Note: This problem is likely to be caused by Bell's 9700 Browser issue (known issue/MT below). Read on if you're bored and want to learn about how BlackBerry routes even their wifi traffic through carrier/RIM proxies.

Following the update (installed via Desktop Manager) I was able to restore all my settings, but I have been unable to connect to the following data services:
    • Browser (known issue, master ticket 1938550)
    • Bloomberg
    • Google Sync, Maps
    • McLean's Mobile
    • many others…

These apps don't work even on wifi (which I am sure works).

Apps that do work:
    • Email (GMail, BlackBerry)
    • Google Talk
    • BBM, PIN
    • SMS, MMS
    • Shazam
    • The WAP browser

I've tried:
    1. Wiping my handheld.
    2. Downgrading my OS to .344 (and subsequently re-upgrading)
    3. Resending service books (after deleting every single service aside from Provisioning)
    4. Re-registering my handheld.

Sure, Bell has opened a ticket for me, but I'm not only extremely antsy, I'm frustrated that suddenly a large portion of my device is useless.

Has anyone else had this or a similar issue? What else can I try?
    Last edited by msanford; 01-06-10 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Added "Note"; added Google Talk.
    01-05-10 07:33 PM
    This is not a .423 problem. Bell is having a problem in general with the 9700 browser.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/97...l-tech-399541/
    01-05-10 07:37 PM
    Hi Sputnik,

Indeed, the known issue (master ticket 1938550) I quoted was for that. However, the BlackBerry tech support agent I reached quoted from the ticket saying that "no other data services are affected". Would this Browser issue also cause the spotty connectivity in other apps?

(Added) Then why would wifi not work? Perhaps this is owing to my lack of understanding of the BIS infrastructure, but I assumed Bell's APN was used for 3G connections, and that wifi data traffic would be routed nowhere near Bell. Therefore, it should work regardless of any network problem at their end.

If the answer is yes, I'll breathe a little better. I guess it's just my luck that Bell decided to faint at exactly the same time I updated my BlackBerry OS.

I posted this question expressly because the CSR made it sound as though Google Sync, Maps, Bloomberg and other third-party non-WAP data apps would be totally unaffected (though I don't believe it myself). As noaim said on the thread you linked: "interesting that just the browser would go down"�
    Last edited by msanford; 01-05-10 at 07:55 PM.
    01-05-10 07:50 PM
    Following the update (installed via Desktop Manager) I was able to restore all my settings, but I have been unable to connect to the following data services:
    � Browser (known issue, master ticket 1938550)
    � Bloomberg
    � Google Sync, Maps (only two Google apps I have installed)
    � McLean's Mobile
    � many others�

These apps don't work even on wifi (which I am sure works).

Apps that do work:
    � Email (GMail, BlackBerry)
    � BBM, PIN
    � SMS, MMS
    � Shazam
    � The WAP browser

I've tried:
    1. Wiping my handheld.
    3. Resending service books (after deleting every single service aside from Provisioning)

Sure, Bell has opened a ticket for me, but I'm not only extremely antsy, I'm frustrated that suddenly a large portion of my device is useless.

Has anyone else had this or a similar issue? What else can I try?

Patients grasshopper.... Bell will hopefully fix it... It is timing on your behalf that this happened at the point when you upgraded.

I would assume withing 2 days it should be fixed (we hope). Even with WiFi everything is crippled because it is the way the 9700 handles the data through certain HOPS.

we all pray Bell fixes this soon
    01-05-10 08:08 PM
    Even with WiFi everything is crippled because it is the way the 9700 handles the data through certain HOPS.
    That's what I was looking for! I need to read up on BIS infrastructure.

I've only had my Berry for 2 weeks. I guess I'm just being a nervous parent
    01-05-10 08:11 PM
    That's what I was looking for! I need to read up on BIS infrastructure.

I've only had my Berry for 2 weeks. I guess I'm just being a nervous parent
    There is no better place than Crackberry to learn everything about BB's
    01-05-10 08:18 PM
    I see that I committed a very bad typo and didn't include a "?" at the end of the original thread's subject; sorry about that, I meant to!

And thanks, I hope I learn quickly
    01-05-10 08:27 PM
    Hi Sputnik,

Indeed, the known issue (master ticket 1938550) I quoted was for that. However, the BlackBerry tech support agent I reached quoted from the ticket saying that "no other data services are affected". Would this Browser issue also cause the spotty connectivity in other apps?

(Added) Then why would wifi not work? Perhaps this is owing to my lack of understanding of the BIS infrastructure, but I assumed Bell's APN was used for 3G connections, and that wifi data traffic would be routed nowhere near Bell. Therefore, it should work regardless of any network problem at their end.

If the answer is yes, I'll breathe a little better. I guess it's just my luck that Bell decided to faint at exactly the same time I updated my BlackBerry OS.

I posted this question expressly because the CSR made it sound as though Google Sync, Maps, Bloomberg and other third-party non-WAP data apps would be totally unaffected (though I don't believe it myself). As noaim said on the thread you linked: "interesting that just the browser would go down"�
    the wi-fi has to connect through rims proxy server as well....
    01-05-10 08:31 PM
    I see that I made an unfortunate typo and didn't include a "?" at the end of the original thread's subject; sorry about that, I meant to!

And thanks, I hope I learn quickly
    01-05-10 08:33 PM
    the wi-fi has to connect through rims proxy server as well....
    Why on earth does it do that?
    01-05-10 08:33 PM
    it's all about security...if someone is using an enterprise BB connected to a BES, their company would want to know what they are doing over wifi as well as cell
    01-06-10 09:33 AM
    Why on earth does it do that?
    It is just the way Blackberrys work.

It also helps with the compression of data through their servers.

That is how we can get away with 500mb data plans, where iPhone users depend on a gig or more.
    01-06-10 09:44 AM
    Contemplating my earlier bolded outrage this morning over coffee, I came to the same conclusion. It's actually very clever, especially in an enterprise environment!

Thanks, cbunting and Fubaz for replying!
    01-06-10 10:17 AM
    Hi Sputnik,

I would say this is likely b/c most applications you have to set permissions, and if the permission is set to allow communication, this could be a problem allowing that app not to respond or run correctly.
    01-06-10 12:22 PM
    Strange problem and I don't see any others reporting the issue at least not here and FTR it has been a while since I went through the .423 thread.

If things are fine on WiFi but not BIS/BES that would point in my mind to the uSGSNs or GGSN. The test is simple. Shut down the mobility network on your phone and only have the WiFi radio on. Test data. Do this from one of their hotspots and from say your home WiFi network then report back(you don't say what wifi was used before). Better yet use the guide to tether and run wireshark(free realtime IP sniffer) to capture all the IP traffic. You will be able to see problems.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-10 01:18 PM
    Apparently I missed them but there are a few other threads on Bell service with .423. You said if you roll back everything works or did you just upgrade again without testing? If the problem is as stated in the other threads, all should be broken there as well unless some new feature has been implemented behind the scenes in the OS that does not play well with Bell servers.

01-06-10 01:26 PM
    If things are fine on WiFi but not BIS/BES that would point in my mind to the uSGSNs or GGSN. The test is simple. Shut down the mobility network on your phone and only have the WiFi radio on. Test data. Do this from one of their hotspots and from say your home WiFi network then report back(you don't say what wifi was used before). Better yet use the guide to tether and run wireshark(free realtime IP sniffer) to capture all the IP traffic. You will be able to see problems.

That was the first thing I tried. And things are not fine with wifi, I have the same failure mode as 3G. Whose hotspots are you suggesting I use? I've attempted at my office and at home, both of which work with all other attached devices.

As others have mentioned above, this is likely due to a known issue with Bell Mobility's servers. If I get desperate, I might try your tethering and sniffing solution, though.

Thanks.
    01-06-10 01:46 PM
    Apparently I missed them but there are a few other threads on Bell service with .423. You said if you roll back everything works or did you just upgrade again without testing? If the problem is as stated in the other threads, all should be broken there as well unless some new feature has been implemented behind the scenes in the OS that does not play well with Bell servers.

In my original post, when I said that
    I've tried:
    1. Wiping my handheld.
    it was clearly implied, I thought, that I tested it with each of those four items, in that order, and found that none of them solved the problem. I experienced the same failure mode with 5.0.0.344.

This serves to strengthen my belief that this is a case of Bell Mobility's servers causing the problem, as has been suggested elsewhere in this thread.

PS As I also said elsewhere in ths thread, I had meant to add a ? to the end of the original post title. The problem lies with Bell, likely not my 9700 per se.
    Last edited by msanford; 01-06-10 at 01:54 PM. Reason: PS
    01-06-10 01:52 PM
    We're back online, folks! Mostly, at least.

Browser works, data apps work, though Network Diagnostics still reports unsuccessful pinging (aka ICMP Echo Request).
    01-06-10 02:00 PM
    My radio apps do not work WTF man
    01-06-10 10:50 PM
    Radio apps as in streaming radio?
    01-06-10 11:47 PM
    Radio apps as in streaming radio?
    yes my radio streaming apps like iheartradio and acir radio. Nothing but downs since I got this phone. 1 month in now.
    01-07-10 12:31 AM
    Had the same problem, but everything was fixed earlier this afternoon, thankfully. My blackberry without viigo =

I had tried downgrading OS to .344 but it didn't help either. Everything is working fine with .423 now
    01-07-10 12:50 AM
    it's all about security...if someone is using an enterprise BB connected to a BES, their company would want to know what they are doing over wifi as well as cell
    LOL!

How naive.

Security is only as strong as the weakest point and most wifi people use are unsecured anyway.

The reason why everything proxies through RIM's servers is $$$$. That way you have to buy a BB data plan.

It's ******* lame, because when RIM goes down everybody's berries are out. I love my blackberry and it's features, I hate how RIM does this.

They should just use a 24h activation polling system where it'll check every 24 or 12 hours if you are provisioned for bb data, if you are, you can use any network stack (mobile or wifi) if you aren't, the device won't budge.
    01-07-10 01:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD