So Verizon is getting the Nexus One...

I�m glad, as I was holding off on the Droid and Eris..

The storm was my first Smartphone, and after using it for over 2 years I will be happy to move on. BB's UI is too slow and clunky and their browser just plain sucks. way too slow. I have been using Opera 5 beta 2 and it made it a tad better, but not enough to keep me from getting the Nexus One as its one heck of a phone. I got to test one for a bit and was very impressed with it.

The storm is a decent phone, just got old and BB is not keeping up with other companies when it comes to their UI/OS. But, if your main concern is business it�s still hard to beat a blackberry...

https://www.google.com/phone/choose?locale=en_US&s7e=
    01-06-10 04:58 AM
    Can I come with you?

I accept check, money, or we can just use your debit card.
    01-06-10 05:19 AM
    Just curious what you think about the trackball? I wish they hadn't put one on the phone. Do you think it will be useful. I would love the look and probably the feel better if it didn't have one.
    01-06-10 05:32 AM
    Just curious what you think about the trackball? I wish they hadn't put one on the phone. Do you think it will be useful. I would love the look and probably the feel better if it didn't have one.
    It would have been better if they went with a track pad... but you cant win them all. as for the trackball itself, it worked just fine.
    01-06-10 05:58 AM
    im going too. storm did me justice...but a year+ on this thing and the OS is what really is my turning point...spring 2010/nexus one...lets do this
    01-06-10 06:10 AM
    I prefer the droid. nexus looks cheap and I love the option of a hardware keyboard

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-10 07:32 AM
    Looks great, but 5 hours of battery time running the internet? So many people are ******** about the battery on the S1 running .419 and that lasts much longer then that. Still...looks impressive. Now if only my company would support active synch instead of BES
    01-06-10 08:56 AM
    Looks great, but 5 hours of battery time running the internet? So many people are ******** about the battery on the S1 running .419 and that lasts much longer then that. Still...looks impressive. Now if only my company would support active synch instead of BES
    so it uses up a bit more battery.. thats ok because ill spend less time waiting for pages to load too...

most of my time using the bb browser is waiting for crap to load. unless i use opera, then its quicker.
    01-06-10 09:04 AM
    Nexus One review -- Engadget

biggest real complaint seems to be that you can't see the screen much in daylight. I dig the 5mp w/ flash (finally some companies are catching on that a flash is VERY necessary) But other than that, seems like any other android phone (not that that's bad, but i was really hoping google would blow the doors off with this one)
    01-06-10 09:38 AM
    I don't know why they decided to put a trackball on it....

I've read that it doesn't live up to the hype. The phone sure does look nice though...aside from the trackball.

If you haven't ordered it already, check out Engadget full review on it, they have a pretty extensive one on it.

If you're looking for a perfect phone (most folks who jump to a different type of phone make the naive assumption that the phone has no faults or shortcomings), you'll be disappointed as according to the review, the Nexus One has it's fair share.

I wouldn't own one...nothing against the phone really....but I don't see the point of getting a phone in 2010 that DOES NOT have LTE functionality...since that's launching this year.

If the Storm3 has it...that'll be my next phone. Reports I've read so far sound very promising, of all the new features, revised UI and webkit browser that was mentioned, it wasn't mentioned if it'd have LTE functionality...that's the big one for me this year.
    Last edited by fecurtis; 01-06-10 at 03:14 PM.
    01-06-10 03:12 PM
    The storm was my first Smartphone, and after using it for over 2 years I will be happy to move on.
    I am guessing you mean after using it for one year?
    01-06-10 04:56 PM
    To me the N1 looks like an upgraded Eris from VZW. I will wait for VZW to get the phone in their store to play with it, that is if Google allows it.
    01-06-10 05:04 PM
    so it uses up a bit more battery.. thats ok because ill spend less time waiting for pages to load too...

most of my time using the bb browser is waiting for crap to load. unless i use opera, then its quicker.
    I was thinking that too...the reason battery life is better with the BB browser is because it doesn't do anything. Anyone with Opera Mini ever noticed how the battery dies twice as fast and the phone gets more than twice as hot when you use it compared to the OE browser?

As far as the Nexus One goes it's not quite what I'm looking for, but unless something better comes along by Spring I will have one too. I would like for something to come along that's LTE ready and no trackball. Since I usually get a new phone every year or so anyway the LTE isn't a deal breaker, but it would be a plus if something else offers it. Other than that, I think the N1 is HOT!
    Last edited by ChuckH0308; 01-06-10 at 05:06 PM. Reason: edit
    01-06-10 05:05 PM
    I think the Nexus is a sharp looking phone, very sleek. But then so is my Storm.
    01-06-10 06:23 PM
    I was thinking that too...the reason battery life is better with the BB browser is because it doesn't do anything. Anyone with Opera Mini ever noticed how the battery dies twice as fast and the phone gets more than twice as hot when you use it compared to the OE browser?

As far as the Nexus One goes it's not quite what I'm looking for, but unless something better comes along by Spring I will have one too. I would like for something to come along that's LTE ready and no trackball. Since I usually get a new phone every year or so anyway the LTE isn't a deal breaker, but it would be a plus if something else offers it. Other than that, I think the N1 is HOT!
    Chuck, read the posts about th S3. It will be LTE and the initial hands on say it is already faster then the droid, has the new browser (which seems to rock) and one post said it would have substantially better battery life. The battery life could be an LTE thing as from what I have read LTE devices will be far more efficient then CDMA.

Not to say that Nexus One won't smoke it, and there ia probably easy 6 months in between releases but the S3 is sounding pretty hot so far.

01-06-10 07:27 PM
    Chuck, read the posts about th S3. It will be LTE and the initial hands on say it is already faster then the droid, has the new browser (which seems to rock) and one post said it would have substantially better battery life. The battery life could be an LTE thing as from what I have read LTE devices will be far more efficient then CDMA.

Not to say that Nexus One won't smoke it, and there ia probably easy 6 months in between releases but the S3 is sounding pretty hot so far.

Yeah, but then I'd have to wait until the end of the year, and I'm kinda ready for something new VERY soon. I'm thinking I could get the N1 or one of it's Brothers this Spring and then by next Spring or Summer I'll be ready for something new anyway and then maybe the S3. I dunno... I think I'll wait and see what happens in the next two or three months. I'm not sure I really HAVE to have 4G anyway, at least not right when it comes available.

The other thing is I'm trying to get my other half away from the iPhone and onto Verizon and there are only two ways that will happen. If VZW gets the iPhone it's a sure thing, and if there's a good enough ANdroid alternative I have a good chance. Then we can get two of them and a family plan. Tired of having one phone on VZW and one on AT&T.

There are some other factors, like whether or not I'll be able to tether with the N1. I will need that capability. I need to research Android more and available apps, but there are some things the BB doesn't do that I hope Android and/or available apps will.

Well, I just confirmed that I won't be able to speed things up and switch to T-Mo for it. I looked at their coverage map and though it shows better for home, the other two important places I need service are complete dead spots for many, many miles around.
    Last edited by ChuckH0308; 01-06-10 at 08:58 PM. Reason: edit
    01-06-10 08:37 PM
    All I want in an Android phone are two things:
    1. A competent mail push process. I don't care if it's 3rd party. I don't care if it's not free. Is there something SOLID out there that can support 1 Exch acct + 6 BIS-type accounts anywhere approaching the way BB does? Please advise.

2. Global functionality. Travel is a necessary evil in my work, and international travel can happen with as little as 36 hours' notification. I spent time on GOOG's N1 site last night, but couldn't ascertain if it's truly global compatible. Again, please advise.

I LOVE my S2, and will keep it (unless one of you want to buy it for a premium :P), but if the N1 can meet both of the above requirements it'll be added as a new line on my account as soon as it drops. Thanks.
    01-06-10 09:09 PM
    I'm eligible for an upgrade to my storm in August. It's a ways away, but I've already started looking for my next phone. I had my mind completely set on the Tour2, but then I realized that I would be sacrificing a lot of screen real estate. So then I was considering the Storm 2, but my Storm1 has done me wrong so many times that I don't know if I can fully trust the Storm2.

The Nexus one looks like a sleek, fast phone, and I won't let a couple of weak reviews discourage me from at least considering this as my next purchase. I mean the storm2 has just as many poor reviews. The thought of losing BBM is actually a much bigger concern for me.
    01-07-10 03:05 PM
    I'm there.

I will have the N1 when it comes to Verizon.
    The Storm has left such a bad taste in my mouth, I don't think I'll ever use a BB again.

It's sad, because I've been such a die-hard fan of RIM for years.

They had their chance and blew it.
    I still can't believe that had the gall to make .328 an official release.
    01-08-10 02:50 AM
    Is it me, or does the N1 look like a different colored Eris with missing buttons? And so far it sounds safe to assume the same exact 2.1 OS.
    01-08-10 02:59 AM
    Does anyone know of a way to connect to exchange without active synch running? My work only supports BES which ia why I stay with the storm, but if there was war to sync my work email/calendars then I would be looking seriously at Android.

01-08-10 07:38 AM
    Is it me, or does the N1 look like a different colored Eris with missing buttons? And so far it sounds safe to assume the same exact 2.1 OS.
    Nexus One hardware is much better... packing the 1ghz processor makes it one of the fastest phone out there... in terms of hardware that is... i have not played with it at all and im not sure how the software runs on it.

im considering the move myself, although part of me is hesitant... this will be googles 1st phone (although not their first attempt at an OS) and of course there will be bugs... there are always bugs in the first release. Ive got some time before my upgrade is available... maybe ill just sit back and see how things turn out.
    01-08-10 08:13 AM
    Does anyone know if the N1 or moto's new flip screen have multi-touch screens? When VZW gets an android phone with a multitouch screen, im gone.
    01-08-10 09:39 AM
    Neither the Nexus One NOR the Droid support multitouch. At least not in north america. Dunno about the flip screen moto
    01-08-10 10:07 AM
    Neither the Nexus One NOR the Droid support multitouch. At least not in north america. Dunno about the flip screen moto
    And let me see - Storm SUPPORTS multitouch? Copy and paste is a JOKE.
    01-08-10 10:51 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD