Hello all.

I just finished installing my new Seidio Innocell 2600mAh Extended Life Battery. Before a moderator pulls this thread, I want to mention I do not work for Seidio, nor am I trying to advertise for them.

Just so you guys know what I'm talking about, the link to the product is here.

First of all, know that it adds bulk to the phone; enough bulk so your shell case or holster will probably reject your Storm2. I was very worried about this, because I use the VZW Rubberized Swivel Holster w/ Rear Cover Shell included. If any of you guys carry this, you know it snaps on the back holding the entire phone.

The main reason why I purchased the battery was (obviously) my stock D-X1 putters out at about 3PM every day, after a full charge ending at 8AM when I head to work. I do not consider myself a heavy talker (I average 2000 minutes a month) and only send/receive about 10 e-mail's a day. However, I message a large amount, including SMS, BBM, and Google Talk. I just couldn't handle my beloved Storm2 not lasting an entire day, and VZW has even swapped me out with a brand-new, unopened device. I experienced the same poor battery performance. I did everything that I knew how and read about to maximize my battery life, including setting the screen brightness to 10 (this is still more than adequate for me), setting my radio to 1XEV only, manually managing my WiFi to be off when I was not at home or work, and always making sure my unused programs were closed. I purchased MeterBerry to help me isolate the cause of the battery drain and unfortunately, it didn't help at all. But it was neat to have proof that my battery was being sucked dry at a rapid rate! I would average between 8% and 15% drain per hour.

My only previous solution was to surround myself with chargers. I carried two USB to Micro USB cables with me, and have 2 wall chargers at home (one by my computer and one in my bedroom), and one wall charger at work, and finally a car charger. This helped alleviate my problem, but I was constantly worried I would be out working at a client's business (I am an IT contractor) and not be able to charge my phone. I wouldn't allow myself to be embarrassed by a dead battery in my only communications device (a cornerstone to my business).

So as my previous solution had issues, I decided to pull the gun on the purchase of the Innocell 2600mAh. It cost about $85 total including shipping and tax.

I will reserve the actual review in a few days, but I wanted to start the thread now and talk about size/holster.

I have attached some pictures which hopefully will help everyone in seeing the actual size difference. However, the last 2 pictures show the phone in the VZW holster. Obviously the outer shell is gone, but I was very happy to see that the added battery bulk actually allowed the phone to happily sit in the belt clip holster. It was a snug fit and I see no possibility for the phone to lurch itself free, even with strong sudden movement. The only unfortunate downsize is that since the phone is now back to smooth chrome for edges, it is difficult to grab the phone to eject it from the holster. I will add my review of this unexpected holster ability when I post my actual review of the battery in this same thread.

If anyone has their own thoughts or feedback to the same battery, please let me know as I am interested in your experiences as well.

Just another link to the Seidio product page.

Have a great day and remember: Love your BlackBerry!
    Last edited by ajtouchstone; 01-07-10 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Added my new signature
    blue81to likes this.
    01-07-10 09:31 AM
    Thanks for this. I was waiting on some feedback on this battery. How is the battery door that shipped with the battery? Better than the extended one for the Storm1? I'll definitely be checking out this thread for feedback as the stock battery cannot do it for me.
    01-07-10 09:36 AM
    I guess you have no other choice but the added bulk is horrible. The phone is thick and heavy enough. I use the same sleeve but keep the phone in my pocket. I don't use the holster that it came with.
    01-07-10 09:40 AM
    Is the weight drastically different and what is your battery life at when you plug it in a night? Thanks for the info.
    01-07-10 09:41 AM
    Thanks for this. I was waiting on some feedback on this battery. How is the battery door that shipped with the battery? Better than the extended one for the Storm1? I'll definitely be checking out this thread for feedback as the stock battery cannot do it for me.
    I was slightly disappointed by the battery door they provided. First of all, I LOVE the battery door for the Storm2 (and the Storm 9530 for that matter too, regardless of the "fishhook" latches) simply because it is hard aluminum, rather than breakable plastic. I loved showing off my Storm2 to Bold 9000 and (especially) Curve 8900 users. I even know a Bold 9000 user that had to order a new door because theirs broke!

The Seidio door is thin, but hard plastic. It's actually bendable if you take it off the phone. It looks like it will resist scratching semi-well, but the part that clasps it to the phone is still made of plastic. I am worried it may break someday.

Pictures attached.
    01-07-10 09:43 AM
    Is the weight drastically different and what is your battery life at when you plug it in a night? Thanks for the info.
    The weight is actually negligible for me. Sure the Seidio is literally packed with cells, but the original BlackBerry battery wasn't feather-light either. However, attached to the (existing) heft of the Storm2, I really can't tell a difference.

I just installed the battery today, which is why my actual review of the runtime will come in a few days.

The packaging of the Seidio battery warns that peak performance will come after 4-5 days of use after initial 8-hour charge.
    01-07-10 09:46 AM
    I wonder how this is with the extended case from seidio.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-10 09:58 AM

I just installed the battery today, which is why my actual review of the runtime will come in a few days.

The packaging of the Seidio battery warns that peak performance will come after 4-5 days of use after initial 8-hour charge.
    Ok great. Thanks
    01-07-10 10:05 AM
    I wonder how this is with the extended case from seidio.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I spoke with one of their reps via chat, and they told me none of their cases were currently compatible with this battery. They were making products to fit it.

I believe the battery was just released on January 4, so this is a very new product.
    01-07-10 10:09 AM
    I spoke with one of their reps via chat, and they told me none of their cases were currently compatible with this battery. They were making products to fit it.

I believe the battery was just released on January 4, so this is a very new product.
    According to their site it was available 12/28

not that it really makes a difference
    01-07-10 10:29 AM
    Im curious, does anyone know if the battery its self is the same as the extended life battery for the storm 1 (sizewise)?
    01-07-10 10:33 AM
    Im curious, does anyone know if the battery its self is the same as the extended life battery for the storm 1 (sizewise)?
    The Storm 9530/9500, Storm2 9550/9520, Curve 8900, Tour 9630 all use the same D-X1 battery. However, the door/cover is different on all those models.
    01-07-10 10:38 AM
    According to their site it was available 12/28

not that it really makes a difference
    Thanks for the clarification. I had thought it was first available this past Monday.
    01-07-10 10:39 AM
    The Storm 9530/9500, Storm2 9550/9520, Curve 8900, Tour 9630 all use the same D-X1 battery. However, the door/cover is different on all those models.

In terms of the depth are they the same though?

will my extended life battery for the storm 1 fit under the storm 2 cover? It should be the same, I'm just curious if anyone has checked it out yet.

thanks

great thread btw
    01-07-10 10:53 AM
    In terms of the depth are they the same though?

will my extended life battery for the storm 1 fit under the storm 2 cover? It should be the same, I'm just curious if anyone has checked it out yet.

thanks

great thread btw
    As they used the exact same OEM battery, I will say with certainty that your extended life battery (I assume you are referring to the 1600mAh Seidio) will work in your Storm2 9550.

Thanks for the compliment.
    01-07-10 10:56 AM
    As they used the exact same OEM battery, I will say with certainty that your extended life battery (I assume you are referring to the 1600mAh Seidio) will work in your Storm2 9550.

Thanks for the compliment.
    no I'm referring to the 2600mAh for the 9530

But on a side note, the 1600 does work I can confirm that.
    01-07-10 10:58 AM
    no I'm referring to the 2600mAh for the 9530

But on a side note, the 1600 does work I can confirm that.
    It should be the exact same battery, but you will have to obtain the battery door separately.

According to my packing slip, it is a different part number. See attached.
    01-07-10 11:04 AM
    It should be the exact same battery, but you will have to obtain the battery door separately.

According to my packing slip, it is a different part number. See attached.
    That's what I was looking for, I have the S2 version on the way.

That's good news though, least the battery is the same part number.

Thanks for the information and pictures, I appreciate it.
    01-07-10 11:06 AM
    That's what I was looking for, I have the S2 version on the way.

That's good news though, least the battery is the same part number.

Thanks for the information and pictures, I appreciate it.
    How do you like the 2600mAh for the Storm 9530? Good? Bad? Ugly?
    01-07-10 11:09 AM
    At least they put metal hooks at the top. Hopefully the extruded plastic rivets will not give out.
    01-07-10 11:22 AM
    How do you like the 2600mAh for the Storm 9530? Good? Bad? Ugly?
    Very ugly, but worth it. the cover its self sticks out way further then what I could tell from your pictures. But the it did make a difference. At idle I was draining at .7% an hour according to meterberry on avg (saw .5 a few times). At my highest amount of play it would get up to 1.3% on avg (went as high as 1.6%). The only thing that stunk was that I bought the battery and about 3 weeks later I got my S2 Upgrade offer and jumped on that train.

they claim to add the same amount of bulk on the website, and maybe the do. Mine should be here either today or tomorrow, so as soon as it shows up I'll let know. but from the looks of your pics the cover looks to stick out as much as a third less then the one for the storm 1.

My battery and cover should be showing up very soon so I'll repost afterwards and let you know.
    Last edited by OneOfaKindDPC; 01-07-10 at 11:39 AM.
    01-07-10 11:31 AM
    At least they put metal hooks at the top. Hopefully the extruded plastic rivets will not give out.
    yeah that is a great point, I was happy to see that. I wasn't too thrilled when I saw the bottom of the cover, that part that snaps in on the phone appears to be plastic.

Guess only time will tell.
    01-07-10 11:33 AM
    yeah that is a great point, I was happy to see that. I wasn't too thrilled when I saw the bottom of the cover, that part that snaps in on the phone appears to be plastic.

Guess only time will tell.
    It is definitely plastic... Just one more reason to use QuickPull, instead of actually removing your battery.
    01-07-10 11:46 AM
    How does holding the phone feel with the new battery? I had the extended battery for my really old 8300, and it actually felt better in my hand. Is this the same case? Holding a thin thin device gave me cramps while typing, while holding a thicker device made my hand feel a little better. I guess i'm moving to the N900 (LOL, JK!).

How does it feel in the hand ? Thanks in advance
    01-07-10 01:19 PM
    How does holding the phone feel with the new battery? I had the extended battery for my really old 8300, and it actually felt better in my hand. Is this the same case? Holding a thin thin device gave me cramps while typing, while holding a thicker device made my hand feel a little better. I guess i'm moving to the N900 (LOL, JK!).

How does it feel in the hand ? Thanks in advance
    So far, I've only held it in my hand with a power cord attached. I actually called the Seidio guys to confirm that I should keep it charged 8 hours. When I powered it on for the first time, it had about 20% power, but after 3 hours, it was up to 100%. Nevertheless, the Seidio technician said keep it plugged in for 8 hours anyway for best battery health. I just said goodbye to $85 on this guy so I'll do anything to make it last the longest.

I'll let you know in a few days, but I will say that I loved the way my Storm2 felt in the VZW case/holster I linked above.
    01-07-10 01:24 PM
195 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD