Hey. Recently my mute button has been giving me problems. I used to be able to (relatively) easily press it with the same hand I was holding the phone with. Now thats impossible. And I gotta press my nail into it HARD and long for it to come out of standby mode. Sometimes it doesn't respond to me at all! Usually I do a battery pull it seems to make it somewhat better....sometimes.

From the threads I've read on this it seems most people suggest using the warranty. I called in today and apparently my warranty expired! They offered me a new bold 9000...for $550. Do I have any other options? Is there a way to fix this?
    01-07-10 09:48 AM
    Lmao@They offered me a new bold 9000...for $550

Your RIM warranty expires after one year. (unless there is a different policy in Canada)

Who did you call? Rogers or Rim? Go to blackberry.com, find the warranty phone# and call RIM.
    If that is what you did already, call and speak to a different operator.
    01-07-10 09:59 AM
    That may not fly with RIM. Trouble is I'm not the original owner of the phone. I've read the BB warranty statement and its addressed to "YOU the original end-user". Isn't it possible to have a Bold that is a year old yet?
    01-07-10 09:06 PM
    what about taking it apart and double checking the keypad.. might consider a replacement keypad to see if that helps.. since it's not under warranty, no worries..
    01-07-10 11:50 PM
    I can sympathize. I had one go the same way
    Luckily mine was still under warranty.
    I would have to agree that it you are out of warranty anyway take it apart and see if you can find the problem yourself
    01-08-10 12:05 AM
    I'm assuming by keypad you guys mean the mute button? Yea I was going to replace the bezel anyways (I scratched mine up cause I refuse to you as bulky case) and will replace it anyways. I'm wondering if it might be software related though? I've read on other forums that people replaced their bezel or reflashed their OS and the problem disappeared. Might be a good time to upgrade to OS 5.0....
    01-08-10 01:12 AM
    My friend talked to her cousin that works in RIM. Apparently I'm SOL. The warranty is not transferable from the original owner. A new mute button apparently needs to be soldered to the phone. And unfortunately its not his department so its not like he can take it to work and do it for me. I might just upgrade to the 9700 then. Rogers is offering it to me for $200 right now.

BTW new touch screen BB is coming out in the summer. It has no internal name yet...and of course no one heard it from me.
    01-09-10 12:56 AM
    This is a known hardware issue that, as far as I've heard, has never been addressed. When I bought my Bold, I exchanged it 4 times over a period of 2 days because the mute button was sketchy. Little did I know at the time that I would never use it again. To me the mute/standby button is redundant and not necessary. But if you feel like you need this feature then you should check out an application called auto-standby. That should fix your problems.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-10 05:58 AM
    I never use the standby option - not quite sure why people do. I lock the phone by pressing and holding the A and then use my password to bring it back. In fact, I use the locking function so much that I even have a convenience key assigned to it! Would way rather lock it than leave it in standby.
    01-10-10 10:19 AM
    my screen started to go out, it looked fuzzy everytime i took it out the holster/sleeper.

i took it to an att device support center, told them whats wrong.
    they told me my warranty was 2 months over. but they still replaced it as a courtesy.

its worth a try. hopefully they do it for you. just prove that the phone is defective.
    01-10-10 11:19 AM
    +1

I know from first hand experience that large companies want to do the right thing, and they'll look for a way to take care of you if they can. You never know how much trouble it is to have something fixed, and no company wants negative word of mouth advertising. The best thing to do is give it a shot, the worst that could happen is they say no.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-10 06:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD