I googled and youtubed the droid in comparison to the storm for emails but no one seems to really touch on it. The storm 1 wasn't as good as I thought it would be but the email was excellent. Want to upgrade and I'm thinking about the storm 2 or the droid. It really comes down to the email.
    01-08-10 04:31 AM
    Yea blackberrys are the best for email. I have the Eris and its not as good but the browser makes up for it.
    01-08-10 05:22 AM
    Depends on where you are pulling your email from. I use Gmail for my personal email. On my Eris, Gmail is comparable to having the Gmail app on a BlackBerry. Email is received as it's sent. Exchange is a different story. It's my understanding that the Droid has better built in Exchange support than the Eris, but I don't have a Droid so someone else will need to comment on that. On my Eris, I installed Touchdown Email and it works just as well as BES email worked on my BlackBerry.
    01-08-10 08:18 AM
    I made the switch yesterday to the Moto Droid and the email seems to be on par with what I had on the Storm. I currently have a gmail account and exchange set up on my phone and both are pushed almost instantly. Since OWA email is so slow on BIS, I originally had my work email forwarded to a gmail account so I wouldn't have to wait 15 min for an email to come. Sometimes the Storm will beat the Droid and vice-versa but it's not much of a difference. Only complaint is no email signature for exchange and poor attachment support without a 3rd party app.
    01-08-10 08:19 AM
    On my Eris, I installed Touchdown Email and it works just as well as BES email worked on my BlackBerry.
    I believe that is false. Perhaps you should say "Touchdown Email works ALMOST as well as BES email worked on my Blackberry."

Just one example, in Touchdown you cannot do a Remote (i.e. Server-based) search of your email. You can on a Blackberry with BES. Very handy for finding emails that you deleted off your phone and then realize (months later, maybe) you need back.

For more examples, go surf the Touchdown support forum.
    01-08-10 09:54 AM
    I believe that is false. Perhaps you should say "Touchdown Email works ALMOST as well as BES email worked on my Blackberry."

Just one example, in Touchdown you cannot do a Remote (i.e. Server-based) search of your email. You can on a Blackberry with BES. Very handy for finding emails that you deleted off your phone and then realize (months later, maybe) you need back.

For more examples, go surf the Touchdown support forum.
    Fair enough. On the other hand I did not know that feature was available on BlackBerry and I see no scenario that I would ever use it. So in my world, Touchdown email works as well as BES email worked on my BlackBerry.
    01-08-10 10:25 AM
    i use my droid for both corp email and personal (gmail) and i get the emails faster on my droid then i did on my storm 1 or storm 2.

i have even done side by side comparisons with my girls tour by setting up the same accounts on both phones and then sent an email. The droid got the gmail 9 out 10 times faster then the Tour. It was only by a few seconds but still non the less 90% of the time its faster then the Tour on BES.

Then with corporate exchange the droid got the email faster 10 out of 10 times. not just a few seconds either. most were about 20-25 seconds faster.
    01-08-10 10:33 AM
    This is my concern with dropping my curve 8330 and switching to the Droid. My I three account that I need access to, gmail, Yahoo (pop3), corp email (pop3) but I don't have or use exchange. How is the email "pull" from pop3 accounts? I can live with it being a little slower, but not inconsistent. Am I going to regret leaving BB because of the email and inability to easily sync to Outlook without an exchange server?
    01-08-10 10:41 AM
    Seems like most have Gmail. I have to use Hotmail.
    01-08-10 11:34 AM
    This is my concern with dropping my curve 8330 and switching to the Droid. My I three account that I need access to, gmail, Yahoo (pop3), corp email (pop3) but I don't have or use exchange. How is the email "pull" from pop3 accounts? I can live with it being a little slower, but not inconsistent. Am I going to regret leaving BB because of the email and inability to easily sync to Outlook without an exchange server?

i have not setup a pop 3 account but you can set it to pull at certain intervals.... i think the lowest is either every 3 or 5 minutes.
    01-08-10 12:04 PM
    Might as well stick with blackberry as far as email goes, especially if you use yahoo. Google phones stink using yahoo emails. Again I use my blackberry for business stuff and droid for everything else under the sun.
    01-08-10 12:15 PM
    Fair enough. On the other hand I did not know that feature was available on BlackBerry and I see no scenario that I would ever use it. So in my world, Touchdown email works as well as BES email worked on my BlackBerry.
    touchdown is the only way to go for exchange integration on android phones imo. not sure i'd still have my droid without that app to be completely honest.

as for searching for emails that may no longer be on the device and some other secondary email tasks, bb definitely has an advantage. the one time that i needed to find a message that was no longer on my phone i fired up the browser and logged on to outlook webmail to get what i needed.
    01-08-10 12:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD