net )
    11. Download the latest BBM using your phone browser -> blackberry.com/messenger. Reboot your device and that's it

WARNING: Do this at your own risk. I am not responsible for any problems that may occur as a result of following this guide.
    03-27-10 06:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD